Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Am I a Bad Father?  (Read 1940 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Am I a Bad Father?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 05:29:34 pm »

Make it a habit to always show him the Star Wars trilogy at least once a week, so that all the images and dialogues will be forever etched in his mind.
And continually remind him that Star Wars is only a trilogy spanning episodes 4-6, and that they have not made movies 1-3 yet.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 05:31:44 pm »

Make it a habit to always show him the Star Wars trilogy at least once a week, so that all the images and dialogues will be forever etched in his mind.
Then practice with him this conversation:
Nikov: "I am your father."
Nikov v2: "No, that's not true, that's impossible!"

[/helpful contribution]

This is the best advice that has ever been given by anyone, ever.

In seriousness, that the question occurred to you means you're at least a decent father. What the actual decision should be is highly dependent on what you and your wife think is best, but I don't think that this is something likely to make your kid insane or murderous, on its own, particularly if he's growing up in an environment where the sorts of behavior presented in the movie are explicitly not options, and not looked on as admirable (or, at the last, looked at as the lesser of evils in the case of killing antagonists). I think. All of that is 100% opinion, and I'm not a parent so you'll have to take it with a bucket of salt.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 05:48:23 pm »

As for "If your a bad father"

No

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 05:57:12 pm »

After recieving input from this thread I watched the rest of the movie with him. He's now in his bouncer pulling on rings dangling from plastic animals.

[/thread]
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 [2]