Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The 7 dwarfs of Sun! (new way to play come inside)!  (Read 2624 times)

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The 7 dwarfs of Sun! (new way to play come inside)!
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 02:33:34 pm »

What about a completely outside quarry? As in a fully channeled out mine? not leaving one place(maybe except for caves, not that you'll ever reach them) underground, maybe except for ore and gem, which will be mined out, other than that, the mine is completely outside. What about that idea?

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 02:36:30 pm »

BTW for people asking about traps and mechanisms; then play the A style :D

Everyone else, do what i'm doing

Make the largest barbaric Bone equipped army ever; only using weapons of who they killed.  (if dwarf b wrestlings goblin with iron short sword, that is now his weapon; you just have to check with 'view' before hand and then give weapons when you check the kill list, later on I stop doing this when things get to complicated.

Also build your tower UPWARDS to the heavens; your kingdon i mean; it doesn't have to be huge and on 1 floor; it's a different play style going up.

that's why if it's your first time then do some mining for rocks; but once you got it down then make it to where you have to trade for your stuff.

honestly the best part is makin war dogs > over traps, and when stuff starts dying makin tons of bone crafts/weapons/armor :D.

you'll also get a lot of free equipment from goblins.

TIP/RULE
now no matter which choice you go with; you may dig a basement for PILES only; this will free up a lot of room up top.  also i reccomend you place a stairway connecting each pile and having the piles be under the workshop they correspond too.  This will help speed things up big time.  BTW only 1 basement :D

oh yeah and post pictures when you got your castle going :D i'll be starting this today as i ran out of time last night :D.  I did just lose 120+ dwarf fortress with cotton candy weapons and steel army (35+ in my army). And i had loads of legenday, i take so much time to make sure only a few dwarfs are doing each skills and no hauling so they get maxed out quick; while all the jack of all trades do all the hauling :D.

but yeah, just lost fortress i'm still morning... twas funny I had a 12 year old child who became mayor by his own choice; i didn't elect him :D rofl!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 02:53:54 pm by Smackinjuice »

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 05:51:55 pm »

I really should be preparing for finals, but instead I'm going to play this a bit.

Anyone have advice on genning up a world where I'm at war with the elves?
At last, she is done.

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 06:08:37 pm »

I'm still figuring that out, pissing them off works the best.  Seize there items all of them, and kill if they fight back; but i believe you need to let at least 1 run away for them to find out you did it.

Dunno for sure how it works...

I been figuring out the adv. map gen, and perfectworld df.  I been making 100+ titan/megabeast/semimegabeast worlds that are mostly pure evil with some good spots.  so that way you get way more options of living where ever it is EVIL.  Also way more demon types and night creatures for you adventurers :D.

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 06:44:05 pm »

I have done this multiple times. It is a lot of fun.

My latest one was Winterfire, an aboveground fortress that harnesses the deeps for minerals, animals and silk. I stopped playing it and uploaded it to DFFD. Take a stab and enjoy.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling DFer, Legendary Lazy, Proficient Sleeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 07:15:14 pm »

Due to a lovely 2 and a half Aquifers in the area I picked to make a giant lake, I'm pretty much doing B out of necessity already. on the bright side its shown me how to melt sand to glass, make an artificial pond for a hospital, and start up leather working. on the minus... where's the frakkin Invasions?! second year, the only hostiles are the occasional harpy that harrass my dwarves, and maybe 2 kobolds. still waiting on the bucket load of cheap rock to create cave in zones, then i can get some real dwarvin goin. Also just a river? No, just the start of the dwarvin Lake, no one down the line's getting water when I'm done >:3.
what, we all gotta start somewhere right? Also will be slowly replacing roof floor and wall tiles with Charcoal. cause yeah. now can i get some caravans? i got no leather and no metals...

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....
The last.... 4+ pages.... all demons.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 07:26:22 pm »

Oh, puh-LEEZE. Real men TRADE for stone.
;-)
As it is, you can get everything you need from the caravan, you just need something to trade with. Without digging at all, this means you are limited to selling anything you can get from just wood, wildlife, and vegetation. So wood crafts are obviously available, as are meals cooked from hunted meat or fished creatures and leather products. Can't think of anything else though.
But from just those, you can buy all the stone, ore, metal bars, sand, etc. that you could ever want. You just won't be able to ever get water when it's freezing out...

