Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: The Last Fortress: Community/Succession RPG Game  (Read 12189 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Fortress: Community/Succession RPG Game
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 01:58:17 am »

"Urists or Cats?"
"Cats!"
*Coin Flips*
"Sorry Demetra, that's an Urist. I guess we're heading for the volcano."

The group spent the next several hours packing up their meager belongings before starting on their journey. It was mostly uneventful, but the group was ever-alert, as they were passing through the territory of the hated goblins which had destroyed their civilization 60 years prior. After several days of travel, we finally encountered our destination.

1st of Granite:
"Woah there, Dwarfy Dwarf. Slow the wagon down, you're going too fast!"
"Fast? Ha! Why when I was a child, I took wagons at three times this speed! Here, I'll show you!"
"NO! WAIT, YOU'LL DRIVE RIGHT INT-"
*CRASH*

So... due to that little incident, we had our wagon teetering on the edge of the volcano. Thankfully we were able to retrieve our supplies from it before it caught on fire and burned to a crisp. I guess we aren't going anywhere anytime soon, so it doesn't matter that much.

I decided that it would be best if we moved a little further away from the volcano to set up our lodgings. There was a nice, flat area just a little to the northwest. Well, flatter. This whole area is basically a giant spike of obsidian. I suppose that means we don't have to worry about breaking through the aquifer, as nature has already done that for us.

1st of Malachite:
We spent the last couple months digging a simple living area out of the stone. We now have a barracks to sleep in, a dining hall to eat in, an armory to store weapons and armor as well as several stockpiles for other stuff. Things seem to be coming along at a decent pace, and the nearby goblins don't seem to have noticed us yet. Actually, nobody seems to have noticed us. There is nothing here except for us. No animals, even.

8th of Malachite:
Finally, another face, and it just so happens to be a friendly one! It seems that at least among our brethren, tales of our venture has spread. Today, a small and weary band of traveling dwarves showed up an requested to join our fort. Their skills seem somewhat odd, as they are a potash maker, a lye maker and a soap maker, but I suppose they can still be useful.

3rd of Galena:
I noticed today that we had a disturbing shortage of both bins an barrels, and had some made. We also started a potash industry. I'm not sure how useful it will be, but we needed to have those migrants do something, and there was a ton of extra logs lying around. Maybe we can make clear glass, or something.

We also set up our first farms, a ways south of the fortress using a nearby muddy pond for flood irrigation. Since we're in a saltwater swamp, we better make sure we have enough booze for everybody. Actually, fertilizing those farms might be a decent use for all that potash we're making...

20th of Limestone:
Another migrant wave. This time we got a weaponsmith, which I am very happy about. Perhaps he can make me a new axe; this copper one is starting to dull after the couple hundred trees I cut down. We also got a bowyer and a thresher. I'll probably draft the thresher into the army with me.

17th of Timber:

It seems we have started to attract unfriendly attention. Today we found a kobold lurking around the edges of our camp, likely looking for something to steal. We chased him off, but we should be more alert in the future.

The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2010, 02:44:10 am »

25th of Moonstone:
Things have been pretty dull lately, so we started smoothing and engraving a few parts of the fortress in order to liven things up. We also built a smelter and forge that are powered off the volcano nearby, and I am the proud new owner of a very nice iron axe. I bet this thing will nicely cleave some goblin skulls in two if they ever decide to pay us a visit, heh heh heh....

17th of Obsidian:
Ran out of metal ores, so I designated a lot of exposed veins to be mined out. Not much else of interest to report.

30th of Obsidian:
My last day as commander of this fortress, at least for a while. Things are funning fairly smoothly, and though out defenses aren't quite as strong as I would like, they should be sufficient for now. Tomorrow, I turn the fort over to Demetra.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2010, 06:59:45 am »

Oh cra~ that was fast
Could you place me at least seventh in queue?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2010, 11:35:47 am »

Alright then, Hydrall is up I guess.

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2010, 05:02:19 pm »

Holy carp, that was fast.  :o
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2010, 05:52:34 pm »

Holy carp, that was fast.  :o

Yeah, I've been wanting to play for a while so I finished the whole first year in one sitting  :-\

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 05:54:28 pm »

I'm gonna have to take a while longer- Is there a limit to how long we can have the save? (If you already put one... sorry!)
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 06:14:15 pm »

Sorry to doublepost- One thing I have to say. NOTES! Put notes on levels telling what they do, to show where things are, etc.

I'm gonna put some on the farms and such, but I'm still a bit confused...

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 06:37:00 pm »

I'm gonna have to take a while longer- Is there a limit to how long we can have the save? (If you already put one... sorry!)
No longer than a week, I would think, but other than that take as long as you need.

Sorry to doublepost- One thing I have to say. NOTES! Put notes on levels telling what they do, to show where things are, etc.

I'm gonna put some on the farms and such, but I'm still a bit confused...

Notes? Hmm... I don't think I've used those before. What should I label? Thinks like stockpiles and workshops seem self-explanatory.

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 06:38:57 pm »

It helps people figure out the workings of the place before they start getting too entrenched. I'm on it, though.

Also, a week? Oh, yeah, that's plenty of time. I think I'll put together a backstory thing for my Dorf, too.  :P

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2010, 07:11:54 pm »

RECORDS OF HYDRALL, THE SNIPER: UNKNOWN DATE

A forest, dark and foreboding, filled with all manner of beast and bird, including some short stumpy gits.

“Oi, skinny! Get away from there!”

I crawled backwards, narrowly avoiding being spat on by a huge, heavily armored dwarf. Compared to him, I was a scrap of dried beef, and being cold is far better than being punched. So he took my spot by the fire, yelling angrily for one of the others in the camp to bring him food and booze. I don't remember who he is, but at the time I wanted to shoot him... But I doubted my terrible little copper crossbow could do anything.

That was life there, in with the wandering dwarves. We watched the horizons at all times, and we watched the ground beneath our feet for traps. They've used them occasionally- Goblins, that is. I saw one of my friends strung up by some kind of razor wire noose one. He survived only because his cloak deflected it or... something. I'm not sure.

So, obviously, spirits are pretty low.

I was one of several hunters here, and not nearly the best. Too skinny, flimsy, you know how it is... So imagine my surprise when I was approached by Zumdol.

I don't remember much about the conversation- It was all a bit of a blur. But the end result was me being signed on as a hunter to an expedition...

To found a new fortress?! Wha- WHA-

Calm down. Maybe it won't be so bad...

At least I have this journal to write everything in. It's comforting, somehow.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 10:33:42 pm »

Also, a week? Oh, yeah, that's plenty of time.

You can finish and upload it sooner, of course. I just don't want to rush anyone.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 11:08:49 pm »

hi!
can i join as the first migrant, what ever it may be?
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

mcguinty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 05:57:24 am »

Sign me up for the next available slot. A metalworker or the soap maker would be preferable.

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2010, 03:16:16 pm »

I... Oh god, I don't even know. This Fortress is in serious need of help. We will die from the first ambush at this rate...

Why are the workshops scattered outside? Why are the mines so far from the main structure? (Well, no, I get that much. But they'll need protection...)

WHY IS THERE NO BOOZE?

Man, Hydrall the Dorf has the description of 'extremely nervous under pressure'. He's gonna implode...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8