Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: The Last Fortress: Community/Succession RPG Game  (Read 12181 times)

DwarfyDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Of course it's not safe! What are you, an ELF?!
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fortress: Community/Succession RPG Game
« Reply #75 on: December 16, 2010, 05:50:10 pm »

MMMk
Small elves in your beard. The STD of the Dwarven world.

DwarfyDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Of course it's not safe! What are you, an ELF?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 17, 2010, 03:08:34 pm »

Sorry, guys, but I'm not going to be able to do this. It's not from lack of enthusiasm, but from the fact that my fortresses have never gone past 1 year(because of the fact that I get distracted, And when I return I forgot what I was doing and where everything is.)

Also, the fort was all sprawled over the place. I'm not sure if I have OCD(never been tested by a doctor) but I think I do, because of my severe need for symmetry( I'll freak out because All of my plans are awesome, and then the peice in the middle is off 1 square, making me replan everything.)
All of the buildings were put in some sort of pattern I couldn't see.

Again, not lack of enthusiasm, but lack of experience(and possible OCD)
Sorry  :(
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 03:11:02 pm by DwarfyDwarf »
Small elves in your beard. The STD of the Dwarven world.

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #77 on: December 17, 2010, 03:31:46 pm »

Seriously?

We just had three people in a row skip on us. =_=

/thread.
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2010, 09:06:39 pm »

Will get down on this in 20 hours, doubt about neat story but hey it move at least.

Edit:
Okay, here we have: a half of the map walled out (nice), a single entrance filled with iron weapon traps and hatches in the end (are you sure they'll work in time?), forges at the very edge of volcano (why there are traps?), and two rotting goblin corpses walled in (seriously wtf?).

Edit2:
Oh, did I mention that this fort is in best condition I've ever took over?

Edit3:
I couldn't find this in your posts, will it freeze at winter?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 11:45:58 am by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2010, 01:01:51 pm »

Houston we have a problem here, the male/female ratio is 4/1 here and there wasn't anyone who would be brave enough to join us in our struggle for the glory of dwarfdom.  :(
I'm in the end of spring right now and there's not much to tell about, we have only 12 dwarves so no big projects, I guess after elves enter I'll close the bridge and add some more traps to the grinder. Then send them forming families and maybe 14 years later someone will get some work force. On the other hand, while not so big and glorious as Ardentdikes it's neat and comforting. Mostly I'm chilling out here, admire statues made by Dwarfy Dwarf (he had made another one with Zumdol now he's embracing a donkey, and one of Demetra laboring) and read engravings by Kipi he's more interested in history (there's many goblins battling dwarves engravings, his second most popular theme is killing of elves, mostly by colossus and goblins but there's one with tentacle demon)

Edit:
Just got a party at the jaguar rope, kobolds also decided to join party they had to leave soon though, hope grinder plates will work better when goblins show up.

Edit2:
Well the plates worked with goblins indeed. Greenskined showed up, one group started fighting with each other and slaughtered elves later on, the other tested the grinder. We need better mechanisms for traps but apart from that it works perfectly.

Edit3:
Well now Kipi has also shown interest in fortress life events there's picture on which Zumdol embraces TWO donkeys  :D

Edit4:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Maybe I'll prepare cave-in trap for it. Or I shouldn't draw dwarves from our repopulation program?

Edit5:
We've bought everything of use from humans for one bin of Zrk's crafts, we still have two left. On the other news, one pair of lovers got married and the other was formed the PerreGarrites and Hydrallites are two possible dynasties in the future fort, the place in Demetra's heart is still free.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 04:19:53 pm by Di »
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #80 on: December 18, 2010, 04:13:41 pm »

OH CRAP A FORGOTTEN BEAST.

Uhh... Huh. How are we gonna deal with this? For now, SHUT THE DOORS OH GOD.
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 18, 2010, 05:02:03 pm »

Well, forgotten beast issue was solved though victory wasn't given to us for free.
Also Hydral has married so there will definitely be his dynasty.
And we've bought two cats from humans male adopted Etur Udilrab (Hydral wife) and is now solving complains about terrible vermin, the female one hasn't been unpacked yet, I guess we'll keep it as spare one in case first cat encounters goblins.

