Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: The Last Fortress: Community/Succession RPG Game  (Read 12175 times)

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
  • Target Verified: Commencing Hostilities
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
Re: The Last Fortress: Community/Succession RPG Game
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2010, 10:08:08 pm »

Here is the save.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3522

Good luck.

Sorry for the triplepost!  :(
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

Uristmcfisherdwarf cancels fish: Interrupted by harmless minnow

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2010, 01:20:54 am »

Cool
I'll take it tomorrow, ok?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2010, 12:57:22 pm »

Wow, I didn't expect the goblins to come so quick. Normally I don't see them until my 4th year. Maybe it has something to do with founding a fort in the middle of their territory?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2010, 01:28:12 pm »

Possibly. We haven't had any migrants for a while, no artifacts, nothing, but they sent two or three ambushes at the end of the year. Maybe they don't like my reservoir.
After seven days and seven nights, God said "Screw this!" and abandoned the fortress.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2010, 03:48:14 am »

Hell, it downloads SOOOOOOO slowly!  >:( Don't know why

Edit: Oh, finally. On 3-rd attempt it downloaded without any corruptions. Seemed like some ocean titan were chewins wires deep at Atlantic Ocean... Well, here we go!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 04:14:17 am by peregarrett »
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 06, 2010, 05:56:05 am »

PereGarrett's journal

1st Granite, 253
Except for being first day of 253'd year, it was just another dull day. After having a snack at our nice dining hall I decided to take a short walk. Well, it's nice outdoors! A few yards away there were standing out brave military. I mean, our Marshall Zumdol Idur Tumwist (hell, guys were begging to make thin copper plate with those letter engraved and stick it at Marshall's office, so anyone could avoid misspeling that stuff while meeting him) and our Sniper Hydrall. And two their apprentices.
- Hey PereGarrett! - shouted Hydrall - Happy new Year! I've got nice present for you!
- Huh... no kidding? - I replied and quickly looked around for some natural shelter - just in case he means his new masterwork bolt. Sometimes he scares me with his bloody sence of humor...
- Yeah! See this fortress? It's yours for next year! Take care!
- WHA...???!!!???
Just to explain. When we settled here, we decided to form some kind of... well... gray government... It means one of us is completely responsible for everything is going here, for year. And then he should pass his duties to another guy, for another year. And so on.
But I never thought it could be ME! Oh hell, what should i do now... ??..??
Stunned with this news, I walked somewhere... up to the wall, as I see now. Ok, nice place to look around and decide what to do.
Ok. What we have.
A Volcano at the center of our fortress. As i recall my studies at middle school, there are some nasty creatures that live at the bottom of volcano... but maybe it's just fairytales for children.
Magma smelters and forges at volcano edge. As for me, we just expose or metal-making secrets to every sneaky kobold of elf! We don't hat them to come back with steel swords, don't we?!
Obsidian water tank, half-constructed. I doubt do we need it it all? We could just build a few wells and that'd be enough for anyone who want to wash himself. What? DRINK it? You're kidding?! Only prisoners and sick ones drink it! I guess it motivates citizens to behave right and don't spend time at hospital, and it works well. Drinking water...* shudder* Well, let's go on.
Small square construction wit ramp at one side and door at another. It's our Automated Security Chamber, where we scan any suspicious-looking guest with our modern masterwork detectors. i.e. serrated iron discs and spiked iron balls. Now it works well with wandering snailmen. But what would we do if there comes a few goblin ambushes? We need to expand it.
Ant here is the Green Entrance - for friendly guests. Passage 2 yards wide, with some security mechanisms -Serrated Disc Detection System, two Fixation Systems loaded with wooden cages, two stone Bad Thought Removers and one Ass Hole Detector - specially trained donkey tied by the rope. Somewhat simple, but should be working. Oh, and a gate that can lock this passage completely.
All this stuff is surrounded by wall. It's still unfinished, but it's supposed to block any other way into our home. Walls and impassable steeps, that were made by out miners.
Ok, let's make this place The True Fortress Of Last Dwarfs In The World!
Hey! Who put there that wall?! I can't get back! Get me in, idiots!

OOC: - Did I miss something important?

6th Slate, 253
Last pieces of wall were constructed. I guess we're safe now. But.. why not to test it?
11th Slate
Guess what?

Our donkeys CAN climp up trees! Donkey foal just jumped from hill slope to tree and then on the top of wall. Hell, if donkey can, gobbos will made it for sure! We got to do something with that

22nd Slate
The fortress attracted no migrants this season. I doubt if any of our brethren survived since our nation was destroyed... Okay, no time for whining! Out to work!

17th Felsite, 253
Elves.

Magnificient Bastard sold them a bunch of his dull stone things. Elves were ecstatic about how ethnical they are... Armok Burning Arse, they treat us like those cave olm men, with their bone spears, stone mugs and so! We got to produce some jewelry, so those tree-dwellers can go and eat their cloth, striken by paroxysm of greed!
I ordered to build jeweler workshop.

23rd Felsite
An ambush! Curse them!
They struck down a cat. Also there is Sodel, our weaponsmith came out for hematite - what the Armok Duck?!? Hydrall said he forbade all ore outside!
I managed to give him a secret sign - so he's a guerilla warrior for now. He should hide somewhere till we dealt with them...

Oh hell.. they took out Sodel...

Their squad leader tried to sneak through Automated Detector... sadly he survived by jumping back. We need to uprgade it!

Goblins then flew, accompanied by flying bronze bolts. No result though.

