Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need feed back for new City Design  (Read 4795 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
Need feed back for new City Design
« on: December 06, 2010, 03:17:45 pm »

Ok so I have a love of symetry and circles.  That fondess has caused me to deisgn the following.

Problem is cirlcular forts are Hard to lay out work areas.  Especially living areas as well.  Originally I was planning on having several layers to this fort.  Living on one, workshops on the next, stockpiles on the third.  But I am looking at a more effective way of designating the areas.  So looking for help or sugestions from more advanced city builders out there.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need feed back for new City Design
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 03:55:16 pm »

It's huge, but nice.  I think it will smooth well.

I'm more of a dorf cube player, but this looks good for a flatter fort.
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 04:01:13 pm »

I like the design.

I usually focus on efficiency, myself, though, so mine would be a good bit tighter.

Usually it ends up being a pile of circles on top of one another.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 04:02:35 pm »

Looks good, though not efficient.  Would be a good design for multiple burrows.
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 04:02:41 pm »

You've ruined the aesthetics with that stripmine. Go down a level.

Things are a little vague. Where are the stockpiles? The dining room? The bedroom(s)? All of this is crucial to making an efficient fortress.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 04:14:11 pm »

Looks awesome. I tried to do something similiar awhile back, but ended up scrapping it as I was constantly running out of room for it in places and having to redesign it. Really should have picked a 3x3 embark to try mine on instead of a 2x2. That would probably look good as a giant surface tower/castle too like Bladeshoots.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-8328-bladeshoots

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 04:40:48 pm »

This would be a great design to use with burrows as most dwarves wont be sprinting all over the fortress.  Or if you care about aesthetics more than efficiency (and yeah the strip mine kind of ruined it on this zlevel)

Do you plan on placing the entire fort on one level or will there be other levels following a similar theme?
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 04:53:41 pm »

So far the plan is to have this fort in levels with the blank space in between the cirlces being used on each level.
Stockpiles, Workshops, living, etc. Central area was to be dinning room.

Problem is the circles look pretty but it is a lot of wasted space so I am unsure how to proceede.  Biggest problem is that there is no good lay out for living arrangements as a prime motive is to have a room for each Dwarf.

Part of this is that I am trying to make a "realistic" city.  So I don't mind it being not totally effcienct sicne there will be more things put in to give it a "real" feel to it, but finding room amid the design is getting hard.  At this point I am looking to scrap it in something more open, but I don't want to give up the super symetrical circular feel of this.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 04:59:18 pm »

So far the plan is to have this fort in levels with the blank space in between the cirlces being used on each level.
Stockpiles, Workshops, living, etc. Central area was to be dinning room.

Problem is the circles look pretty but it is a lot of wasted space so I am unsure how to proceede.  Biggest problem is that there is no good lay out for living arrangements as a prime motive is to have a room for each Dwarf.

Part of this is that I am trying to make a "realistic" city.  So I don't mind it being not totally effcienct sicne there will be more things put in to give it a "real" feel to it, but finding room amid the design is getting hard.  At this point I am looking to scrap it in something more open, but I don't want to give up the super symetrical circular feel of this.
I designed a fancy starburst/spiral pattern that is symmetrical (but not circular.) if you want to take a look.

Also, AHA!  I finally got an image to be embedded in a post!  Win...
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 05:05:20 pm »

You could have the central area as space for dwarven apartments, which increases efficiency. The dining area can be below it.

Also, a problem with your current design. you've only left 1 wall between most things and smoothing/engraving only does one side, s you'll get rooms being completely bland, despite the wall showing as engraved. You need two walls between things to ensure smoothing/engraving in every room.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 05:09:09 pm »

You could have the central area as space for dwarven apartments, which increases efficiency. The dining area can be below it.

Also, a problem with your current design. you've only left 1 wall between most things and smoothing/engraving only does one side, s you'll get rooms being completely bland, despite the wall showing as engraved. You need two walls between things to ensure smoothing/engraving in every room.
Are you sure that engravings only apply to one wall?  I was under the impression that an engraving affected all sides of the wall and dwarves only stood on one side for simplicities sake... (even though it being on one side makes more literal sense.)
[DWARFINEERING]

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 05:15:47 pm »

Are you sure that engravings only apply to one wall?  I was under the impression that an engraving affected all sides of the wall and dwarves only stood on one side for simplicities sake... (even though it being on one side makes more literal sense.)

I'm having trouble finding it, but I know that there was a very detailed thread showing the value of rooms and smoothing/engraving, but that was last version and the wiki doesn't mention it. (although the wiki has NOTHING on room value for 2010)

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 05:47:41 pm »

Does everyone get the space warp effect while looking at the original post's screenshot's circular halls, or is it just me?

Anyway, it's awesome. Do make it. Preferrably on many levels, if you can copy the designations and spam them.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 12:12:24 am »

Aesthiclly pleasing but in-efficent.Vey nice looking design. I love symmetry and this seems like a good example of that.
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 12:36:29 am »

Go with it, that's a great design aesthetically! I'm not one to know much about efficiency, but I can say your FPS would probably be pretty horrible if you copied this on multiple levels.

You should move it to an area where you haven't done much digging, that mining project on the East side does affect the viewer's ability to enjoy this. You could just clear it out and build appropriate walls I suppose
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: [1] 2