Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A Newbie's Fey Mood: A Magma Accelerator  (Read 5112 times)

Bluefinger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A Newbie's Fey Mood: A Magma Accelerator
« on: December 04, 2010, 05:50:29 pm »

Greetings fellow Gentledwarves,

Just popping over to join Bay12forums as I've been introduced to Dwarf Fortress relatively recently. Despite lots of Fun™, I have enjoyed the Dorfs experience and as such, love to make new fortresses to try and do things better every time. Which of course, leads me to the topic discussion:

I have had inspiration. A spark that now has found tinder and is growing into a flame of creation and experimentation. I've seen designs for pump stacks, but I haven't quite seen anything yet to suggest my particular idea. We dwarves often need to pump magma up from the deep, but what if we have a plentiful supply nearby? And what if we could exploit ready amounts of magma into a Mordor Approved Magma Trap™? All while furthering Dwarf Science whilst we do so! Yes, my inspiration was the LHC and the Fermilab International Linear Accelerator. And I thought, this must be done, must be experimented! We must propel magma at ever increasing speeds and distances! No goblin will ever be safe again!

I propose to you all a plan, an idea, a challenge. I propose... The Magma Accelerator. That's right, a Magma Accelerator. The principle is to see if a linear array of pumps will accelerate a particular choice of fluid (water or magma). For this, I've decided to start a new fortress just for the purposes of creating this project. From a nearby volcano, I will draw out a large enough pool of magma to act as a reservoir for the device. From that, I will create a tunnel and power system that will channel this magma out in a particular direction, and see how far I can spew the accelerated liquid. So, here's the setup I intend to build:

Code: [Select]
POWER-----#----#----#----#----#----#
PUMPS---->==   ==   ==   ==   ==   ==_G<---Floodgate
MAGMA~~~~|  |_|  |_|  |_|  |_|  |_|   |_____☹<- Target

The above example only has a few stages, but there can be as many stages as one might like (as long as you have the power to supply it all). From a chosen pool of magma, each pump will dump magma into a channel, from which the pump ahead will immediately withdraw and dump onto the next channel onwards. I want to see if this setup will accelerate the fluid flow as a function of continuous steps. The hypothesis is the more steps in the accelerator, the more the magma will be accelerated. And when the magma is then released from the linear accelerator, it will then fly out at an increased range, dumping a fiery wrath upon anything unfortunate enough to be in its range.

The power system and floodgate will be connected to the same lever. As such, the moment the lever is pulled, ALL pumps begin to work and the floodgate is open. The flow of the magma must not be impeded in any way, or there may be some Fun to be had. Also, aim will be rather limited so the device will function in the same way as a siege engine, only with the inability to even be turned. Probably advantageous to point the device along a channelled route for unfortunate goblins to follow in to.

So there, that's the idea. I will aim to build this, but if I'm not the first to do it, then that doesn't matter. What matters is that Dwarf Science is advanced, and that much Fun will be had. Anyone who wishes to implement their own accelerator can do so and post the results here. Note the number of stages and how many tiles the magma travels before falling a z-level. The device needs to be implemented at least two z-levels above an entrance in order to function. So, the project begins!

*Goes off to take over the nearest computer*

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Newbie's Fey Mood: A Magma Accelerator
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 05:53:43 pm »

Hmmm... Interesting idea. You could even use this across z levels with a little tinkering, and make it 2 pumps wide to increase speed further. I mean, hell, you could make it five pumps wide and recreate the magma flooded landscapes of yore if you have enough time to kill.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 06:02:48 pm by Gearheart »

Spoon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 06:07:00 pm »

Sounds cool, but for some reason doesn't match what I see when I think of LHC.  What I'd want would be either TWO magma streams getting smashed together at the target point, or somehow using this to generate magma mist (radiation), and then bathing victims in the radiation.

