Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: I'm curious: Does anyone actually LIKE Aquifers?  (Read 7322 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: I'm curious: Does anyone actually LIKE Aquifers?
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2011, 01:27:26 pm »

I like embarking on frozen oceans and not relying on anything but caravans and stone  :D

That reminds me. Aquifers + volcano is the BEST. The squares around the volcano aren't wet and so are safe to dig through (not the obsidian. these tiles aren't hot either)

I love obsidian-making.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

noob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2011, 02:52:06 pm »

ocean c
aquifer x
channel h

ccchhhhhhhhhx
ccchhhhhhhhhx
ccchhhhhhhhhx
ccchhhhhhhhhx
ccchhhhhhhhhx

it drains the ocean for running water if you dont have a river.
LOSING IS FUN!

The_Countess

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2011, 06:20:23 pm »

Breaching with pumps is trivial if you have a single layer aquifer, doable with a two layer, and anything above three, don't bother.  The triple aquifer embark I had had two non-smoothable aquifer layers, and a final third layer of aquifer stone.  The issue arises that with soil layers, you have to construct walls to block the flow of water, and with stone layers you at least don't have to build new walls, you can just smooth, but either way you're stuck reducing the size of your breach.  I started with a 7x7 (reduced to 5x5 by walls) on the first soil layer and couldn't muster enough pumping to fix the next level, and then below that, I still had a meager 3x3 space to stop the third aquifer layer, and you can't even reasonably put a pump in there.

i can make a breach with pumps any depth i want, even through no smothable soil.

c=channel
x=ground

cxxc
xxxx
xxxx
cxxc

you can build pumpts to move water out of any of the holes into any of the holes.
on the channel below you can designate a dwarf to dig into the side and build a wall there. do that one side at a time and you'll be dry in there.

m=mine and wall
c = the tile channeled out from above)
x - dirt

so :z-1
xmx
mcm
xmx

and you  can then open up one of the sides and connect to the next corner. (working from both sides)
and in all but the last layer you can channel/build stairs, through the middle 4 block to help drainage.

and if you need a hole you bricked up(or boarded up more like) to pump water into just remove one of the walls, which can easily be restored later.

just keep moving the pumps around. i got through all the layers except the last one using only 1 pump operator. (the last one i used 2)
you do need to un-suspends wall construction a lot thou, which can be a bit tedious. but if you make sure you only have a few open tiles, and you dont move to far away from a the active pumps you can get it done with just a few un-suspends per wall.

You can try draining a higher aquifer layer into a lower aquifer layer to help with managing the outflow.  Just note, this is FLOW, and it will shove your dwarves down any trench you dig to try and help eat up the upper aquifer water.  My experience was 95% of the time they could eventually escape, but even still I had a casualty or two from flow shoving them down a level where water isn't draining.
grates! and you can make them from wood. no dwarf will ever fall in, and once your done on one layer you move on to the next.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]