Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with Professions-not-Appearing  (Read 502 times)

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with Professions-not-Appearing
« on: December 02, 2010, 10:25:19 pm »

Hi all, just modded a race of larger, playable Blendecs. Copied and pasted the Dwarf entity tokens before changing things to suit the race (to make sure I didn't forget anything important). When playing, despite the fact that everything else worked swimmingly, I encountered an odd problem: some labours do not appear in my civilians' labour list. Namely farming/related (and with it, all its sub-branches) and mechanics. Whilst I wouldn't have a problem with no traps and no farming (as they have [BONECARN] and are pretty savage), that I can't butcher corpses means that they will starve 100% of the time. I have [INTELLIGENT]/[CAN_LEARN]/etc. on, and they are able to do other things too.

What could I have left out or removed that would cause this?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Professions-not-Appearing
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 10:27:08 pm »

I've not heard of this occurring before. Are you sure you didn't remove any of the permitted jobs from the jobs list?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 10:27:24 pm »

Do you still have the [PERMITTED_JOB:XXX] tags for farming?

Darn, beaten to it!  :D
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

mrtspence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 05:55:40 pm »

Yes : P. And growing, and butchery, and all the jobs dwarves would have. Really confusing me, as this game seemed ridiculously easy to mod until this occurred.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 06:48:33 pm »

Hmm. Do they have the [OUTDOOR_FARMING] or [INDOOR_FARMING] tag? Don't know if not having at least one of those would cause that, but it potentially could.

As for butchery, what are their killing ethics? Ethics definitely affect what you can and can't butcher. Come to think of it, the KILL_PLANT ethic could have an affect on farming. Maybe.

Not sure why they can't do mechanics.

Did you try making a new world (or even reextracting the game and running the mod on that)? Sometimes stuff just gets randomly corrupted for no discernible reason. Not very often, but it happens. Sometimes awesomely. Usually not awesomely.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.