Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: I Hate The Fact "Geek" Is "Cool"  (Read 8142 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: I Hate The Fact "Geek" Is "Cool"
« Reply #90 on: December 01, 2010, 08:08:45 pm »

I thought the traditional one was "biting the heads off chickens".

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2010, 08:11:13 pm »

The word geek is a slang term, with different meanings ranging from "a computer expert or enthusiast" to "a carnival performer who performs sensationally morbid or disgusting acts", with a general pejorative meaning of "a peculiar or otherwise dislikable person, esp[ecially] one who is perceived to be overly intellectual".

Also heard it used as a synonym for "high on crack."

There's a kid on "The Walking Dead" who uses it as a synonym for zombies.  :P
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2010, 09:15:27 pm »

Why do people insist that realistic female characters need to be asexual outside of romantic comedies?  Give a female character the barest whiff of actually, y'know, being a normal person with sexual attractions and weird emotions as a result of those attractions and suddenly it's a male fantasy.  But portray some ruthless kill-bot who sees a man as about as useful as a set of back up AA batteries and you are empowering.  The purpose of art is to explore human relationships, not hide from them for fear of being called phony.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2010, 09:23:17 pm »

Spoiler: Venn-Diagram (click to show/hide)
That looks like a okay diagram. Not sure what it means by obsession though.
I think it's supposed to be similar to otaku or seriously dedicated to some hobby in a more die-hard fashion, like military-obsessed or Japan-obsessed, or something in those veins. Comic book collectors and WOW players are supposedly black holes of this in the media and internet respectively.

*I am (according to others) intelligent.
*Social (Is eptness a word? Ineptness without the 'in'!) Eptness is my dump stat.
*I am obsessed (just a bit) with running.

Am I a nerd? Running is a physical activity, and everyone knows that nerds can't be fit. What if I told you my other obsessions are Dungeons, Dragons, and Knowledge Bowl? What about the fact that I'm learning Japanese?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

AntiAntiMatter

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm back
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2010, 09:30:10 pm »

Spoiler: Venn-Diagram (click to show/hide)
That looks like a okay diagram. Not sure what it means by obsession though.
I think it's supposed to be similar to otaku or seriously dedicated to some hobby in a more die-hard fashion, like military-obsessed or Japan-obsessed, or something in those veins. Comic book collectors and WOW players are supposedly black holes of this in the media and internet respectively.

*I am (according to others) intelligent.
*Social (Is eptness a word? Ineptness without the 'in'!) Eptness is my dump stat.
*I am obsessed (just a bit) with running.

Am I a nerd? Running is a physical activity, and everyone knows that nerds can't be fit. What if I told you my other obsessions are Dungeons, Dragons, and Knowledge Bowl? What about the fact that I'm learning Japanese?

Yes you are. Nerds can be fit. Just because you are not completely stereotypical doesn't mean you aren't one.

As to the diagram, I am intelligent, painfully shy, and obsessed with a number of things. So I am a nerd, which I already knew. YAAAAY!!!
[/post]

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2010, 09:32:00 pm »

One of my coworkers is a bicycling nerd.  The only nerdlike qualities I know he has are A) total, total biking fan, B) wears a Lost shirt, C) works at the same tech company as me.  Still counts I think.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2010, 10:05:22 pm »

I wonder if I'm a neeeeeeeeerd.  Nah.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2010, 10:56:35 pm »

My ineptitude socially is getting better to the point of being closer to the border of Nerd and Geek. Nowadays, it's not as much that I'm bad with social contact than I'm not much for talking to people. They get annoying.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2010, 11:11:08 pm »

My ineptitude socially is getting better to the point of being closer to the border of Nerd and Geek. Nowadays, it's not as much that I'm bad with social contact than I'm not much for talking to people. They get annoying.
Oh!  That's the missing bubble from the Venn diagram:  Misanthropic.  You're approaching "Elitist Prick", land of Steve Jobs.

(meant with all good humor, I don't consider you such)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2010, 11:13:43 pm »

Oh!  That's the missing bubble from the Venn diagram:  Misanthropic.  You're approaching "Elitist Prick", land of Steve Jobs.

Elitism would have to be an additional dimension to the diagram.

MrGimp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WMP Web Design
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2010, 11:19:39 pm »

Elitism would have to be an additional dimension to the diagram.

You mean leetism......or rather 133715/\/\

1/\/\ @|\| @|2|206@|\|7 1337157 /\/\'/5@|\|7#|20|>1( /\/\|506'/|\|1571( |>|21(|< .......  |3/_/7 0|\||_'/ 0|\| 7#3 ||\|73|2\/\/3|35.  07#3|2\/\/|53 1/\/\ @ |\||(3 6/_/'/.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 11:58:45 pm by MrGimp »
Thus ends the official written history of the fortress known as Boatmurdered. May their tortured souls rest in peace.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2010, 11:20:39 pm »

I'm a science fanboy o3o

I'm very social! I'm a paragon of sociality!

...Online. Which people insist doesn't count. >->

AND I'm pretty intellimagent. By gum.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2010, 11:39:59 pm »

I use to have more care for math and science but I don't really care anymore.  Pretty much just animooo and mangooooo now.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2010, 11:53:32 pm »

The Doctor is my kind of geek. An almost self-mocking love of competence, takes very little seriously (including himself) when it isn't really hurting anyone, with a strong sense that humans are awesome when you take a step to the side and really look at what they are and can be. Of course most of the time they never really go into why, leaving you to decide or not, but to me he's still a very positive role-model for young nerdlings.

I agree to an extent with the OP, but only in the sense that "cool" in itself is ridiculous and detrimental to the sanity of its pursuers. I rather like the fact that I can be admired now for being a programmer - anyone nostalgic for the days of having a secret club they can be ridiculed for is more than welcome to become a furry hurf durf.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2010, 11:58:41 pm »

The Doctor is my kind of geek. An almost self-mocking love of competence, takes very little seriously (including himself) when it isn't really hurting anyone, with a strong sense that humans are awesome when you take a step to the side and really look at what they are and can be. Of course most of the time they never really go into why, leaving you to decide or not, but to me he's still a very positive role-model for young nerdlings.
You know, I thought you were talking about me, until I realized that my name isn't The Doctor on this site.

I had a reply typed out and everything.

I should go change my name.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11