Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Pathologic. Obscure Russian Indie Horror Game. Remake on Kickstarter  (Read 21154 times)

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
Re: Pathologic. Obscure Russian Indie Horror Game
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2011, 07:15:25 am »

Pathologic has made me disgusted with the actions I freely chose on many occasions.
Indeed. And my understanding is anyone with the stomach to play all three lines goes "What the fuck?" at things they did previously. Things like when you are the Horespex vivisecting a man in hopes of seeing what organs look how bad is something that makes sense. Then, when you get to that point as The Bachelor, WTF was that dumbass Horespex doing?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2011, 08:10:59 am »

If it is a bug, I'm sure it has a deep and profound meaning.

I did not survive my first fight as the Doctor. Or the second.

Combat in Pathologic is deadly.  Really, really deadly.  About on par with Penumbra, I'd say.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2011, 02:07:31 pm »

Hmmm... I'd like to play this.  Maybe something to do when I know some more Russian, over my winter break or something like that.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2011, 02:12:05 pm »

Combat in Pathologic is deadly.  Really, really deadly.  About on par with Penumbra, I'd say.

It is the one thing I find odd about Amnesia.

It isn't that you can't fight, it is that you can't even put up a fight. Giving me the impression that I am in some weird bubble.

Though I am probably mistaken especially since I havn't played Amnesia and I am trying not to see it incase I ever do play amnesia.

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 16, 2011, 11:29:09 pm »

It is the one thing I find odd about Amnesia.

It isn't that you can't fight, it is that you can't even put up a fight. Giving me the impression that I am in some weird bubble.

Though I am probably mistaken especially since I havn't played Amnesia and I am trying not to see it incase I ever do play amnesia.

You really need to play amnesia, it is much more scary than pathologic. Though pathologic, even with its faults, feels weirdly compelling. It feels "Immersive"

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2011, 04:22:45 am »

Amnesia is trying to be the kind of nightmare you wake up screaming from. Pathologic is trying to be the kind of nightmare you wake up crying and sobbing from.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2011, 09:35:39 am »

Pathologic is trying to be the kind of nightmare you wake up crying and sobbing from.

Then scrape your skin off with sandpaper in an attempt to wash of the dirtiness.

I have a mouth and I will scream.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2011, 09:42:50 am »

Amnesia is trying to be the kind of nightmare you wake up screaming from. Pathologic is trying to be the kind of nightmare you wake up crying and sobbing from.

Especially when you realize that....

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2011, 10:10:24 am »

Umm, that isn't quite what I got out of it.  I'll spare people my interpretation, because who the hell doesn't click on spoilers?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Twerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2011, 04:22:04 pm »

Call of Cthulu is about 9 or 10, so from what I've seen, about a 5 or 6.

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of Earth? That game was taaaaammmmeeeee. I'd put it at a 5.
Call of Cthulhu is no way that high, and I'm not even one of those guys who judges everything as unscary (System Shock 2 still definitely creeps me out). It was definitely pretty atmospheric at the beginning for the first couple hours, I really liked the chase scenes a lot and got into the game, but as soon as they gave you a gun things started devolving pretty quickly into mindless shooty-shooty bang-bang, fishmen or no.

So I guess my question is: What's the translation like?
[...] I recall a fan translation project in the works, but I don't think anything came out of it in the end. [...]
http://ice-pick.com/translate/forum/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=3409e5a49166fef7aa588352a5b94019
Yeah... I was holding off on picking this game up until this project was finished, but it's been an entire year with no notable activity at all. Real unfortunate, I was really excited about this, and things seemed to be moving pretty well at first. :/ The best laid plans and all that, I s'pose.
Free-to-play games are like the fountains in NetHack. At first, they look refreshing, but when you approach snakes pour out and eat you.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2011, 04:27:45 pm »

Actually that isn't true.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2013, 10:49:26 am »

Raise from your grave.

So I've been in a love-hate relationship with this game since I bought it off Gamer's Gate 2(?) years ago. Never managed to get too far in it, mainly because of the UI being a right pain in the plump helmet when using widescreen monitors.
For some odd reason at 2am I wanted to fire up Pathologic and give it another try. Got a couple of minutes into it before the UI made my eyes bleed and I went hunting on google to see if someone has done something. They have

I present to you the Pathologic HD patch. Complete with:
Widescreen UI support (1280х800, 1360х768, 1366х768, 1440х900, 1600х900, 1680х1050, 1920х1080, 1920х1200)
Some improved HD textures for "just few most important".
Widescreen videos.
ENB Series registries.
Support for both Russian and English versions of the game.

Forum post:
http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=12605
Plenty of mirror options to choose from there.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2013, 11:49:22 am »

I watched a friend play this some years ago... all I remember is buying meat from a kid, and then the kid just decided to kill us. Also the text on screen and the spoken dialogue didn't exactly match up... and I want to say it even contradicted itself once or twice. Caused a lot of confusion.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2013, 12:00:51 pm »

I watched a friend play this some years ago... all I remember is buying meat from a kid, and then the kid just decided to kill us. Also the text on screen and the spoken dialogue didn't exactly match up... and I want to say it even contradicted itself once or twice. Caused a lot of confusion.

Yup.  And I have a feeling it was all intentional.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2013, 12:26:14 am »

To life once again thread!

So Ice Pick Lodge has announced they plan to remake the game and back it via kickstarter or a program like that. There are no other details but it's still very welcome news. It seems only logical that there would be an English version with better translations if such a kickstarter did reach it's goal. 

The announcement translated via some other forums.

Original Russian announcement

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8