Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So I have a semester off  (Read 1872 times)

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I have a semester off
« on: December 03, 2010, 03:11:20 am »

More or less, my college is being a bunch of *expletive* and offering only two of the seven courses I need to finish up my degree in accounting for spring semester.  Basically I'm getting cut-down to a part time student whether I want to be or not.  So, what should I do now, play more video games, get a job, go to school and waste their resources in protest every day?  I dunno, I put this in Life Advice because who knows, maybe I'll actually get some good advice out of this. 

*mutters to self* Stupid college. *more muttering*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: So I have a semester off
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 03:17:14 am »

Internship, if you can still find one to apply to on short notice. If they're going to stick you with a semester of academic limbo, you might as well try to get some professional experience.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 10:43:19 am »

Internship, if you can still find one to apply to on short notice. If they're going to stick you with a semester of academic limbo, you might as well try to get some professional experience.

Yeah, I was going to suggest this. Or just take a break.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 04:01:59 pm »

Take an extra class that interests you, then play more videogames.

Preferably a class that either: heavily interests you, or b: could be to your advantage (job-wise)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 06:26:09 pm »

Stay home and work on a productive hobby project for fun (something you can show off to a future employer, even if it's not directly related to your field); hell, build a boat or something.  Keep a schedule, don't turn yourself nocturnal.  Don't overwork yourself, but do keep working.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 07:19:08 pm »

Learn a foreign language.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 07:25:56 pm »

Stay home and work on a productive hobby project for fun (something you can show off to a future employer, even if it's not directly related to your field); hell, build a boat or something.  Keep a schedule, don't turn yourself nocturnal.  Don't overwork yourself, but do keep working.
Take an extra class that interests you, then play more videogames.

Preferably a class that either: heavily interests you, or b: could be to your advantage (job-wise)
Learn a foreign language.
These are good ideas.
Listen to the good idea people.
They will not fail you.
or, you know, they'll fail catastrophically and your university will descend into a tantrum spiral.
Either way: Fun.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 08:06:08 pm »

All good ideas so far I must say. But... although this one isn't always an option for everyone (wasn't for me...) But if you are able financially...

Travel... pickup you bags and head out. Where did you always want to go ... and just bloody go.

Time and being able to pick what you want to do... will become more rare the futher along you go. YMMV, but often it will.

Just bloody go already...
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 09:27:16 pm »

I can't really travel, there are two classes I should probably take, a Pre-calculus math class, and "Essentials of Marketing Technology"  Sorry if I sound utterly bored by the prospect of wonderful classes I can take this semester.  Of the other classes available, about the only one that interests me that I haven't been in (I've had so many gen eds it would embarrass you all) is Intro to Entrepreneurship. . . and even then I have by doubts because you really can't teach entrepreneurship, but I digress.

I might be able to get a decent job and put aside some money for when I actually have to pay for Survey of Taxation, Survey of Cost Accounting, Survey in Finance, Essentials of Management Accounting and Essentials of Intermediate Accounting all in one semester. . . that is a lot of information about accounting to learn all in one semester.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 09:27:52 pm »

But what about languages?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 09:32:58 pm »

Meh, I've never really been interested by such things and would probably just end up dropping out of the class.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 09:34:42 pm »

Meh, I've never really been interested by such things and would probably just end up dropping out of the class.

Aww, too bad =/

Well, I'm sure there's something fun out there for you.

V-Norrec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 10:28:10 pm »

Well it doesn't help the only language offered is Spanish.  I get annoyed enough when I go to Home Depot and they have the little Spanish sub-titles on all the signs.  I have no idea why this annoys me so much, but it really really does.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 10:35:15 pm »

*twitch* I assume you are in college?
if so
WHY THE HECK DOES A COLLEGE NOT HAVE MORE THAN ONE LANGUAGE CLASS?
IT'S LIKE A CARP WITH ONLY ONE TOOTH! IT IS A CRAZY THING!
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 11:25:30 pm »

I hear that the University of Washington teaches 220 different languages, including 6 dialects of ancient Hebrew. That (and medicine) is what they're known for. V-Norrec's college must focus elsewhere. Not every college can attract teachers for different languages (no offense). If I were a really good teacher of Swahili, I'd probably teach at a college that people already go to to learn languages.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: [1] 2