Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XVIII Game Over Scum Won! Happytown is now Scumville.  (Read 40903 times)

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
Re: Beginner's Mafia XVIII Game Over Scum Won! Happytown is now Scumville.
« Reply #285 on: January 04, 2011, 12:10:45 am »

It is now post-game analysis time

Don't be shy! This is where the learning happens.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #286 on: January 04, 2011, 12:19:24 am »

Oh hey wow, I was Mafia? Man, I didn't even know!
I am pretty proud of myself for actually acting town the first time I wasn't one.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 04, 2011, 01:02:46 am »

So... wait. Rather than back down from a lynch he wasn't sure of and Investigating me that night, the Cop chose to just let me die? : /
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 04, 2011, 01:24:48 am »

Is this the part where I rub in the fact that I had both scum nailed?
Probably not, since that would make me an asshole.

Anyway, my thoughts on the game, in no real order:
The day ending there when I wasn't expecting it was a stupid oversight of mine, and may have lost town the game.  I mean the the day ending time was there in HUGE LETTERS!
Lurking killed town.
Zrk's behavior made no sense as town or scum.  I concluded he was town since, in my experience, scum generally don't do stupid things like that.  I'm not sure why, but I think it has something to do with having a team depending on you when you're scum, and not wanting to let the team down.
The lack of actual scumhunting in this game was, to be frank, appalling.  Did no one read Dak's scumhunting guide?
Toaster and Irony was both very good ICs.  Good job guys.
Mindmaker is definitely ready for some real games.  Only playing in games with these replace-fests must be annoying.
Scum got away with A LOT of stuff they would get a lot of crap for in a real game.  Why did no one follow up on my posts?
Scum, why did you NK Lordnincompoop Day 1?  I was writing up a post against before I realized he was dead.  He was looking very scummy to me.  It even helped me realize some of things he did when he was reborn were normal for his town game.
Why did you lynch on MYLO, town?
Why did you not notice that warhammer tied the vote to save himself, town?  His reason was pretty obviously BS.
Zrk, not to be rude, but please try to learn to play the game, okay?  Not just roleplay like a madman.
You won fair and square, scum.  Good game.
That scumchat was tiny.
Quote from: Ironyowl in scumchat
Kamina's pretty sharp
Thank you.  *Bows*
Quote from: Ironyowl
Very clever, but tying the vote to save yourself will doubtlessly draw heat. Less heat than being lynched, of course.
I wish.  I wish.
Quote from: Taco Dan in scumchat
I've found it's easier to be mafia, because you already know who (or in this case who not) to kill. Scum can make it through the game with hardly any scumtells, while the town panics and runs screaming in circles.
Not to rain on your parade, but this was very much a BM thing.  You certainly did not make it through the game with no scumtells.  I honestly have no idea why people didn't care that you defended warhammer as if my accusations were aimed at you.  Even I caught on to that, and there are many players out there that are better than me.

Though I do find that scum is easier to play, if only because I have a disproportionate amount of experience as scum.  I honestly don't know how good/bad my town game is.
Oh hey wow, I was Mafia? Man, I didn't even know!
I am pretty proud of myself for actually acting town the first time I wasn't one.
Don't get cocky.  I did after my BM, and see what happened to me in Pararnormal 17.  You did not act like town.
You did pretty well, though. :P  Not perfect, by far, but pretty well.  You did win, after all.

And I think I'll stop it there.  I feel as if I've already given too much of my opinion on how people played.  I mean, if someone wants to know how I thought they played, I might write something up, but I think that's enough unasked for stuff. :-\

I'm honestly amazed I hit both scum.  So proud. 8)

*hopes this wasn't a fluke*

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 04, 2011, 06:57:22 am »

Spoiler: Ahem (click to show/hide)

Well that was entertaining to say the least.

Scum, why did you NK Lordnincompoop Day 1?
I honestly don't remember why we NKed him on the first nght.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 04, 2011, 08:51:56 am »

This was a fun game! Kudos to the scum for winning, but make no mistake: you won because the town were also newbies! You pulled shit you wouldn't get away with in a different kind of game!

Some thoughts from an outside observer:

a) Lurking kills games! The first lesson you should learn from this BM (as indeed from others) is this: don't fucking lurk! If you're town, it helps the scum; and if you're scum, it doesn't taste nearly as sweet. Play the friggin' game! Don't let it be forgotten for days! sure, holidays and whatnot, and it was still adequate, but your participation is what makes the game fun, not just for you, but for others. Never forget that.

b) Great flavour! Props to Argembarger for the Happytown motif and interesting action PMs. It's the flavour that makes a game enjoyable. You don't need to roleplay for it to provide immersion; the flavour's existence is enough to inspire you.

c) Kamina is right on two points: don't get cocky; and don't think you weren't transparent. The scum made both a good and bad choice in killing him off: good because it ensured their triumph, bad because the town was lost before and became lost again without him. Town! You need to get a clue! But you do that by playing, and at least now you've seen it done.

d) Arg: your modding was OK, but not great. There were times when a votecount or a notice for extension or the imminent day end warnings were not present. It's your job to make sure every player knows what's going on, and there were times when day/night events were a surprise: this is your failing. That's OK, we've all screwed up something, but for the future, please make sure you prod inactive players, post ample notices for day ends, and leave no room for ambiguity. The mod should be always reliable, never surprising. Tell people what you're doing and when.

e) The Zombie factor: I am conflicted about this. On the one hand, replacements are some times inevitable; on the other hand, they confuse more than help, especially in a BM game. I'd rather everyone is active and plays the game to its conclusion, and it's nice of dead players to volunteer to help, but on the other hand, Zombie SoAndSo gets things much more complicated than they need to be. I have no answers here, just a general sense of dissatisfaction. it was well handled, but it felt forced.

