Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Toughness=Invincible?  (Read 5759 times)

Ktalyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Toughness=Invincible?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 03:40:23 pm »

You should try to recruit peasants instead.
Even if you can recruit only 2 soldiers you may be able to recruit 10 peasants at once.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2010, 08:08:54 pm »

Those asshole peasants never follow me anywhere

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2010, 08:41:29 pm »

I always rally together Peasant armies - Works for me
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2010, 09:02:11 pm »

Well that went off topic.

You can also lower your unnecessary stats (the vast majority of mental ones, basically) in character creation. Then you can put points into useful stats! :D
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2010, 09:16:20 pm »

You can also lower your unnecessary stats (the vast majority of mental ones, basically) in character creation. Then you can put points into useful stats! :D

Kinesthetic and Spatial Sense are the only two mental skills you really want to hang onto. Spatial Sense apparently has something to do with aiming an attack while Kinesthetic seems to help you dodge more attacks.

Of the physical skills, like so many others have said, Agility should always be the priority, but Endurance is an easy close second since it doesn't do you much good to have a super agile, Master Dodger if a lucky kick from a bogeyman breaks a finger and your adventurer immediately passes out from pain.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2010, 09:50:49 pm »

Willpower is also a stat you might want to consider keeping as well though, as it has been shown to directly influence how well your creature can resist pain/exertion effects.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 09:58:42 pm »

With max toughness I just brushed off 5 arrow hits, getting stabbed in the lungs, getting stabbed in the head, getting a hand cut off, getting a chipped bone (a chipped bone!) AND getting my feet cut off.

I love toughness.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2010, 10:51:39 pm »

With max toughness I just brushed off 5 arrow hits, getting stabbed in the lungs, getting stabbed in the head, getting a hand cut off, getting a chipped bone (a chipped bone!) AND getting my feet cut off.

I love toughness.

Isn't toughness supposed to be mean taking less injury from attacks, while willpower is how much pain you can withstand?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 10:55:10 pm »

I love toughness.

Isn't toughness supposed to be mean taking less injury from attacks, while willpower is how much pain you can withstand?
I would put my knowledge on toughness, because mine is max and my willpower is average, and I would have gone down from the stab to the lung if I had average toughness.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 11:54:29 pm »

I've discovered that toughness does not stop you from getting killed instantly by lucky headshots from carving knives.

bob2alien

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2010, 05:37:15 am »

I've discovered that toughness does not stop you from getting killed instantly by lucky headshots from carving knives.

Or random crossbow bolts as well. Had a dude with maxed out toughness, who's survived several goblin attacks all from the same faction and then he gets shot by a crossbown and killed.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2010, 05:40:46 am »

You guys are lucky  :'(

Whenever my suprehumanly tough advs with superhuman willpower once then break a toe or whatever they pass out about 8 times or whatever then get killed.

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2010, 09:12:25 am »

Nothing can save you from lucky shots, NOTHING, not even superior in all stats(using CE or other tools), and legendary dodger/fighter/everyotherskill.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 09:40:51 am »

Hint - lower all those useless, sublime stats like Intuition, etc. And you will get a few more points. I got str, agi, tgh maxed, and the hero was pretty awesome.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2010, 10:24:58 am »

Well, the wiki describes toughness as reducing physical damage. Not stopping headshots from being fatal is probably just a limit of stat; just like how even super-whatever agility you probably won't have speed much above 2000.

Hint - lower all those useless, sublime stats like Intuition, etc. And you will get a few more points. I got str, agi, tgh maxed, and the hero was pretty awesome.

Keep in mind, not all attributes are as worthless as they sound.

Creativity, Patience, Linguistic Ability, Musicality, Empathy, and Social Awareness do literally nothing in current adventure mdoe (Musicality currently doesn't do anything in Fortress mode either).

Disease Resistance and Recuperation aren't worth investing in because quick travel, sleeping, and waiting still cure all non-permanent injuries, but you probably don't want to dump them either.

Analytical Ability and Intuition are both technically used in Adventure Mode, for Knapper and Observer, but knapping is something you can train up easily and Observer is largely worthless because enemies never hide.

Memory decides how long after you see terrain do you remember what it's like.

Focus is used by Archer and Ambusher.

Willpower is used by Swimmer, and to resist passing out from pain or getting tired from overexertion.

Spatial Sense has an effect on combat, including aimed attacks.

Kinesthetic Sense affects dodging and Ambusher.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4