Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Running on Ubuntu  (Read 2442 times)

BenRK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Running on Ubuntu
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 06:56:51 pm »

But anyway, yeah, like I said that's just the way it is. At least your not paying for it (or stealing it).

I guess I should have expected a sub standard product for something that has no money put into it. ;)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 06:59:18 pm »

It seems like you're just bitching about a product that works for which there was an easy workaround in the 2nd post and was included the readme which you didn't read and googlable but yet you still insisted on asking and complaining on the forums.

;)

BenRK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 07:02:58 pm »

I'm complaining about Linux it self, not DF. As somewhat of an idie game developer my self, I understand how much work goes into DF, and it shows. You would think the same would be true of Linux, but it so far just feels like an incomplete system that you get and need to fill in the holes with various forms of putty, but only specific kinds of putty and only when it likes you.

I've tried looking in the instructions, I tried following what instructions were given to me, I tried following instructions I found via Google, but it never works.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 07:23:36 pm »

Yeah, I know you're not complaining about DF itself, we all know it's a feat of programming to get it to work in windows in the first place. That's why I suggested wine.

You see, I'm a monk, and I just booted up DF on this 1.1ghz computer from the 90s to show you that it works when you follow those instructions in ubuntu on the crappiest hardware imaginable. Applications >Ubuntu Software Center> download wine > cd to your DF directory and then wine command in terminal.

GTM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 07:33:54 pm »

Linux is like DF - if you want it to work, you have to be willing to put in the effort to make it work.  It's like driving a manual transmission.  You're either interested in it, or you're better off just driving an automatic.

The asshole in me wants to tell the OP to google the phrase 'how to install (insert dependency here) in ubuntu' and 9 times out of 10 the answer will be in the first result.  The nice guy in me hopes one of you are patient enough to give him a step by step since he's probably a decent guy and just feeling impatient.  Hell, maybe this will become the new first result in google for future searches.

EDIT: and I apparently didn't read two posts back
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 07:35:34 pm by GTM »

BenRK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 07:52:59 pm »

I'm going to go ahead and try the WINE bit, but I have a feeling it's going to run significantly slower then running it natively, and it already ran slow to begin with.

@GTM

I don't know why, but I've NEVER had any luck with Ubuntu or any other Linux distro for that matter. Every time I have an issue with it, I ask, but 99 times out of 100, the instructions people give, googled or not, don't work. I've followed them word for word, even copied and pasted the instructions (making appropriate changes, I know the user folder isn't called ~USER~), but they never work.

I don't only have my netbook. I also have my PC, and it has more issues then my netbook with Ubuntu, even though it has vastly superior hardware. Example, the wireless adapter I have on my computer isn't supported with Ubuntu even though it's 3 years old now and the N standard is in full swing. So I have to use ndiswrapper to get the driver working, but to get ndiswrapper, I either have to download it (and without an internet connection, that's impossible), or download it to a flashdrive from another computer (usually Windows). And when I do that, I follow the instructions, but (and you can chant along with this one) they never work. I think I managed to get ndiswrapper working once from the instructions, but I don't remember how.

I've been trying to get into Ubuntu for years now. I mean, it's rather appealing. Free, does just about everything I normally do on Windows, free, and so on. But so far it's only proved to be more frustrating then enjoyable. It's as if I have the one particular hardware setup that just doesn't work (and yet Windows 7 worked out of the box for me, only had to install my wireless adapter drivers).

GTM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 08:05:46 pm »

So I'm willing to concede wireless adapters... I still can't get mine to work in Ubuntu either.  Also can't get my graphics tablet to work.  Most of the search results talk about editing xorg.conf which doesn't seem to exist anymore.  But I chalk it up to my own noobness. It's like stalling at every red light while you figure out how to shift.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 03:25:32 am »

Yeah xorg.conf doesn't exist any more, and even better there's talk of dropping X altogether, which will right mess up those instructions...
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2010, 11:03:48 am »

Running the game under Wine under Linux => Strange mood indeed

FYI emulation always costs in terms of performance (read costs A LOT), that's why there are multiple versions, so that everyone can run NATIVE BINARIES.

I don't really believe the source code differs much (who would develop different versions in parallel?) You just link it with different libraries, call different OS-specific functions, and that's it.

So just run the native version, and you will be fine.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 05:40:21 pm »

Ok, but why should I have to install this stuff when it should either be included in the df download it self, or heck, included in the OS?
Debian/Ubuntu decided to be "special" and often name their libraries differently than the rest of the known universe.  I dislike Ubuntu quite a bit, but I like Linux quite a lot.

