Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Markus' graphics for unchanged raws [31.18]  (Read 829 times)

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Markus' graphics for unchanged raws [31.18]
« on: December 02, 2010, 05:09:45 pm »

I love playing with graphics but I hate having to modify the raws. All the current major graphic packs (Phoebus, Mayday, Ironhand) require you to use their raws, which means two unpleasant things:
- Every time a new DF version comes out, you have to wait for updated raws
- You can't ever switch to a different pack, which gets complicated if you (like myself) like to keeping your old saves and revisiting them months later

Wiki doesn't offer many graphics that don't modify the raws so I made my own. It's a composite of sprites from many other tilesets, I haven't drawn anything. Credits to the original authors, most notably Guybrush and Phoebus.

The tileset is fully adapted to the changes in 31.18 - eg. it has sprites for night creatures, bogeymen, it correctly shows the new items (cauldrons, ladles) and it's adapted to the bracelets/earrings/rings change. Please let me know if you happen on any tile that shows something else than it should.

It's designed to keep the text readable as much as possible so it doesn't change most of the special characters with acutes, tildas, umlauts, etc. It does change some, but only the most needed ones (eg. levers).

Here it is:

To use the tileset, simply save it to your data/art folder, give the file some reasonable name, then go to data/init/init.txt and edit the settings accordingly (= enable graphics, set this as the tileset to use).

It doesn't include creature graphics like dwarves and animals. Grab those from Phoebus' or Mayday's.

Here is a simple screenshot that doesn't really show much:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 05:25:40 pm by Jiri Petru »
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Markus' graphics for unchanged raws [31.18]
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 05:31:52 pm »

There's something with the walls that really piss me off. They are very hard to differentiate due to high overall brightness. Also it might be cause of the sample image, but it's also hard to differentiate objects if they are all grey. If you can improve those points it'd be very nice.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Markus' graphics for unchanged raws [31.18]
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 05:20:59 pm »

There's something with the walls that really piss me off. They are very hard to differentiate due to high overall brightness. Also it might be cause of the sample image, but it's also hard to differentiate objects if they are all grey. If you can improve those points it'd be very nice.

I think the objects are all made of the same stone. Tilesets don't determine color.
Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".