Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Uh, why did my feet just melt?  (Read 1565 times)

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Uh, why did my feet just melt?
« on: December 05, 2010, 10:40:53 pm »

I decided to train up my blocking skill by letting a warthog beat on me for a bit, but when I got over to it my feet randomly started melting. After a bunch of heavy bleeding it all ended and my feet were perfectly fine, albeit now completely missing their fat. It's not even particularly hot in the area I'm in and it only affected my feet. What the hell just happened?
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Uh, why did my feet just melt?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 10:43:27 pm »

Magmahogs.

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 10:44:15 pm »

Damned invisible magmahogs attaching themselves to my feet...

UPDATE: Shit. My toes started to melt too and I bled to death. Good thing I saved recently...

UPDATE 2: Seriously, this is getting extremely annoying. I made my way to a town that I've been to before and I know for a fact was perfectly safe back then, and I'm still melting. What the hell is going on?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 11:07:21 pm by Mythos »
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 11:31:44 pm »

Is it raining? Also, what does it say the temperature is when you press [P]?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 12:07:04 am »

I don't see how the temperature readout will help. He already knows it's hot enough to melt toes, he just doesn't know where it's coming from.

Also if your feet and toes are the only things melting check your inventory and see if there's any weird gunk stuck on your feet.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 12:15:59 am »

HERETIC! You have paid your price... Praise be Armok!

*Ahem* Sorry.
Disease or temperature?
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 02:33:42 am »

Questions:
- Have you fought any creature with special abilities recently? Fire breath? Acid blood?
- Have you checked your body parts & clothes for any foreign material that may have caused this?
- have you bathed recently or washed off any foreign materials off you through swimming or rain prancing?
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 08:45:35 am »

I recently fought and killed a dragon.  I escaped without significant injury, but soon afterwards began spontaneously melting.  The melting stopped only when I took off and dropped all my equipment.  Even after I left the site for some time and then came back, putting the armor I was wearing when I fought the dragon back on would immediately cause melting.  It's as if the armor had somehow permanently been made hot enough to cause melting.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Eagle_eye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 11:07:49 am »

dunk it in water. see if the water boils within 5 turns. If so,  you've got stuff hot enough to kill you pretty easily...

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 12:01:59 pm »

Yeah, and if that doesn't work, go on a quest to the icy north pole, find a crag into the icy depths of the underpole and put your armour there. That'll get it cold.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 03:13:23 pm »

Yeah, and if that doesn't work, go on a quest to the icy north pole, find a crag into the icy depths of the underpole and put your armour there. That'll get it cold.

Or murder his frame-rate melting the entire area..

It's quite possible the damn thing is bugged to always be at a fixed temperature, even if that effectively makes it an infinite source of heat. Just like with magmamen.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 04:01:29 pm »

The obvious question is: Do you also have such flesh melting gloves? If so, wear them, let them burn off the fat on your hands and see what happens when you grab peoples heads.

cikulisu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 04:20:18 pm »

i think we've got ourselves a really good throwing weapon here, gentlemen.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 04:22:12 pm »

Temperature bugs aside, fatty tissue melts extremely easily in DF. Think "high fever".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 05:04:00 pm »

Oddly enough, it's stopped happening. I actually had fought a dragon somewhat recently, so maybe it superheated my gear and it finally cooled down.

Pages: [1] 2