Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: That embark wagon.  (Read 2660 times)

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: That embark wagon.
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 11:40:54 am »

I do the monument thing. Once the wagon is deconstructed (after everything on it has been stowed safely in stockpiles, not necessarily underground) I build a 3x3 wall on the wagon's spot and build a statue depicting the foundation of the fort on top of that once I have a sufficiently blinged out masterpiece statue. Then I remove all access to the statue from below so dwarves never get happy thoughts from it, and also so building destroyers can't touch it.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 01:32:43 pm »

I deconstruct it ... when I remember to do it.

Usually I don't touch it at the beginning of the game because it would just scatter my stuff around and I don't like that :D Then once I started the fortress I usually forget it. Until i see it once again on my map and say "oh, right, deconstruct".

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 02:39:19 pm »

I deconstruct it right away, it gets deconstructed before the woodcutter manages to get to the first tree, and the logs are used to make the first workshops, maybe, if they are lucky(the logs), they turn into beds.

the great fool

• Bay Watcher
  • the Elf butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 03:56:35 pm »

I deconstruct it instantly (seriously, first thing i do) so i can build a three z-level post to mark the founding of the fort. 8)
An Elf in a cage is worth two in the forest

jdturner11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 06:06:50 pm »

I use it as a measuring tool. I know I have the correct stockpiles when everything from the wagon is removed and properly barreled/organized. It gets deconstructed and I never look at the spot twice again. If they want a monument, they have to shed blood and prove they're fitting.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 07:33:39 pm »

I keep it together, but I think I'll start building monuments from the wagon so I don't feel like my fort is *fully* complete.

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 08:07:36 pm »

I deconstruct it instantly (seriously, first thing i do) so i can build a three z-level post to mark the founding of the fort. 8)

How do  you get your dwarfs to build straight up? I have to use scaffolding most of the time...

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 09:42:13 pm »

I have a terrible case of restartitis so my forts tend not to last very long, but I stopped deconstructing the wagon at all and instead always plan to eventually construct a little tower or pyramid made of obsidian (and/or clear glass) around it and place statues of the seven founders inside as a kind of "shrine" to honor the beginnings of the fort.

Never gotten around to that yet, though.  ::)

I never destroy it because I leave it as a monument. Never thought of enshrining it though.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.
Pages: 1 [2]