Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: What music are you listening to?  (Read 3697 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What music are you listening to?
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2010, 08:42:43 am »

I wish I weren't so picky about music. It's hard finding metal which is heavy, has really powerful guitars and lots of solos, but sing in low-pitched growl or clean vocals (instead of Death/Black metal screaming or the more high pitched growling) and aren't power metal (hate you so much >.> )

Agree so hard.
I thought I was the only one.

Anyway, not listening to anything at the time. Would listen if I knew more good bands.

Something along the lines of the heavier productions of Alestorm?

Slower and darker would be preferable. Also I dislike viking/pirate/ninja (forget that band ever existed) or any other warrior culture specific metal. Though I haven't heard a lot so there could be exception. I would prefer something that's closer to pure metal. Yeah I'm very picky about music.

Hmm maybe I'll look into it later.

As a quick fix:
What about Immortal Souls?
Probably doesn't feature the singing-style you wish, though.

Edit: It would help if you could post examples of something similar to what you are looking for.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 08:44:38 am by Mindmaker »

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2010, 08:59:01 am »

I checked Immortal Souls. It's closer, but the lyrics style isn't what I want. The lyrics would be like Machine Head's or Sleepytime Gorilla Museum's growling and the guitars would sound like Meshuggah or the heavier part of the groove metal sub-genre. But anyway you should probably give up because I'm too picky for my own good, and no one is forcing you to look for bands I would like anyway. I appreciate the help though.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2010, 09:18:13 am »

Slower and darker would be preferable. Also I dislike viking/pirate/ninja (forget that band ever existed) or any other warrior culture specific metal. Though I haven't heard a lot so there could be exception. I would prefer something that's closer to pure metal.

Maybe "Beneath These Waves" by Demons & Wizards?  Some Metallica ("Unforgiven"), Iced Earth ("Slave to the Dark", though maybe it's not slow enough), and maybe Iron Maiden ("The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg") might fit the bill.  Also some Therion ("Birth of Venus Illegitima").

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2010, 11:31:11 am »

I'm currently listening to Iced Earth - Slave to the Dark as suggested. Sounds good. I'll check out Therion next. Demons & Wizards though, I won't be checking because it sounds like something that will definitely have me called a nerd. Also the name sounds like it's power metal.
 Also Metallica is ok, I guess and I dislike Iron Maiden's vocalist.

Edit: Checked out Therion. I dislike most female vocals and opera vocals.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 11:33:40 am by tomas1297 »
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2010, 01:47:30 pm »

Demons & Wizards though, I won't be checking because it sounds like something that will definitely have me called a nerd.

Wait, so you listen to certain music not because you like it, but because it has prestige value?

Yeah, Iced Earth is pretty good too. But weren't you looking for lower-pitched tracks?

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2010, 01:56:42 pm »

Right now?

Shit Outta Luck by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

In general, Lots of Ska. Just finished downloading a bunch of Skavoovie and The Epitones.
Would The Barrymores be considered ska? I'm unfamiliar with the name, but I enjoy them. And the Aquabats, too :D

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2010, 02:26:28 pm »

Demons & Wizards though, I won't be checking because it sounds like something that will definitely have me called a nerd.

Wait, so you listen to certain music not because you like it, but because it has prestige value?

Yeah, Iced Earth is pretty good too. But weren't you looking for lower-pitched tracks?

Not really. I'm saying it's probably fantasy metal. Most of which is close to power metal. It probably has a lot of electronic sound effects and operatic vocals.
 Plus listening to metal in itself has low prestige value.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2010, 03:35:37 pm »

ha! Dethklok

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2010, 03:23:22 pm »

This is pretty sweet.  That is all.

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2010, 01:44:06 am »

The Rocky Horror Picture Show Soundtrack, watched it for the first time Friday and am now in love with it.
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2010, 06:22:45 am »

DIVINE HERESY - Failed Creation, Metal soothes the soul.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2010, 06:55:42 am »

Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 14, 2010, 04:30:47 am »

Fear Factory - My Grave, more specificaly, one with this really old black and white educational tv program. The songs awesome but watching the vid as well is really haunting.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 05:53:14 am by Metal Militia »
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 14, 2010, 03:55:03 pm »

deadmau5 - moar ghosts n' stuff
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5