Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16

Author Topic: The Next Chapter, you control it  (Read 12098 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: The Next Chapter, you control it
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2010, 06:51:44 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
sorry, I encourage enthusiasm and such, but this goes a little out of bounds  :-[ this character is supposed to at least look human

Why?!? D: I can understand the reasoning for a movie or a comic, but as long as she thinks and talks like a human it shouldn't matter how she looks for a pure text work most of the time!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2010, 10:01:36 pm »

for the last character how bout a male.someone who probably is related to the research assistant in some way. We may consider a reason for clockwork to be at a high school (maybe under cover work? an attempt to connect to the world?) maybe this relative goes to school here and the fay magicians want to find the assistant through him. so they sent her to investigate. this person will not have any particular skills or powers and no initial knowledge of the hidden world. he probably will not take a liking to Aeta some of it because of jealousy some of it because of Aeta's "i'm better than everyone else" attitude.

He likes to get his messages across accurately. this is sign of distrust he will often speak this way to strangers or people he is not comfortable with. speaking with big words and fancy language is just a front, an attempt to sound smarter than he actually is. People who he knows better he will be more lax with his choice of words.

he enjoys competition. hates losing, and hates to admit he was wrong. He can be very stubborn.

there are other minor things like how his voice deepens (a less exaggerated batman voice hehe) when he gets mad.

How does Nolan sound for a name?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 01:38:24 pm by Scood »
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

quip

• Bay Watcher
  • ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2010, 11:37:45 am »

Making a character:
Spoiler: Character (click to show/hide)
Think a crazy old tramp who knows about the masquerade and either is avoiding it because of fear of the stange things happening or simply avoiding being silenced(depending on the stance the masqerade upholders take towards those who know of it).
Hell hath no fury like an angry vampire pimp.

Scood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2010, 01:35:17 pm »

Making a character:
Think a crazy old tramp who knows about the masquerade and either is avoiding it because of fear of the stange things happening or simply avoiding being silenced(depending on the stance the masqerade upholders take towards those who know of it).

for some reason when i imagine this character Bill Overbeck from l4d comes to mind hehe. maybe a little demoman mixed in.
...............___@@@__                  

quip

• Bay Watcher
  • ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2010, 01:53:11 pm »

I actually origionally(?) imagined a crazy drunk Russian guy, who then turned German and into a tramp. Anyway on the character suggested before hand. Nolan sounds good to me.

Scood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2010, 03:37:28 pm »

anyone else think there should be a separate thread for the actual chapters of the story?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:43:57 pm by Scood »
...............___@@@__                  

quip

• Bay Watcher
  • ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2010, 03:49:14 pm »

It would get a bit confusing woulddn't it?
One minute there'd be an epic confrontaion of destiny the next we'd be creating a history for a completely unrelated turnip farmer who would never actually turn up in the story.

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2010, 04:59:36 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
sorry, I encourage enthusiasm and such, but this goes a little out of bounds  :-[ this character is supposed to at least look human

Why?!? D: I can understand the reasoning for a movie or a comic, but as long as she thinks and talks like a human it shouldn't matter how she looks for a pure text work most of the time!
Hmm.. this could be a fairie in disguise and I will have a hard time fitting it in, but I suppose that I did say that it would be the readers choice... I suppose I'll use it. But the thing I was worried about when I said it would have to look human, is that I'd have a hard time fitting it into the story. where would something like this reside and all that. if it looked human it could blend in with society.

what are everyone else's opinions on this?

Making a character:

I'm liking this guy. he'd be a nice pitty character or a bit of comic releif.

for the last character how bout a male.someone who probably is related to the research assistant in some way. We may consider a reason for clockwork to be at a high school (maybe under cover work? an attempt to connect to the world?) maybe this relative goes to school here and the fay magicians want to find the assistant through him. so they sent her to investigate. this person will not have any particular skills or powers and no initial knowledge of the hidden world. he probably will not take a liking to Aeta some of it because of jealousy some of it because of Aeta's "i'm better than everyone else" attitude.