Bluefinger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 06:20:02 pm »

Hmmm... Interesting idea. You could even use this across z levels with a little tinkering, and make it 2 pumps wide to increase speed further. I mean, hell, you could make it five pumps wide and recreate the magma flooded landscapes of yore if you have enough time to kill.
Parallel stages would increase magma load, linear stages would increase speed. I just might have to empty the entirety of a volcano on a map now :D

Sounds cool, but for some reason doesn't match what I see when I think of LHC.  What I'd want would be either TWO magma streams getting smashed together at the target point, or somehow using this to generate magma mist (radiation), and then bathing victims in the radiation.
Hmmm, you are right. This might form a side-project to find ways of potentially generating magma mist.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 06:27:12 pm »

Magma mist? It only occurs after cave-ins...

*twitch*

I have a superdwarvenly dwarfy idea. Splash your two magma streams over a volcano, sprinkle a little bit of water over the top, and route all your sieges over the resulting magma mist with a side of obsidian. Worry not, as the falling rock will vanish in the semi-molten rock at the base of the volcano.

Bluefinger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2010, 06:37:49 pm »

Magma mist? It only occurs after cave-ins...

*twitch*

I have a superdwarvenly dwarfy idea. Splash your two magma streams over a volcano, sprinkle a little bit of water over the top, and route all your sieges over the resulting magma mist with a side of obsidian. Worry not, as the falling rock will vanish in the semi-molten rock at the base of the volcano.
Simplify idea to just one magma stream and one water stream, smash the two together and have an even more efficient implementation. Could be an obsidian farm on steroids as well.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2010, 06:43:17 pm »

Epic.
That is all.
Sadly, I'm not sure it'd work. As far as I know, flow speed is only dictated by pressure.
Screw pumps reset pressure.
Now, if the magma came from really far above the cannon... it would probably work.
Also: Automatic magma mister?
YESSSSSSSS

mcguinty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2010, 06:43:58 pm »

I was thinking about making something like a gauss gun and i came up with a similar thing.

I don't know if pumps accelerate liquids but I do know that a two level deep cistern of water will empty through a one tile hole in no time at all.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 10:23:07 pm by mcguinty »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2010, 06:51:44 pm »

MagmaMcFry has been speechless lately.
MagmaMcFry has admired a completely sublime graphite engraving of a magma death/destruction trap lately.

*twitch*

Do it, do it, do it, do it, do it. And give us a screenshot of the elves' faces.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2010, 06:59:37 pm »

Yeah, this will transfer magma horizontally faster than the typical pump setup. The only technically faster way to do it would be something like

█████
%%  █
%%  █
%%  █
%%  █
%%  █
%%  ██
%%     -->
%%  ██
%%  █
%%  █
%%  █
%%  █
%%  █
█████

Though it would use up a significantly larger volume of magma.

I can't remember the fortress I saw there horizontals pump stacks in but it's on DFMA somewhere.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 07:00:20 pm »

Yeah, pumps accelerate magma greatly.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 07:11:42 pm »

I can't remember the fortress I saw there horizontals pump stacks in but it's on DFMA somewhere.

This might be the one you are talking about. The "magma teleporter" that Hyndis made in his fort Axeglided.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-25980-magmateleporter

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 07:56:36 pm »

I thought this would be the Large Hadron Collider but with magma. I was disappointed. But, as this is still awesome, only slightly.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

Funburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 08:09:08 pm »

I may not understand the principles you're using here properly, but I have some questions about the linear-pump accelerator:
  • If Pump A drains 7 units of magma from one tile at its entrance and pushes it to the single tile separating it and Pump B, wouldn't it need to appear in the tile momentarily before getting sucked into Pump B?
  • If Pump B was accelerating that same unit of magma to a speed (?) higher than it was at when it exited Pump A, wouldn't there be an instant where there was not enough magma to fill Pump B's chute? (see the Moses Effect)
  • How would Pump B accelerate that magma to a speed higher than Pump A did -- would the magma essentially be "in motion" for the instant it was occupying the tile between A and B, and the mere fact that Pump B was active when the magma hit it would clue the game to flag the magma exiting Pump B as moving faster than the tile of magma that the pump took in?

As for the design I think I see in the masterwork engravings, I think it represents an array of pumps whose outputs have been connected to a chute with an egress smaller than the combined total of all the pumps attached to the chute. That design has a lot of promise. I think I'll make one of those some time soon.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 08:43:28 pm »

Does DF physics consider the momentum of a liquid? The second it exits won't it just fall to the floor anyway?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.
Pages: [1] 2 3