Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Halberds  (Read 4310 times)

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
Re: Halberds
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 03:51:48 pm »

I am rather partial to Halberds myself, but I prefer the spear or the rather similer naginata from japan.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 03:54:46 pm »

The mighty katana is made of steel folded 10000 times, and beats the halberd anytime.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 04:23:47 pm »

Yeah, I personally prefer glaives.  They do roughly the same job, but they're a hell of a lot lighter, which makes them easier to use against infantry.  I think.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 04:28:38 pm »

I've always liked Spears and Pikes, rather than Halberds. Probably as a result of watching some tv program on english tv, in which the pike formations usually toasted anything they were deployed against unless they were hit with a lot of missile fire or got attacked while moving/in the side or back.

Also, I love the mighty katana. I know it's stereotyped, and I can't help it.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 04:33:45 pm »

I like spears in some games, but I tend to prefer Diablo II bardiches.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 04:35:35 pm »

Japanese thief-catching weapons are kind of amazing, too...

There's just so much weird innovation over there.  The katana is neat, but I think the real marvel of that country would be the sheer variety, effective or not.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 04:37:23 pm »

Now you got me curious, what are those thief-catching weapons? Any pics or links?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 04:39:17 pm »

I don't think I ever used spears or bardiches in diablo 2. Always axes, swords, staves or wands. Occasionally clubs.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 04:40:58 pm by Burnt Pies »
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 04:48:57 pm »

Now you got me curious, what are those thief-catching weapons? Any pics or links?

Here ya go... one, two, three.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 05:01:51 pm »

The mighty katana is made of steel folded 10000 times, and beats the halberd anytime.

The katana does not "beat" the halberd.  They're very different weapons suited to very different situations.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 05:13:32 pm »

Someone is taking this way too seriously.

I have always had an inordinate love of halberds, and have always wondered why they don't show up more in fiction and games.  They're the final evolution of massed-block-infantry weapons, but they seem to me like they'd make great solo-duelist-adventurer weapons.  If it was balanced like a quarterstaff, you could use a halberd like a staff, an axe, and a spear.  I know they're not balanced, they're supposed to be end-heavy.  But it would work.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 05:17:58 pm »

Exactly!  Hence the glaive.

Goddamn, I wish there were more glaive-users in fiction.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 05:24:10 pm »

Okay, confession time.  When I was a teenager, I made an RPG setting that was going to be a D&D setting but wound up used for other purposes.  Whatever.  The relationship is, the main "bad guys" of the setting were badass Mongol type dudes, whose signature weapon was a modified-halberd-glaive thing.  Balanced like a quarterstaff and slightly shorter, it could alternately attack like a staff, spear, or axe, and worked like a spear or axe on horseback.

The balancing part was a brainstorm - I was screwing around with a broomstick one day, and got the idea of adding a length of chain to the opposite end of the pole.  Say, about foot and a half long.  The chain would balance the weight of the axe-head, and would be useful in one-on-one type fights, where you could disarm and whack people with it like a flail.  And it makes a handy whip, for that dual-horseback use.  Sure, it's the idle daydreaming of a teenage nerd, but I still think it would work perfectly well.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2010, 05:25:26 pm »

Oh great, Aqizzar has now made me want to design and test this. I really want to see that in action.

Though, I'm not 100% on the definition, but I thought the picture in the first post was called a Pike?
Okay, so I'm by no means clued in on this, but I thought that a Pike was the Spear/Axe combo, and a Halberd is a Quater-staff/Sword combo?
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2010, 05:26:36 pm »

Nah, Pike is a long-ass spear. Halberd is a spear + war hammer + axe thing.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5