He likes to get his messages across accurately. this is sign of distrust he will often speak this way to strangers or people he is not comfortable with. speaking with big words and fancy language is just a front, an attempt to sound smarter than he actually is. People who he knows better he will be more lax with his choice of words.

he enjoys competition. hates losing, and hates to admit he was wrong. He can be very stubborn.

there are other minor things like how his voice deepens (a less exaggerated batman voice hehe) when he gets mad.

How does Nolan sound for a name?

Nolan huh? I can picture this guy and Oskar getting at odds with each other. that would be kind of funny.

Business post to follow.
What do you think? Yes? No?

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2010, 05:10:04 pm »

Elements
Spoiler: Antagonists (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Protagonists (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Misc Characters (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Setting (click to show/hide)

Now for the nitty gritty stuff.

What we still need:

How should the fairies be hidden? Invisibility like in spiderwick or fabelhaven? just hiding underneath our noses?

Quip, you contributed

we still have one more character slot open at max if you guys like Armok's character.

Also guys, I'm going to significantly reduce Aeta's age. by the way, how do you pronounce Aeta?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2010, 05:20:15 pm »

I'd guess in the same way one'd pronounce aether.

One interesting option would be that the ability to see the fae (and possibly also other creatures) is tied to how much one knows of them. Someone who'd just learned about the otherworld (the mythical side of the world where the fae reside) would sometimes be able to catch glimpses of it, or see a fae if it directly revealed itself. Once one learns more about the otherworld, more and more becomes visible and the real world becomes more and more interwoven without the otherworld. Running in parallel with this is the ability of those that know of the otherworld to tap into it's potential. For example, to us, a dousing pool is just another body of water, but someone who knows a bit about the otherworld will sometimes catch glimpses of the future in such a pool.

This create the interesting effect that children and 'madmen' can actually see and experience parts of the otherworld, making a monster beneath a child's bed very real. Since for a child it's merely fear and not a deep understanding, the monster won't be able to do much, but such a being would be a real danger to someone who's deeply engaged in the otherworld. Any results from the otherworld on our world will look like coincidence or freak accidents to normal people, but some know better.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 05:24:43 pm by Virex »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2010, 05:24:55 pm »

Yay my character got in!
Wait, why isn't she listed with the other characters?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Terrahex

• Bay Watcher
  • The Bee's Knees
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2010, 05:53:40 pm »

Yay my character got in!

becuase I want to hear what other people think about it first. maybe they can ecit a bit in ways that you'll like and so that I won't have to pull my hair out when trying to figure this thing out.

And Virex that would kind of explain imaginary friends and things that kids believe in, but as they grow older, they stop believing, losing thier touch with the Fairie world.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2010, 05:58:11 pm »

I like the idea you had about Armoks character being a fey in disguise since it opens up the fey having very varying abilitys and appearances
It's FEF, not FEOF

Scood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2010, 06:10:04 pm »

Name: Nolan
Race: Human
Appearance: a tall High School student, with blue denim jeans, a tan t-shirt a plad over shirt and sometime a whit jacket.
Powers: none
Bio:  is related to the scientists somehow either a relative or some other relation
Personality: He likes to get his messages across accurately. this is sign of distrust he will often speak this way to strangers or people he is not comfortable with. speaking with big words and fancy language is just a front, an attempt to sound smarter than he actually is. People who he knows better he will be more lax with his choice of words. he is not cocky he's very strong willed. he chooses his words carefully in order to sound more intelligent than he feels he is. He has a natural curiosity and thirst for knowledge.

fixed

I like the idea you had about Armoks character being a fey in disguise since it opens up the fey having very varying abilitys and appearances
Yay my character got in!

becuase I want to hear what other people think about it first. maybe they can ecit a bit in ways that you'll like and so that I won't have to pull my hair out when trying to figure this thing out.

well the problem i see with this character is that the fey world is supposed to be hidden. I don't think the character is a good fit if it cant disguise itself into something ordinary like the bug demon (it was just a bunch of bugs until recently).
...............___@@@__                  

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2010, 06:11:23 pm »

In most of the things I've read, Faeries live in another dimension which overlaps somewhat with the "normal" world. Also, they usually use a glamour (minor illusion which tones down the oddities of their looks) when interacting with humans. These could follow the rule of 'the more you know, the more you see' suggested earlier.

Fireman could exclusively live in Faerie, as he is a bit too conspicuous to let travel in the human world.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16