Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Graphics cards  (Read 2187 times)

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
Graphics cards
« on: December 04, 2010, 04:12:54 pm »

My computer Graphics card is horribly outdated can someone suggest a good one with a price tag of 150 euro to 300 euro
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.
Re: Graphics cards
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 04:16:46 pm »

One of the best middle-range ones on the market.

It'll last you a few years and certainly holds it's own on most modern games (averages about 30 FPS on full settings on the newest benchmarks).

Also, free games.

EDIT: Wait, what are your specs? Motherboard and CPU? And what's your power supply unit like?
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 07:07:15 am »

One of the best middle-range ones on the market.

It'll last you a few years and certainly holds it's own on most modern games (averages about 30 FPS on full settings on the newest benchmarks).

Also, free games.

EDIT: Wait, what are your specs? Motherboard and CPU? And what's your power supply unit like?

I have no idea, i know nothing about computers
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 07:24:34 am »

What does it say on the box? :P

Wait, does does the motherboard/cpu/power count? I used to just slap graphics cards on my computer, even though the comp was years outdated for its time.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 07:50:19 am »

I have this beautiful beast in my rig right now http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-100-MS The heatsink is an absolute monster.

What does it say on the box? :P

Wait, does does the motherboard/cpu/power count? I used to just slap graphics cards on my computer, even though the comp was years outdated for its time.

The motherboard can determine compatibility with some types of cards. CPU runs the game so a good card is wasted with subpar CPU. Cards are big power drains and some higher end cards require minimum wattage. ~500-600 Watts will run the 2 cards here just fine.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 10:15:40 am »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127510
Or the Newegg version of the card above:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127521&Tpk=MSI%20GeForce%20GTS%20450%20Cyclone
This is a card I was looking at; unfortunately I would have to upgrade my power supply as well, because I currently have a GeForce 220 1GB, and according to the Newegg power supply tool I would jump from 405W (with my current supply being at 420W max) to 538W or so.

Newegg's tool: http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html

Though I'm fairly cautious about MSI in general; I've definitely heard some mixed reviews (things being DoA, breaking fairly easy, etc) and I wasn't impressed with their motherboard (it came in a fairly cheap computer, but it still sucked). Either or, I think I know what I want (to maybe get myself) for the holidays.

I'm also open to any suggestions... I've taken my computer apart countless times, but I'm not sure what to look for in a video card. Preferably something that runs anything from WoW to New Vegas competently with my Intel Core 2 Quad processor and is around $200.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 10:33:20 am by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 01:59:04 pm »

The computer is pretty new and it runs games really well when they don't have good graphics.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 02:45:22 pm »

You need to give way more information.
The best graphic card in this range is arguably the geforce 460 1gb ddr5.
The hd6850 is better but a bit more expensive.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 03:19:08 pm »

Start>Run>dxdiag

Tell us what it says for processor, RAM, etc.  Also try to figure out the power supply, the only way I know to do it is to open the case and check the sticker but there are probably programs to do it.
Shoes...

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2010, 04:46:16 pm »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127510
Or the Newegg version of the card above:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127521&Tpk=MSI%20GeForce%20GTS%20450%20Cyclone
This is a card I was looking at; unfortunately I would have to upgrade my power supply as well, because I currently have a GeForce 220 1GB, and according to the Newegg power supply tool I would jump from 405W (with my current supply being at 420W max) to 538W or so.

Newegg's tool: http://educations.newegg.com/tool/psucalc/index.html

Though I'm fairly cautious about MSI in general; I've definitely heard some mixed reviews (things being DoA, breaking fairly easy, etc) and I wasn't impressed with their motherboard (it came in a fairly cheap computer, but it still sucked). Either or, I think I know what I want (to maybe get myself) for the holidays.

I'm also open to any suggestions... I've taken my computer apart countless times, but I'm not sure what to look for in a video card. Preferably something that runs anything from WoW to New Vegas competently with my Intel Core 2 Quad processor and is around $200.

I bought that card from newegg (the gts450) and it it was just fine on arrival. The heatsink really is one of the most beautiful things I've seen, I like looking at it since I have a transparent side panel. I only bought it recently (2 months) so I can't attest to it's endurance yet. But I've had zero problems with it yet.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139004 I use this PSU, it gives 550W and it's Corsair so you know it's reliable. Too bad you just missed the black friday sale though, it was 49.99 after rebate during.

My motherboard only has 1 slot for cards and the gts450 takes up the space of 2 cards (doesn't use 2 slots, just uses the space for 2)

I have a quadcore 2.33ghz with 4 gb of ram. With the gts450,

I played fallout new vegas on ultra at 60 fps no problem.
farcry2 high at 60 fps
resident evil5 highest at 70 fps

« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 04:49:33 pm by Acperience »

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2010, 12:49:54 am »

Time of this report: 12/6/2010, 06:47:04
   Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
       System Model: Inspiron 560 
               BIOS: Default System BIOS
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E7500  @ 2.93GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3292MB RAM
          Page File: 1021MB used, 5562MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode
Is this right?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2010, 01:37:22 am »

That looks pretty good to me.  What's the current graphics card?
Shoes...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2010, 04:01:08 am »

really the 450? that damn thing sucked, well in hardware world. save 170 bucks and get a 460, that version was the most efficient card from the 400 series.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2010, 04:45:42 am »

That looks pretty good to me.  What's the current graphics card?
          Card name: Intel(R) G45/G43 Express Chipset (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)
       Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
          Chip type: Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
           DAC type: Internal
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2E22&SUBSYS_04391028&REV_03
     Display Memory: 1422 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 32 MB
      Shared Memory: 1390 MB
       Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
       Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
      Monitor Model: DELL E196FP
         Monitor Id: DELA015
        Native Mode: 1280 x 1024(p) (60.020Hz)
        Output Type: HD15
        Driver Name: igdumd32.dll,igd10umd32.dll
Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.1749 (English)
     Driver Version: 8.15.10.1749
        DDI Version: 10
       Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
  Driver Attributes: Final Retail
   Driver Date/Size: 7/14/2009 02:15:31, 3805184 bytes
        WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp:
  Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-6D62-11CF-4D75-3324A3C2C535}
          Vendor ID: 0x8086
          Device ID: 0x2E22
          SubSys ID: 0x04391028
        Revision ID: 0x0003
 Driver Strong Name: igdlh.inf:Intel.Mfg.NTx86...1:iEGL0:8.15.10.1749:pci\ven_8086&dev_2e22
     Rank Of Driver: 00EC2001
        Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeWMV9_B ModeWMV9_C ModeVC1_B ModeVC1_C
Is this what you wanted?

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2010, 05:24:38 am »

Seems like you're using the computer's default integrated graphics. It taxes your comp's processing power, whereas a card is dedicated to graphics.