Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hatch Cover Question  (Read 2140 times)

Vinnie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hatch Cover Question
« on: December 03, 2010, 06:08:34 pm »

Will a hatch cover on an up-down stairs prevent travel both ways? IE: People coming from upstairs cannot move downstairs, and people from downstairs cannot come upstairs? Or will it only block travel from below?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Hatch Cover Question
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 06:13:20 pm »

A hatch cover is like a door.  If you just install it, it won't block travel at all.  If you lock it, it will block travel in either direction.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 06:34:25 pm »

Also, just a tip, hatch covers cannot be destroyed from below, so they are a good way to block off forgotten beasts or clowns.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 06:46:35 pm »

If you lock a hatch cover can something fly onto that level from the stairs above it and/or destroy it?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 06:52:12 pm »

If you lock a hatch cover can something fly onto that level from the stairs above it and/or destroy it?
a hatch cover can be destroyed from above, but not below.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 07:07:48 pm »

Huh... back in .16, actually, I do think a Forgotten Beast managed to destroy one of my floor hatch from below. I remember it, for my face litterally went from :| to  :o  because I had thought this was the perfect protection. Are there exceptions to the rule, or am I crazy and it destroyed actually an incomplete hatch?
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 07:22:21 pm »

Huh... back in .16, actually, I do think a Forgotten Beast managed to destroy one of my floor hatch from below. I remember it, for my face litterally went from :| to  :o  because I had thought this was the perfect protection. Are there exceptions to the rule, or am I crazy and it destroyed actually an incomplete hatch?

Very possible that you didn't have the hatch cover locked, so he stood on the hatch cover and broke it.  Something like that.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 07:32:11 pm »

Very possible that you didn't have the hatch cover locked, so he stood on the hatch cover and broke it.  Something like that.
*facepalms*
You're right, I don't think I'd locked it, dammit! Thanks for answering.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 07:40:19 pm »

S'happened to me plenty enough times.  Good luck on your new (double checked) security system!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 08:15:54 pm »

a hatch cover can be destroyed from above, but not below.
I'm not asking about if they are standing on it.
If the hatch is lock at z they can't destroy it at z-1 but if it keeps things from moving from z+1 to z can it also not be destroyed from z+1?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 08:20:46 pm »

To answer OP's question, a hatch cover goes on the floor and dwarves walk over it.  If you place it on an up/down stairway and lock it, dwarves will still be able to go up, because its blocking the floor, no the upward stairs.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 08:30:05 pm »

^ This.  A hatch cover, when locked, is basically a floor (that can be destroyed).  Dwarves can walk on it, and climb up the stairs.  But the floor blocks the down stairs.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 09:43:31 pm »

So Sphalerite has some 'splaining to do~

Or like choose to retract his statement that they block travel in both directions, stand by it, or clarify.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 09:47:50 pm by Shoku »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 10:02:48 pm »

So Sphalerite has some 'splaining to do~

Or like choose to retract his statement that they block travel in both directions, stand by it, or clarify.
They block movement from below up, and from the top down.
Thus, both directions.