Edit 2:
Aaand the last couple of lone hearts has found each other. Demetra decided to have an to hold from this day forward, for better for worse with Zumdol the donkey lover, amen.
The remaining six will get their chance thirteen years later.  :D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 05:23:50 pm by Di »

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #82 on: December 18, 2010, 05:24:21 pm »

I got married? Huh, hope she's hot.

So did you drop a cave on it? Well, I assume you did... Give us the juicy details!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2010, 06:32:27 pm »

Well, it took quite a while before beast actually realized it can enter, then he stood at the entrance of corridor, I thought it was breaking bridge but it turned out it was destroying door a tile away. Then it proceeded crushing doors with the force of mind and stood at the middle of tunnel. Then... You know, when you play adventurer sometimes you press sleep and then suddenly you see huge wall of text and "you're deceased" at the bottom. Well the beast could have felt similar, one moment it was calmly destroying doors and next it wasn't.
I've used three levels above that one to create cave-in, so I suggest using obsidianization chamber next time. I'll see what I can do about it tomorrow.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2010, 08:54:52 am »

We need better mechanisms for traps but apart from that it works perfectly.

What for? better mechansms mean faster  merciful death, is it that you want to give them?! it's more fun when they slowly lose their limbs and keep crawling to exit  8)

I've used three levels above that one to create cave-in, so I suggest using obsidianization chamber next time. I'll see what I can do about it tomorrow.

do we have aquifer for water source?
and doesn't constructed wall work as well as natural one?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2010, 11:09:44 am »

Just remembered why I put traps near the volcano- In case a Fire Imp or something attacks.

They can swim up through lava, right? Or at least spawn in it.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 19, 2010, 02:25:06 pm »

Hey, why not capture it?  8) We can use lock him and let him send his hot greetings to guests
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 19, 2010, 03:19:52 pm »

Well in the autumn small goblinite vein has struck us. Nothing important, they've merrily carnaged each other and left home.
Somewhere in the beginning of Opal we've completed obsidianisation chamber it's now party time.
Our parties have become popular around:
He had almost entered chamber but suddenly changed his mind and disappeared in caves.
The chamber remains unblocked from caverns but there's announcement generator in case this crocodile come back.

Fake Edit:
He IS back on 9th obsidian, really shy monster. Dammit, pressure plate didn't work, either because FBs are trapavoid or because I've overestimated their min weight Now when I come to think about it, it was very stupid of me to increase min weight to cave crawler. There isn't anything in caverns we wouldn't like to know if it attempted to sneak into the fortress. But I was on guard and at least this one wont go unnoticed.
Later.
Dammit this construction a failure not tremendously big but still.
But some magic first:

Now about failure. The created obsidian destroyed retracting bridges and there's still magma in tank preventing us from simple reconstruction of them. You'd need to destroy that by dumping water on it or pulling cave-in there first. Well at least that entrance was sealed as well. And don't you dare to open those doors There's only magma above them!!! Complete fail.
So now there are two broken deathtraps, obviously I don't have time to fix either.

Dammit those kobolds aren't healthy for our big cats two encounters left both of them badly injured. There's plenty of junk outside why are these bastards keeping pushing in?! Also wiki says unspotted creatures don't trigger plates so when ambushes stop self destructing we'll be screwed. Or sooner since kobolds aren't prone to inside conflicts. We should get something at the entrance to the grinder to spot them (something like animal beside window at the each side)

For now I've created new uniform that is similar to metal but without indiv choice melee so it won't screw with the job tools. Now all dwarves are assigned armor. I've also assigned specific weapon to each who hadn't any (miner got his pick) so now if they encounter kobold thief and he pulls out dagger half of his size they'll pull out a weapon of his full size. The next overseer might consider giving them some training as well.

We have a surplus of food and booze now. I didn't brew any only bought from humans and it's still at the same amount. We have run out of place for food so I'm sending Demetra to kitchen.

Zumdol now has two pet donkeys.

Well, that's it. My rule is over, if you ask me what the most favourable thing I've made for fortress I'll say: additional trap in grinder.
Save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3578
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:49:10 am by Di »

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #88 on: December 19, 2010, 05:00:29 pm »

So next is RNG and then me.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2010, 03:00:51 am »

Hmm... I'll try to play some tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get through the whole year. I might have to upload the save halfway through if that's okay with you guys.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8