Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: PeTA  (Read 7605 times)

Re: PeTA
« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2010, 04:07:53 pm »

Yes, because a website titled "PeTA Kills Animals .com" is the number one source for objective information.

It's an info-site. And it's backed up by reputable sources (go on their sources page). Oh, and news sites.

Anyway, I volunteered at an animal shelter for a bit. It always wrenched my heart out when animals were put down, but the vast majority of them got adopted. Hell, I got my dog essentially off the street. It'd been wandering for a few months, was massively underweight and had obviously suffered physical trauma (it's tail had been docked, despite the fact it's a mongrel, and, from what I'd been told by vets, it was probably without anaesthetic etc).

Ever since I've got it, it's been the loveliest pet imaginable. Sure, it has certain "bad behaviours" (it'll eat anything, even off the floor, and will try to get into bins to eat the food in there, we had to train it off eating shit, too), but otherwise it's perfect.

I'd be inclined to agree Aqizzar.

You both seem to be confusing cause and effect. A big organisation like PeTA puts down the vast majority of the animals they take it, a massive percentage compared to other animal adoption agencies, and these people think "HOLY SHIT PETA KILLS ANIMALS". And a site is born.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 04:09:48 pm by The Transcendent Tyrant »
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 04, 2010, 04:58:12 pm »

This is just copied from their entry in Wiki, but seems to be a valid or positive thing to do,
'Notable cases include the 26-minute film PETA produced in 1984, Unnecessary Fuss,[45] based on 60 hours of researchers' footage obtained by the ALF during a raid on the University of Pennsylvania's head injury clinic. The footage showed researchers laughing at baboons as they inflicted brain damage on them with a hydraulic device intended to simulate whiplash. Laboratory animal veterinarian Larry Carbone writes that the researchers openly discussed how one baboon was awake before the head injury, despite protocols being in place for anaesthesia.[46] The ensuing publicity led to the suspension of funds from the university, the firing of its chief veterinarian, the closure of the lab, and a period of probation for the university.[47]'

It is proper that people involved in vivisection are to be kept in check to prevent unnecessary cruelty. Their wider advertising campaigns do seem a bit tasteless at times. From the wiki entry it would seem as though they are an issue and campaigning group rather than operating as an animal sanctuary. I don't know if you have the equivalent of the RSPCA over there or not.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2010, 05:10:08 pm »

*snip*
Not to mention that the  PETA founder did  not help their own cause with her moronic "Pitbull dogs are killers and must be exterminated" comments.

Besides, I've heard this around from other sources. Their so-called "animal sanctuaries" have a far higher death rate than common dog pounds. There was some scandal about them putting down dogs 20 minutes after they had been brought to their "sanctuary". PETA sure doesn't practice what their preach in regards to animal care.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2010, 05:24:24 pm »

One of my friends had three Pitbulls.

Ugly as fuck but very loving.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 05, 2010, 08:00:00 am »

PETA's just another example of bad moralism. As they say, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. There's a lot of hypocrisy. I support animals rights activism, it gives an angle to at least pressure people who don't treat animals nicely. But PETA is just doing it wrong, so wrong that they even make other animal rights activists look bad and cause more harm than they help.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 05, 2010, 03:54:31 pm »

This is just copied from their entry in Wiki, but seems to be a valid or positive thing to do,
'Notable cases include the 26-minute film PETA produced in 1984, Unnecessary Fuss,[45] based on 60 hours of researchers' footage obtained by the ALF during a raid on the University of Pennsylvania's head injury clinic. The footage showed researchers laughing at baboons as they inflicted brain damage on them with a hydraulic device intended to simulate whiplash. Laboratory animal veterinarian Larry Carbone writes that the researchers openly discussed how one baboon was awake before the head injury, despite protocols being in place for anaesthesia.[46] The ensuing publicity led to the suspension of funds from the university, the firing of its chief veterinarian, the closure of the lab, and a period of probation for the university.[47]'
Wasn't that also the video that made a number of outright false claims, such as claiming a monkey being sprayed with water was being sprayed with acid, or that an autopsy was actually vivisection? So a number of good scientists got their careers ruined because some little shitheads decided to make up stories about them.

It is proper that people involved in vivisection are to be kept in check to prevent unnecessary cruelty.
Unless it's human vivisection, not really. If medical research requires an animal be vivisected, then forbidding it is tantamount to murder.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 05, 2010, 04:02:32 pm »

I am pro-animal testing, and I do not like PETA, mostly because of the way they operate. Animal rights should be those which prevent unnecessary cruelty, not rights that put them on a comparable level to humans. Also animals are delicious, and I'm not going to stop eating them.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 05, 2010, 04:03:35 pm »

I am pro-animal testing, and I do not like PETA, mostly because of the way they operate. Animal rights should be those which prevent unnecessary cruelty, not rights that put them on a comparable level to humans. Also animals are delicious, and I'm not going to stop eating them.

Agreed
[/post]

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2010, 04:05:39 pm »

Agreed
Double agreed.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2010, 04:08:06 pm »

I have vivisected rats twice in lab practices.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 05, 2010, 07:46:00 pm »

i shot a deer, gut it, took it home and butchered it, then i cooked it on my grill. best lean steak ever.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 05, 2010, 09:20:40 pm »

All I have to say about this is:

peta bread. Mmmmmmmm...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2010, 09:25:28 pm »

Maybe not 97%, but think about it.  How many people actually want to adopt grown animals, and usually not housepet animals, that have already been horribly abused and malnourished?
A fair few who like the idea of helping an animal like that, it would seem.  I mean, my uncle had a rescue dog.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2010, 10:51:25 pm »

I've been reading a few of the threads TTT has started, and I've gotten a sinking feeling... does anyone else think that TTT is The Merchant of Madness? They're sorta named the same way, and I just have that feeling that somethings up.

But, on topic...

Agreed
Double agreed.
Triple agreed.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2010, 10:54:45 pm »

Jegus, man. We already had fourteen conspiracy alt theories, and just when we'd decided on one (Everyone is Pathos, except Toady and Threetoe, who are Vahan) and you just had to come up with another one.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9