Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dick Cheney: Wanted Man  (Read 4844 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Dick Cheney: Wanted Man
« on: December 02, 2010, 07:05:48 pm »

Anyone remember that guy Dick Cheney?  He was kind of a big deal.  You may or may not be surprised to know that he has a lot of critics and enemies around the world.  Haters gonna hate.

Turns out, one of those haters is the current government of Nigeria.  They want Interpol to put him on the run.

Now, the idea that members of the last Presidential administration could have arrest warrants in other countries is not a new kind of speculation.  This one is considerably meatier, because it doesn't really have anything to do with the presidency.  It stems from when Cheney was CEO of Halliburton (remember those jokers?) a board member at KBR and stuff like that.  Cheney's companies did business with Nigeria in the 1990s, including striking deals with a brutal dictator, accused of out and out murdering people to grease business deals.  Like, deals with oil companies.  And it's no small secret that Cheney maintained a vested interest in Halliburton et al while he was Second Banana In Chief, but that's almost ancillary to the matter.  It's another one of those classic cases where it's a matter of public record that an international business struck deals with roundly despised people in a possibly illegal manner, and it's up to the guy who was in charge of the company at the time to prove that he had no knowledge or involvement, with something that is expressly the responsibility of a CEO.

So there you have it, Interpol is openly considering put out an international arrest warrant on Dick Cheney, for basically being an unsavory jackass.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dick Cheney: Wanted Man
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 07:07:17 pm »

Not going to happen. I really really don't think so.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 07:07:17 pm »

Read this on Reddit like five hours ago.  Pretty cool that he's in huge trouble.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 07:09:22 pm »

Read this on Reddit like five hours ago.  Pretty cool that he's in huge trouble.
Yeah, because the US goverment is soo likely to give in to the demands of Nigeria  ::)

As Criptfeind said, not going to happen.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 07:10:13 pm »

Yeah so what?  I just like the fact this happened.  Roll your eyes somewhere more boring.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 07:12:17 pm »

Seconding "Awesome but not going to happen."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 07:12:56 pm »

Yeah so what?  I just like the fact this happened.  Roll your eyes somewhere more boring.
But that's the point. Nothing happened. A third world country tried to get an arrest warrant on him, but nothing is going to come out of it. So yeah, would be cool, but not going to happen.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 07:13:41 pm »

@ChairmanPoo - It wouldn't be giving into the demands of Nigeria, but to that of Interpol.

Also, this is rather neat. Though I'm looking at it from the prospect  of global unification. The ramifications are going to raise some hell though.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 07:14:22 pm »

@ChairmanPoo - It wouldn't be giving into the demands of Nigeria, but to that of Interpol.

Okay fine.

Interpol will not give into the demands of Nigeria.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 07:16:03 pm »

Okay fine.

Interpol will not give into the demands of Nigeria.

Why not?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 07:17:18 pm »

Everybody be so cynical.

While I can't begin to make a prediction on the outcome, it's not so simple as America turning up it's nose at piddly little countries and their lawsuits.  The incident in question was already tried in court in the U.S., and is still on the books in a few other major countries.  More importantly, the U.S. has put up Nigeria as a hopeful fixerupper of democracies (as good as you'll get in Africa anyway), and between it's economic power and intelligence work has become one of America's closest allies in Africa over the past couple years.

Not to mention, y'know, America signed onto the Interpol treaties and stuff.  And this comes at the same time that the U.S. is screaming bloody murder about the Wikileaks guy again (Julian Assange), demanding Interpol come to our aid to charge the guy, and lauding Interpol's arrest warrant for his rape-accusal.  Not that America doesn't have a proud and still continuing tradition of blatant hypocrisy and rulelawyering when it comes to honoring international law and treaties.  It'll be fun to watch regardless.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 07:20:01 pm »

The incident in question was already tried in court in the U.S.,
and he wasn't condemned, afaik. I think that would play against him getting arrested, even if Interpol agreed.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 07:20:42 pm »

Seems like a pretty tenuous link anyways. So the guys under Cheney when he was CEO pleaded guilty to malfeasance. It's still a long jump to proving Cheney had any direct responsibility, because traditionally over here that's very hard to prove. I wouldn't be surprised if Interpol refuses just based on a lack of evidence.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 07:22:33 pm »

I don't think that would matter; as the charges are in another country. I don't think there is an international double jeopardy thing.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 07:24:08 pm »

Why not?

Because they have to chose to piss off Nigeria or the US.

Not that I would mind seeing him go, but I am sure that for the most part the government does not want a guy of his stature to get arrested,
Pages: [1] 2 3 4