The other thing is, you "installed" this program by hand.  Most things you install in Ubuntu would come in Ubuntu packages which would know which things the need.  When you install by hand you are responsible for reading the readme's.  The same is true in Windows, if you just unzipped a program and ran it it might not be able to tell you you're missing .net 2.0 or some such junk.

And lastly:  You're not familiar with it, at all.  We had to tell you to run it from console, which is the Linux equivalent of having to be told to click "OK".  Linux is not FreeWindows, though Ubuntu tries real hard to pretend;  it's genuinely different, there's things you need to learn to do to use it well.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 05:47:19 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

DrazharLn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 11:36:29 pm »

FYI emulation always costs in terms of performance (read costs A LOT), that's why there are multiple versions, so that everyone can run NATIVE BINARIES.

Very true, however, WINE Is Not an Emulator (WINE).

Learning how to use Linux can be a little difficult, but it's not too bad. My suggestion would be to go to your GUI package manager and search for the dependencies there. One of my old ubuntu installations worked fine with df after I found the dependencies in the package manager. This avoids using the command line and protects you from making too many mistakes.

If you really are a programmer, you may want to take the time to learn linux properly (start with learning how to use bash). When I use linux, I never use a file browser and only rarely use GUI system tools; terminal all the way. You can do almost anything you want to do from the command line.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2010, 09:59:16 am »

I don't know why, but I've NEVER had any luck with Ubuntu or any other Linux distro for that matter. Every time I have an issue with it, I ask, but 99 times out of 100, the instructions people give, googled or not, don't work. I've followed them word for word, even copied and pasted the instructions (making appropriate changes, I know the user folder isn't called ~USER~), but they never work.
Yeah, that's my biggest problem with actually using Ubuntu productively as well.  Ubuntu gave me a sweet, problem-free install, has a lovely interface, has been (or at least seemed) faster and less given to "chugging" than WinXP, and was much more cooperative with my network card.  It was rapidly earning my respect.

The problems begin when I attempted to install my first non-trivial piece of software.  Followed the Linux instructions for the software.  Followed the guidance on the Ubuntu forums kindly provided to the many other people also having problems installing, registering, and using the software.  No luck.  As I descended into a nightmare of scripts, commands, and workarounds for particular issues, I pulled myself up and said:

"I'm spending time and getting nowhere.  This OS wants me to make it my hobby, and won't work until I do."

So I fired up Windows.  In 30 minutes, the (win version of the) software was up and running.  As per usual.
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

drseptapus

• Bay Watcher
  • The peasant strangles the cat's throat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2010, 07:31:36 pm »

I found it's easiest to use the windows version, Wine and Ubuntu runs it on default without any needed tweaks. You can even make it run faster by playing with init settings.

1. Download DF for windows, sdl.
2. Go to Ubuntu's download center, search and download "Wine".
3. Then use the terminal and cd to the directory of DF. For me it's "cd ~/Downloads/DFNew"
4. Terminal type "wine Dwarffortress.exe" or whatever it is called. I changed mine to dwarfort.exe.

This will open a DF window from the terminal through wine. Don't shut the terminal or it'll close the DF screen.

Are you completely insane?

Meanwhile, I'll be over here, double clicking on the "df" script and hitting the Run button on the dialog that pops up.  You just need to install libsdl-image1.2 and you're good to go.

loled so hard

Ok i actually read the thread and This is a ridiculously simple problem that is easily fixed.

Ben, Ubuntu is alot easier than you think. There are a couple major things that you need to grasp in order for your experience to be better. The issue here as far as I can tell, is that you don't know what the Synaptic Package Manager is. Go to your task bar, go to System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager. This will automatically search for packages in the Ubuntu repositories. Type in libSDL and whatever the rest of that packages was and you will find it. After you do that mark it for installation, and hit apply. It will install and DF should run fine.

Ubuntu is a great operating system although not perfect, no OS is. You just need to put in a little effort and I think you will be very pleased with what it can do. But if you are not willing to do that, it isn't for you. Not trying to be an asshole, but if you think just downloading something and clicking "go" will work every time, it won't.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 07:44:50 pm by drseptapus »
I'm sure by the time toady gets too old to program, DF will have reached a stage where as it is sentient enough to program itself.
It won't program itself, it'll be too busy taking breaks and attending parties to code.

tps12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 10:23:53 am »

I recently moved my netbook over to Ubuntu after growing frustrated with the speed of Windows on it.
First mistake. Linux is not going to magically make a slow computer run faster.
Pages: 1 [2]