Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Running on Ubuntu  (Read 2446 times)

BenRK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Running on Ubuntu
« on: December 01, 2010, 04:20:53 pm »

I recently moved my netbook over to Ubuntu after growing frustrated with the speed of Windows on it. I figured that all I did on my netbook was surf the internet, chat, and play Dwarf Fortress, that I could comfortably switch over to Linux.

However, one of the things that constantly annoys me about Linux is that there is no apparent standard to getting things running.

So, I ask, how the heck am I supposed to get DF up and running on Ubuntu! Nothing I do seems to do anything.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Running on Ubuntu
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 04:26:10 pm »

I found it's easiest to use the windows version, Wine and Ubuntu runs it on default without any needed tweaks. You can even make it run faster by playing with init settings.

1. Download DF for windows, sdl.
2. Go to Ubuntu's download center, search and download "Wine".
3. Then use the terminal and cd to the directory of DF. For me it's "cd ~/Downloads/DFNew"
4. Terminal type "wine Dwarffortress.exe" or whatever it is called. I changed mine to dwarfort.exe.

This will open a DF window from the terminal through wine. Don't shut the terminal or it'll close the DF screen.

Jamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 04:34:44 pm »

Standard to get things running is package manager, but I am not sure whether ubuntu has newest df in its repositories. To run it, download the linux executable from front page, navigate to unpacked directory with your terminal and run df (./df). I guess it will throw some problems about missing libs, but you will get some pointers form it, what to install.

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 04:49:26 pm »

I found it's easiest to use the windows version, Wine and Ubuntu runs it on default without any needed tweaks. You can even make it run faster by playing with init settings.

3. Then use the terminal and cd to the directory of DF. For me it's "cd ~/Downloads/DFNew"
4. Terminal type "wine Dwarffortress.exe" or whatever it is called. I changed mine to dwarfort.exe.

This will open a DF window from the terminal through wine. Don't shut the terminal or it'll close the DF screen.

Are you completely insane?

Meanwhile, I'll be over here, double clicking on the "df" script and hitting the Run button on the dialog that pops up.  You just need to install libsdl-image1.2 and you're good to go.

BenRK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 05:01:07 pm »

Alright, where do I install that?

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 05:04:27 pm »

Are you completely insane?
I say this because the windows version of DF has been developed a bit more throughly than the linux version in terms of "What Toady actually knows how to deal with" as I've found from reading Baughn's commentary. :P

It runs perfectly, if anything, even better than it would in a windows single-core machine with less resource hogging.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 05:09:16 pm »

Alright, where do I install that?

I'm a Debian user so I would open terminal and type 'sudo apt-get install libsdl-image1.2'

Pretty sure that will work on Ubuntu also.

BenRK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 05:16:50 pm »

Aaaand... still nothing.

"Huzzah for the mighty standard that is Linux distros!" he lied.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 05:25:35 pm »

Did you try what I posted?

I'm just saying, with basic knowledge of linux terminal, it's idiot-proof :P

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 05:27:03 pm »

When you run it from a mouseclick, all the error messages go into hyperspace.  Run it from a terminal and it'll probably tell you what's going wrong.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

BenRK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 06:05:37 pm »

Code: [Select]
./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 06:07:18 pm »

./libs/Dwarf_Fortress: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
The DF linux version has a readme that specifically calls for installing three different dependencies. Read it and follow it or follow my previous instructions for getting DF for windows running in wine.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 06:22:02 pm »

hehehe gotta a bit more self-sufficient in the Linux world, man. That's just the way it is!

Same command I posted above with 'libSDL_ttf-2.0-0' would work to knock out that error I suppose.

This page ought to help you track down more SDL packages you may need: http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=sdl&searchon=names&suite=stable&section=all

I'd give you actual instructions if any of my linux boxes had a gui and could run DF.

BenRK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 06:34:37 pm »

The DF linux version has a readme that specifically calls for installing three different dependencies. Read it and follow it or follow my previous instructions for getting DF for windows running in wine.

It tells me what to get, not how to get them.

hehehe gotta a bit more self-sufficient in the Linux world, man. That's just the way it is!

Ok, but why should I have to install this stuff when it should either be included in the df download it self, or heck, included in the OS? It really annoys me that there is no standard with this Linux crap and everyone does their own thing, requiring me to download tons of stuff that all does the same thing!!!

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 06:42:36 pm »

Ok, but why should I have to install this stuff when it should either be included in the df download it self, or heck, included in the OS? It really annoys me that there is no standard with this Linux crap and everyone does their own thing, requiring me to download tons of stuff that all does the same thing!!!

That's the curse and beauty of an open source OS I guess. Everyone is free to do it their way, and they do. What I do is pick one distro (debian) that I learn the quirks of and hold on to it tight! Actually most of the linux I work with is 'embedded' so I generally know tools and not too much about the OS.

But anyway, yeah, like I said that's just the way it is. At least your not paying for it (or stealing it).
Pages: [1] 2