Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recommended Flash Drives?  (Read 1239 times)

Recommended Flash Drives?
« on: December 02, 2010, 07:03:38 am »

I need two seperate flash drives, preferably with memory between 8gb and 32gb and with a price (per each) of upto about £30.

One needs to be Windows ReadyBoost compatible (I'm fairly certain all of them are, but they claim not to be), so I can beef up the RAM on the system I'm building without forking out for even more expensive RAM.

The other just needs to be fairly durable, as I'm going to be lugging it around.

Thanks in advance, ladies and gents.

( Does this even count as "Life Advice"? Oh, well. )
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Recommended Flash Drives?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 11:45:37 am »

dunno about price in quid but sandisks are on sale over here with 16gb for 30 bucks in america. i wouldn't depend on these for ram though, their good when the system is dying on ram space but they are not fast as a ramchip. so this is going to depend on what are you going to do?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 02:13:24 pm »

It's mainly a gaming system, to be honest. My hard drive's a bit poor in terms of write speed, too, (although the cache IS 64MB) so I'm hoping a bit more RAM (in the form of USB sticks) will alleviate the problem.

I've got 8GB of RAM already, but I can't really afford anymore (this computer is breaking the bank as is), and some flashdisks are cheaper than RAM.

And, yeah, I looked up Sandisks. On Amazon it says they're not useable for ReadyBoost.
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 02:15:35 pm »

you have 8 and need more!?! what the hell are you running? hell Bioshock 2 doesn't suck that much.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 02:24:32 pm »

also readyboost is software protocol now instead of hardware. ok whats the specs on your computer, i need to know what are you running in start up because the fact you need more memory than 8gb is strange unless you are running a server side also.
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 03:27:28 pm »

I was planning on doing some server hosting for the lulz. (Also, MSCE.) I'll grab the specs later.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 01:28:38 pm »

Hmmm....... I see why you don't want to upgrade the ram. 

http://www.frys.com/catreq/966

Edit: and http://www.frys.com/category/Outpost/PCtab/Drives,+Blank+Media+&+Storage/USB+Flash+&+Mini+Drives/16GB/

Thought about it and maybe you prefer memory sticks.

Edit2: Have to say it:  Fry's is the best store in America.  You just have to go the one in Phoenix to understand.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 01:45:42 pm by nordak »
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 03:32:11 pm »

hes in England.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 03:59:55 pm »

although the cache IS 64MB

So the cache is a certain amount that won't be directly written to the disk, at least not immediately?

and it won't be lost either?
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 05:17:50 pm »

So the cache is a certain amount that won't be directly written to the disk, at least not immediately?

The data in caches is kinda like pre-buffering. It consists of resources that your computer "considers" to likely to be used again, and so it's easier to store it in the cache and be ready to drag it out when it's needed.

Let's say you're playing a game and you keep coming across a certain texture, but a significant amount of time passes each time you go to and from this texture. Your cache might store that texture in order to be able to use it quicker.

At least, that's how I remember it being explained as.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 05:18:26 pm »

although the cache IS 64MB

his cache is irrelevant until he can provide more information of his build.
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 05:31:22 pm »

GPU - XFX Radeon 5870 (with free games! Not sure if this is Black Edition or not, doesn't really matter)
CPU - Not a clue where it is at the minute. :| It's dual-core and AMD, I believe.
Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB SATA-II 64MB Cache
Motherboard - ASUS M4A87TD

I should be using a 650W PSU with this, right? :| I've got a 500W one and a 650W one and probably a few lower wattage ones stuck in a corner somewhere.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 05:33:40 pm »

ok what are your ram chips and whats their clock speed and what programs start up when you boot the machine?
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 05:40:24 pm »

I'm still waiting for the stuff to get here.

Damn it, man, you take the fun out of it. Like... </3

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 10:26:23 am »

fun only starts when you are happily enjoying video games and other fetishes in life.