I'd like to hear opinions from the town players. Please answer these questions if you can:
1) Did you enjoy the game? Will you play again?
2) Was it active enough; just right; or too active for you?
3) How important do you fell the flavour quality is for your enjoyment of the game? What factors are more important?
4) How about the ICs? Were Toaster, IronyOwl & Vector able to tell you what you needed to know, guide you through the mafia thought process, and enhance your enjoyment of the game?
5) Given what you now know the game is, how would you make a Beginner's Mafia game better?

Thank you to all players, it was a fun game. I hope to see many of you stick around for other games, but remember: it takes a lot of reading, a lot of posting, and a lot of thinking. Now you know how much. We're playing only with forum posts here; so the game total is the sum of what the players put into it, so please do join more games only if you can keep up and add to the general wealth of text, scumhunting, flavour, and fun.

We want you to stay and play, but ask only one thing of you in return: keep up.

PS: Kamina, don't you get cocky either. Sure, you called the scum, while I was thinking it was Ottofar, and you've got some other recent victories, but come play more games: put your money where your mouth is. We all get some, miss some, and you've been doing great, but we want to see more of you.
My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #291 on: January 04, 2011, 10:13:21 am »

b) Great flavour! Props to Argembarger for the Happytown motif and interesting action PMs. It's the flavour that makes a game enjoyable. You don't need to roleplay for it to provide immersion; the flavour's existence is enough to inspire you.

Thanks, man.

I think I had too much fun with the flavor.

At one point I had to settle an issue through PMs because the night two flavor came with consequences I hadn't foreseen... But that won't happen again! And it didn't turn out to be that big of a deal and didn't reveal anything it shouldn't've.

d) Arg: your modding was OK, but not great. There were times when a votecount or a notice for extension or the imminent day end warnings were not present. It's your job to make sure every player knows what's going on, and there were times when day/night events were a surprise: this is your failing. That's OK, we've all screwed up something, but for the future, please make sure you prod inactive players, post ample notices for day ends, and leave no room for ambiguity. The mod should be always reliable, never surprising. Tell people what you're doing and when.

Whaaa? Vote Zathra-

Erm, sorry, just had a little flashback there. The Mafia never quite ended for me.

Thanks; yeah most of my problems were simply that my organization started to slip and crumble as time went on; eventually things got close to unmaintainable.
Probably because I was playing two games at the same time.

I'm seriously gonna limit myself to a max of two simultaneous ins, or one in and one mod.

But I hope to mod again! It was fun. And pretty relaxing compared to playing, haha.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 04, 2011, 10:40:10 am »

Yeah, flavor was fun.

I should've just pushed Warhammer. I knew he was scum.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 04, 2011, 10:43:38 am »

I agree. I liked the zombie stuff you did. :)

And dammit warhammer and Taco were scum.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XVIII -D3- Return of the Revenge
« Reply #294 on: January 04, 2011, 12:15:33 pm »

Warhammer, Kamina was after you by day's end. Given that it was he that was NKed, do you think that looks bad for you? Or are you not worried?

Taco Dan, please explain why you're not scum. Kamina was getting pretty heated towards you, but didn't vote for you, which meant that he could have been a "safe" NK without drawing too much attention towards yourself. What do you make of this NK?

Shoulda never let those two go, but Zrk2 got to me. :/
Good game though. Less lurking than my first BM (but just barely).  Flavor was good, which is pretty important to me, it makes games more interesting and fun. Otherwise the game would seem rather bland and I might not like it as much. Future games could be better through forced participation. >_>
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 04, 2011, 03:33:17 pm »

I told you guys. If I were scum I would have shut up. So playing as I crazy is totally ineffective? Crap, that is my favourite plan. What should I do to be better in future games?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

NativeForeigner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 04, 2011, 03:38:47 pm »

Scumhunt, don't lurk, don't "Act crazy", be helpful. Even if you're scum, stay active and "scumhunt".
Yeah, you're a dick, NativeForeigner.
Quit being such a dick, you dick.
Maybe if you weren't such a dick you wouldn't be such a dick.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: January 04, 2011, 03:54:06 pm »

Gah. I had lots of fun playing the fool, but I will try to do it differently next time.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #298 on: January 04, 2011, 04:12:56 pm »

Props to IronyOwl for being a very helpful IC throughout the game.
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 04, 2011, 09:50:24 pm »

I hope that I helped out some people here.  I didn't do much past the first day, but it was really because I didn't see any questions.

Good game, and I hope you first-timers enjoyed it and join in again!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22