Hey Frosty_Dorf, you should try ROADS made of charcoal sometime. And then add magma when the human caravan shows up. ;-)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 07:38:01 pm by Frogwarrior »
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 07:36:46 pm »

I'm still figuring that out, pissing them off works the best.  Seize there items all of them, and kill if they fight back; but i believe you need to let at least 1 run away for them to find out you did it.

Dunno for sure how it works...

I been figuring out the adv. map gen, and perfectworld df.  I been making 100+ titan/megabeast/semimegabeast worlds that are mostly pure evil with some good spots.  so that way you get way more options of living where ever it is EVIL.  Also way more demon types and night creatures for you adventurers :D.
A better way is to offer them wood repeatedly until they refuse to trade and then after they pack up kill them all.

Frosty_Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling DFer, Legendary Lazy, Proficient Sleeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 09:45:40 pm »

Hey Frosty_Dorf, you should try ROADS made of charcoal sometime. And then add magma when the human caravan shows up. ;-)

hehehehehehe, a tower of charcoal rising out of the landscape my friend. the test tower is complete and I now have proper understanding of Fortifications and walls. Still, adding char roads is a good idea. or is it gonna be !!Charcoal!! :3
aw hell, EVERY[thing] CHARCOAL!

honestly, that was a ragequit moment.  The friggin thief just walked on past and grabbed it.  There were like 100+ floors yet to be placed.
My computer struggled to load all the demons.  Then, next frame, I check the unit list....
The last.... 4+ pages.... all demons.

Smackinjuice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 12:02:36 am »

Guys you forgot the sun dwarfs' our greatest trade export.  Bones of our slayed enemies :D  you can make armor, crafts, couple weapons, and decorate with bone!

Also if it gets boring without invasions (i know i usually don't start even having my first one till i get 80+) you may dig down a tunnel into caverns for some fighting there.  The main thing with this play style is that your dwarfs live above ground.  But yeah, hardcore men trade for what they can't get :D

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 12:08:57 am »

You're doomed come mood.

Mood doomed.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 12:59:16 am »

hehehehehehe, a tower of charcoal rising out of the landscape my friend. the test tower is complete and I now have proper understanding of Fortifications and walls. Still, adding char roads is a good idea. or is it gonna be !!Charcoal!! :3
aw hell, EVERY[thing] CHARCOAL!

the sad thing is, constructions (walls and whatnot) can't catch fire.

But Roads.... CAN.

So make the only entrance to your fort be a huge, long charcoal road with charcoal bridges. And put a magma source nearby.
>:)
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 01:55:34 am »

Okay!  Here we go.  My puny dwarves, too elven to even bring a pick, have embarked to build their snow-covered above ground fortress.

I will have no stones other than the ones I brought with and the ones I'll have to trade for, but that doesn't mean I'll be short on building material.  Why you ask?  Because I'll be building my tower with the remains of my foes.

The walls of the main spire will be made entirely from elf and unicorn bone.  Oh, yeah, and the armor too.  Any other bones I harvest will go into making floors, crafts, and bolts.

Here's my equipment:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And the embark:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll post a Stonesense shot once I can get the large screenshot working.

Strike the...erm... trees!
At last, she is done.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 05:55:23 am »

Don't forget that stone isn't necessary for mechanisms anymore. So long as a fort can get copper, iron, steel, or bronze from the caravans or have access to goblinite ore (or even koboldite though it'll take a lot of daggers to get anywhere), dwarves can make mechanisms by melting down objects to get the raw materials.

Forts usuing that method will have to put a lot more thought into planning out traps though since you can't just go out and mine some more rock to strengthen your defenses.

iEpinephrine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 07:03:12 am »

Oright, I'm in, no digging of any kind for me, and I'm also not going to use bridges/fortified walls or traps, just huts in the forest! 

Let's see how quickly my dorfs become dead by ambush squads...
Wish me luck!
"This button makes your dwarves less retarded"
Pages: 1 [2] 3