1st Hematite, 253
Summer. I put Sodel's coffin to fully engraved room. That'll be his resting place, his and others unlucky fellows.
We will avenge!
We have bowyer, and I ordered Etur Udilrab to be our metalworker. She has no experience in it, but who else? We need more traps.

18th Malachite, 253
Still no migrants.

11th Galena, 253
Human traders came. Let's see what they brought...

19th Galena
Kobold thieves, goblin snatcher and 4 ambushing goblin squads. It seems like they were tracing human traders.
Kobolds were taken down by our bowyer Adil and war cheetah (Hydrall trained cheetah and jaguar that we got from elves and taught them some dirty war tricks). As for goblins, they are 'arguing' in ther usual way. I mean, they are killing each other. Okay, that mean we can just sit and watch, and then take care of others. Oh, and there is two human warriors among them.

18th Limestone, 253
We made nice trade with merchants. But then they left and came directly to goblin ambush - they finally resolved their agrues and were wandering there. Well, we told them to take care... But those arrogant species sayd - we have guards, they'll take care of them. So, now they all dead, their supplies are laying in the dirt. We just need to wait till gobbos got bored and take everything!
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 11:12:23 am by peregarrett »

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2010, 01:33:23 pm »

OOC:
- They killed Sodel!
- Bastards!  >:(

actually I don't know how we'll make through it. We're getting no new citizens. Can't check it now, but i wonder if some of dwarves are married. I think they need some spare time to socialize and form families. And then in 12 years we'll start getting new dwarves..

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2010, 03:15:44 pm »

How many dwarves do we have exactly?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2010, 03:24:14 pm »

How many dwarves do we have exactly?
12 for now

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #54 on: December 06, 2010, 03:30:24 pm »

FRAK! What copper did I miss?!

Unless I... Ah, shit, I might have actually put the wrong file up. I saved, remembered the copper, went back in and saved again, but then it had autosaved...

Oh well. Get someone else to be a metalsmith now.

Also, the reservoir is there because the lakes are salt water. and I sure as Hell ain't going to the caves for water, if even that is safe. Would a well actually help at all? Does a well desalinate the water?

-doesn't actually know-

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2010, 12:11:28 am »

FRAK! What copper did I miss?!

Also, the reservoir is there because the lakes are salt water. and I sure as Hell ain't going to the caves for water, if even that is safe. Would a well actually help at all? Does a well desalinate the water?

there was a few hematite pieces, down the moutain, to southeeast, near edge of map.

Yes, well can desalinate water. Anyway, we have a lot of booze and a lot of plants to brew, I don't think we'll need well for drinking.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2010, 07:53:06 am »

1st Moonstone, 253

Winter has come. So far we made grinder system (still not filled with weapon traps, but already working)
Z=0

Blue mark - entrance bridge, that is controlled from control room. It should be closed after invaders are in, to block anyone from cowardly fleeing
Read marks - hatches&plates, that force invaders to wander back and forth. Plates let citizens in, but block enemies.
between plates - weapon trap corridor. Each has 5 discs and 5 spiked balls.
Empty space before plate left for spike trap - to deal with building destroyers while they are destroying hatches.
Z=-1

Internal level of grinder. I chained war jaguar and war cheetah there, to block any theives.
OOC: grinder comes under F2 hotkey

Also we made safe entrance to first cavern

Here I made same plate+hatch combo, and bridge also is controlled from control room.
OOC: cave entrance under F3

Old tiny trap entrance was blocked, traps were dismantled. Grinder for now is the only way into out fortress. I believe it can handle most of invasions - after all traps being installed.

Also I'm doing massive jewelry works - we dig and cut any gem we find, and then encrust those stone crafts we made for trade.

Aside that, nothing special happened. Thieves stole items from massacred human caravan, but I don't really care.

DwarfyDwarf makes rock statues, to brighten our day a bit.

28th Obsidian, 253
Well, this year is finished, and now I shall pass the control of our fortress to another one.
At least my trap systems will help protect us from those uglies.
I designed work zone to move all magma industry inside, but it's not finished yet.
Milkable anmals are chained next to workshop, and we're having some cheese.

So, that's all. Good luck, Kipi!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3530
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 12:16:31 pm by peregarrett »

DwarfyDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Of course it's not safe! What are you, an ELF?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2010, 05:22:04 pm »

ALL YOUR DAYS SHALL BE BRIGHTENED!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I mean yaaaay!
Small elves in your beard. The STD of the Dwarven world.

Hydrall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TVTropes
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2010, 10:46:52 pm »

Awesome.

Still wish I could have finished my reservoir. Just building a well ain't dorfy enuff for me.

Then again, building a grinder works, I believe.

What about the west edge, is that safe? Not to mention the top hatch I put over the main hall.

Sweet Armok, I'm as paranoid as my dwarf.  :o :P

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2010, 12:34:18 am »

ALL YOUR DAYS SHALL BE BRIGHTENED!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I mean yaaaay!
Yeah, you made some statues. One, with goblin diying in trap, I put at control room, and another, which is our marshal hiding from oysters, was put at dining hall.  ;D\

Awesome.

Still wish I could have finished my reservoir. Just building a well ain't dorfy enuff for me.

Then again, building a grinder works, I believe.

What about the west edge, is that safe? Not to mention the top hatch I put over the main hall.

Sweet Armok, I'm as paranoid as my dwarf.  :o :P

Reservoir is full now
Grinder should work. I couldn't test it, but I believe it works.
West and north edges are blocked by wall, south and east - by cliffs. Until we've got flyers, we're ok. I made some holes inside fortress, to shorten ways between places. Maybe we should consider making roof or something..
Also, upright spikes at last tiles of grinder would be helpful.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8