Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does worldgen deal with battles?  (Read 538 times)

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How does worldgen deal with battles?
« on: December 05, 2010, 09:15:20 pm »

I just got sent to fight a Titan that had apparently managed to kill 40 people. I expected to have a decent fight, but when I got there it was a blob made of steam that was instantly struck down with one kick. I'm not even specialized in kicking. When things fight during world generation, does the game actually bother to really simulate a fight? There's no way in hell this thing could have killed 40 people during worldgen if it actually does.
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

atomicoctobot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How does worldgen deal with battles?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 10:09:04 pm »

World gen would take much, much longer if actual fights were fully-simulated I think.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 07:52:12 am »

Titans and the like can not be killed by non megrebeasts in world gen.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 02:31:21 pm »

There seems to be some sort of PEMDAS at work. Common races of anything never kill Megabeasts and the like regardless of how badass they actually turn out (the best they can seem to hope for is to escape unharmed). I've even read of Megas that mercilessly dominate Clowns without much issue.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.