Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Scientology  (Read 4537 times)

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
Re: Scientology
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 02:11:46 pm »

A mystery cult just means that no one tells you anything until you join and prove your worth and so on and so forth. Keeping secrets from the unworthy. I think Wicca is like that, and I'd say there's a pretty good case for Scientology too.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 02:14:09 pm »

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 02:15:58 pm »

yeah, on those grounds it might qualify.

Then again, scientologists don't exactly try to keep a low profile, or to be selective as to whom they recruit. They are militant proselytizers. They accept anyone willing to cough up their fees.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 03:08:36 pm »

I think Wicca is like that

It isn't.

Because karma is b!tch ;) (and that's only one reason) But indeed, such actions would be frowned upon.

Scientology on the other hand... but then again, most cults, sects & religions have no trouble doing so.

The most interesting stuff happens the moment people start interpreting (holy) books and then making money off it (and/or power, which equals back to more money I guess). Key moment to look for.... when they are done interpreting and start pointing out things that allow breaking their own rules. Then stuff usually gets exciting...

They seem pretty aggressive about "leaks" though... in their case it directly costs them money if people aren't paying for their books. I'm guessing these guys are big fans of the RIAA/MPAA  :P
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:13:24 pm by Sinned »
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 03:17:43 pm »

Quote from: Sinned
The most interesting stuff happens the moment people start interpreting (holy) books and then making money off it (and/or power, which equals back to more money I guess). Key moment to look for.... when they are done interpreting and start pointing out things that allow breaking their own rules. Then stuff usually gets exciting...
::)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 03:19:54 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 03:22:44 pm »

Bah, there's no such thing as a strict interpretation of a book. It's more like they strictly pick and choose their favorite passages and strictly use their own views on the matter.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 03:29:20 pm »

Yes. Everyone does that. But I find the notion of "X has deviated from the true roots of religion Y!" (or viceversa: "X has returned religion Y to it's true roots") amusing, as what happens  is that X is pulling his own, brand new interpretation of the religion.

And, as I said, sticking more strictly to the written text is not usually a good thing.

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 03:38:21 pm »

Quote from: Sinned
::)

Oh my, didn't make myself clear I guess... I wasn't trying to convey that message.

As in, that's a good pic of people reading a book (or being read to them) - that's been reinterpreted for the past ~2000year and edited for the masses.  They actually had a few meetings around ~300 AD to discuss the lose ends and edit in/out a few things.  (Councils of Nicaea)

To each their own of course, but in short, mostly (holy) books tend to rack up a impressive resumé over the years. YMMV and take em with a grain of salt ;)
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 04:07:35 pm »

I don't think you understand what the Council of Nicaea was. Also Sarah Palin, a scientologist? I can't take a word in the OP seriously now.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 04:12:59 pm »

Also Sarah Palin, a scientologist? I can't take a word in the OP seriously now.

Hahahaha! I didn't catch that part.

Just because Palin is batshit and a celebrity doesn't mean she's a scientologist.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 04:29:07 pm »

She has been, and still continues to be, deeply involved with the ultra-right-wing "Dominionist" church movement. READ THIS:

http://markcrispinmiller.blogspot.com/2008/09/sarah-palin-and-cnp.html

The main nexus for the Dominionists is the "Committee on National Policy", which strangely includes non-Christian organizations such as, yes, The Church of Scientology.

Wasn't that movement founded by the Left Behind guy? Is he a Scientologist too?

The leading "Dominionist" church is MorningStar ministries, which despite being a Christian church, leans heavily on "supernatural" themes and blatantly uses the Scientology Cross in their logo:

http://www.morningstarministries.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology_cross

It's a six pointed star turned into a cross. It doesn't seem far-fetched that two places would come up with the thing. I'd be more concerned that they're either A) worshipping Venus or B) worshipping Lucifer.

Scientology has a secular component and a religious component, and though Palin may or may not be telling the truth when she says it's not her religion, she IS a de-facto Scientologist on a secular level and a business level, whether she strictly follows the religious part of it or not.

She's also a theocrat, which is a hell of a lot more scary.

P.S. Fuck you Nikov.

That's completely unnecessary and you should probably edit it out.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2010, 04:35:29 pm »

I'd be more concerned that they're worshipping Venus

Venus is cool, she has lots of sex and ain't afraid of no one.
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2010, 04:37:23 pm »

That's completely unnecessary and you should probably edit it out.

Probably, but I think I'm saying what we're all thinking.

Also, here's an article by Cracked on it (the Palins are #1), and if you can't trust Cracked - who can you trust?
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 04:41:32 pm »

I don't think you understand what the Council of Nicaea was.

Well and I think you don't understand what the Council of Nicaea was.

*shrugs* Why do you think so? or maybe we can agree to disagree. Moving way far off topic also hehe.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2010, 04:43:24 pm »

Probably, but I think I'm saying what we're all thinking.

Hey. I like him. You need to learn to chill and appreciate people for their differences, even if the difference is they are republican.

if you can't trust Cracked - who can you trust?

Any one else.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4