Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magmawheel reactor?H  (Read 1267 times)

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magmawheel reactor?H
« on: December 02, 2010, 11:54:32 am »

has anyone tried this?

If nether cap axles are magma safe, then couldn't someone make a magmawheel?
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

Jorshamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magmawheel reactor?H
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 12:01:18 pm »

I remember hearing that magma doesn't provide flow, and thus can't power a waterwheel, magma-safe or not. Could be wrong, though.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 12:28:01 pm »

Would make an interesting perpetual pump-stack.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 02:29:24 pm »

I remember hearing that magma doesn't provide flow, and thus can't power a waterwheel, magma-safe or not. Could be wrong, though.

This is true. Magma flows but doesn't provide the the in-game mechanic of "Flow" which waterwheels require.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 04:23:45 pm »

Yeah, it's too bad.  I'm going to test the axle thing myself, and then see if I can make a magma-windmill as well. 

For !!SCIENCE!!
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

jdturner11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 04:27:18 pm »

Make sure to get screens of the attempt!

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 04:30:20 pm »

Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 04:31:12 pm »

You could probably use the power generated to pump the magma up, to create a magma fall in the meeting hall. To generate mist.
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 04:33:51 pm »

You could probably use the power generated to pump the magma up, to create a magma fall in the meeting hall. To generate mist.

Falling magma doesn't generate mist - magma mist only happens when a cave-in smashes through magma.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 04:45:29 pm »

Confirmed.  Nether cap does not burn.  I need 1 more to see if a windmill made out of it won't deconstruct.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BTW, that was my first magma cannon, and  when I turned it on, and burnt my sentry pets to death, it was so effing *beautiful* i wanted to cry.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 05:17:13 pm »

Falling magma doesn't generate mist - magma mist only happens when a cave-in smashes through magma.

un related but when I had a massive cavein not anywhere near magma, the combat logs mentioned boiling magma instead of cavein dust.  not like my miners caught fire or anything.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 05:49:44 pm »

un related but when I had a massive cavein not anywhere near magma, the combat logs mentioned boiling magma instead of cavein dust.  not like my miners caught fire or anything.

That's just a display bug - the game occasionally refers to cave-in dust using the material's gas state name rather than its solid powder state name.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.