Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Self Portraits...  (Read 3341 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Self Portraits...
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 05:52:47 am »

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 09:12:56 am »

But if we start being something different, we'll have to change the words in our songs!
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 09:15:03 am »

United Statesians? That doesn't make any sense. How about 'United States of Americkish People' or something more appropriate. Did you know, actually, that Mexico's official name is the United Mexican States? How does it make you feel that you're calling Americans the only USians, when there are multiple United States.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 09:52:49 am »

Usasists. Usasians. Usaish. Usaese. Or South Northern Americans. That's complicated enough, I think.
Love, scriver~

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 09:55:21 am »

Yeah, I don't call Chinese people "People's republicans" either. But on the other hand, even China doesn't have the gall to call themselves "People's republic of Asia".

The only other countries who have done that are Australia and (to a lesser degree) South Africa. I still need to find good names for them. SA has 11 official names, so I can stick with Suid-Afrikaans for them (close enough to my mother tongue for me to understand), but essentially that means the same so I'm still in doubt. Australians... just Aussies, I guess, as "Commonwealther" can mean "Canadian" or "Kiwi" as well. Tricky business, this.

Point being, the USA should've picked a proper name. Or just go back to being a colony again since you're messing up the place lately ;).

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 10:09:47 am »

I think the name was originally chosen because of the belief that the USA would eventually encompass all of the Americas.

All of them.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 10:28:19 am »

Hence: gall.

Arrogance doesn't sit well with Europeans; we shall not be outdone by a former colony in that aspect.  ;)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2010, 09:49:14 pm »

The United Provinces (later to become the Netherlands) were named because they consisted of provinces, not because they were a union of every province in the world. Similarly, the USA was named because there were numerous states (13 colonies) that were uniting on the continent of America. You can't very well say, "Let's call the whole thing The Democracy of Rhode Island" when only a part of the country is Rhode Island.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2010, 05:15:26 pm »

The United Provinces (later to become the Netherlands) were named because they consisted of provinces, not because they were a union of every province in the world. Similarly, the USA was named because there were numerous states (13 colonies) that were uniting on the continent of America. You can't very well say, "Let's call the whole thing The Democracy of Rhode Island" when only a part of the country is Rhode Island.
Oh that's a good idea. I'm going to call the US "Rhode Island" from now on, once for every time someone asks me if I'm from Holland. And I've got a large backlog.

Thanks, barbar, for this ingenious idea!  :D

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 09:54:01 am »

Australians... just Aussies, I guess

'Ocker' or 'Skip' both work, at least for Anglo-Australians.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 07:23:31 pm »

Australians... just Aussies, I guess

'Ocker' or 'Skip' both work, at least for Anglo-Australians.

Where did you get those?
[/post]

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 09:17:15 pm »

I think I beat you to the word Usains actually, on this very forum. But I realise now it is correct to call yanks americans. Or yanks. Unless you are discussing the whole american landmass then you could just say yanks. How are we expected to know the linguistic nuances of someone elses civil war? Or how about seppos?

@siquo I don't see where you're coming from with australia. It's a continent and a country composed of 8 states and territories. I just don't see the link between us calling australia australia and the US calling the US america?

btw you can call us aussies diggers or battlers or true blue  ;)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, 11:25:39 pm »

Usasists. Usasians. Usaish. Usaese. Or South Northern Americans. That's complicated enough, I think.
Except that we're not.  Mexico is a part of North America.  We're more like Central North Americans.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 04:22:40 am »

@siquo I don't see where you're coming from with australia. It's a continent and a country composed of 8 states and territories. I just don't see the link between us calling australia australia and the US calling the US america?
Papua is a part of the australian continent, as is Timor and parts of Indonesia, you insensitive clod!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia_%28continent%29

So, you got skips and abbies, I can live with that (well, not counting the Indos and Chinese but they already have good country names).

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 07:11:19 am »

Except that we're not.  Mexico is a part of North America.  We're more like Central North Americans.
Yeah, but you're not exactly central either just because there's something further south. It's more like South Central to Central North Americans. :D
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 [2] 3