Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Self Portraits...  (Read 3340 times)

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Self Portraits...
« on: December 06, 2010, 08:38:51 am »

So, I got tired of living alone and signed up for one of those dating sites... woo.  Not the topic, but I figure I should explain why I'm looking through tons of photos of people on my spare time.  ;)

Scanning through pictures upon pictures I find one recurring thing and it makes me wonder:

Why do you think people take a picture of themselves in the driver's seat of their cars?  I've seen photo after photo of a person sitting in the driver's seat holding their phone up in front of or off to the passenger seat to take their own picture.

Yeah, there's a fair share of people taking a "mirror" in the bathroom pictures as well... but I found it odd that someone would sit inside their car to take a self photo.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Self Portraits...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 09:06:03 am »

Good move, I found my gf through one of those sites, so they can work :)

Maybe it's a cultural thing? I never noticed car-pictures. Bathroom-mirrors I've seen, but mostly your average facebooky-look-at-how-pretty-I-am pictures.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 09:55:15 am »

Obviously they want to display their Car-Ownnessship, State of License-Have and Drive-Canitude to prospective mates.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 10:15:26 am »

From what we gather from movies and sitcoms (aka National Geographic about the Indigenous USians), cars perform a major role in US mate-finding.

Here (EU), not so much.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 10:57:10 am »

USians
Oh hell... you're one of them.  American refers to people in the US.  Canadian is for our northern friends and Mexican is for our southern friends.  Further South, the countries contained in the Latin and Southern American regions all have perfectly acceptable country names as well to differentiate them from the US.  This terminology that has been acceptable for decades and "USian" sounds retarded to me.

And as far as the "car culture"... usually people take pictures of the outside of a car and have someone else take a photo of them inside the car.  This is people taking pictures of themselves that I'm referring to.  There are no real distinguishing marks on most cars from the inside to show off the car.  Some high end/sports cars have their model embroidered on the headrest, so I guess that would work... but none of the cars I've seen have this.

It's mainly for curiosity.  I thought about it last night and I thought I'd see if people have any clues to why someone would sit in their car to take a picture of themselves.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 11:35:55 am »

Yeah, I'm one of "them", although, in my defense, I did come up with it by myself and have my own reasons for using it.

Perhaps they spend a lot more time in their cars? Perhaps their homes are unsightly? Perhaps they're already in a relationship and are being subversive? Perhaps the "mobile internet" has some relation to this (hmmm, traffic congestion, lets check the internet, hey a dating site, I could use a good lay, let's sign up, oh it needs a picture, ah, my phone can do that, *click* and there we go)?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 01:44:04 pm »

Spoiler: Offtopic (click to show/hide)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 06:54:48 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 07:09:06 pm »

Spoiler: More offtopic stuff. (click to show/hide)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 08:47:51 pm »

Spoiler: Even more offtopic (click to show/hide)

On topic: So, those dating sites actually work?!
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 09:08:05 pm »

Well, I figured I would be at it for some time, so I dropped a nice little pile of cash on a yearly sub.  I was talking to an awesome woman before Thanksgiving and I've been waiting on a reply.  I attribute that to the holidays.  Other than that hit... it's been pretty quiet.  It's typical dating though.  The guy pretty much has to initiate conversation and you'll get a response or get ignored.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 04:17:10 am »

Hmmm, I was approached by a girl "who was just trying it out". We dated, and we're now 4 years later and have a beautiful daughter.

So yeah, it can work.

Before I met her however, I was on a serial-dating-spree, so datingsites can accommodate both long and short term satisfaction (in my anecdotal experience, of course).

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 04:50:48 am »

Love, scriver~

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 05:08:10 am »

If I had to guess, because they're bored in their car, or the sense of Going To Do Things reminded them that they needed to take a picture.

It's also well-lit but still sort of inside, which I guess could have something to do with it.

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 05:13:46 am »

Pages: [1] 2 3