Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Scientology  (Read 4536 times)

Scientology
« on: December 01, 2010, 10:00:55 am »

Yes, scientology is one of the most moronic money machines religions in the whole world and it's been beaten over and over again...

But, seriously, what the shit?

I'm looking over how many celebrities are scientologists and there are SO FUCKING MANY. Most of the major ones of my childhood, and a lot more from further back.

How can these people be so gullible and moronic to join a cult started under a hundred years ago that espouses a ridiculous philosophy that would cause more harm than good if it came out into the world?

I mean, I can understand Sarah Palin being a scientologist (and, yes, apparently she is, she just hides it very well), but there're some genuinely funny and intelligent people who still believe in this bullshit. :|

Is anyone here a scientologist and can explain this? Or is everyone on B12G more intelligent than "gullible moron"?
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Scientology
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 10:05:26 am »

Celebrities are granted a special status as soon as they join. According to Scientology, anyone who can spread it quickly is automatically granted a high whatsitsname, AHS level or something. So of course it's attractive for celebrities who like to have their ego stroked and being told that the unwashed masses of peons look up to them during their many intervention/torture/brainwashing sessions.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 10:23:33 am »

Personally, I'm in favour of MI5 infiltrating the higher echelons of the organisation, and finding evidence that it is a fraud and scam. Then I would like ALL scientology to have a prominent Gvmt warning on ALL literature, including letterheads, that read,' The Government regards this organisation to be little more than confidence fraud designed to releive insecure or egotists of their life savings.'

I'm not in favour of banning thoughts, ideas or organisations, but telling it how it is would be a good thing in this case. I would probably describe scientology as a form of evil.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 10:27:36 am »

Maybe it actually works? All those celebrities are joining because they get some kind of psychic powers out of the deal. Maybe using the old Scientologist mind trick is how they became celebrities! :o

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 11:38:43 am »

I really wouldn't mind scientology hadn't it been for that the leaders exploit the followers. It's like in the middle ages, where you could pay to have your sins repent. Then Martin Luther came along and changed that.

Hey, I wonder if that'll happen to scientology as well?
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 11:40:56 am »

Yes, scientology is one of the most moronic money machines religions in the whole world and it's been beaten over and over again...

No, no, no. Cult, it is a cult, not a religion.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 11:41:34 am »

I hate how plebs have to grind forever while rich kids can just buy all the final level spells for RL money. Cash shops ruin everything >:(
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 11:42:16 am »

I really wouldn't mind scientology hadn't it been for that the leaders exploit the followers. It's like in the middle ages, where you could pay to have your sins repent. Then Martin Luther came along and changed that.

Hey, I wonder if that'll happen to scientology as well?
And then Tom Cruise walked up to the Scientology headquarters and nailed his reforms to the door. With an explosion.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 12:04:06 pm »

Maybe religions would be more relevant to people under the age of 50 if they stopped hating on the gays and started hating on cults stealing people's money.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 01:01:59 pm »

The problem with scientology is not that it "takes people's money", as all religions do this, to different extents, and with different degrees of honesty as to what they do with those earnings.
If anything, their obviously commercial nature, and the details about ridiculous the things they actually believe, makes me think that if anyone decides to pay cash to join their courses, hey, caveat emptor.

The REAL problems with scientology is that they often engage in repressive tactics of dubious legality against skeptics and oponents of it, that they have been know to act in abusive ways towards their followers (sometimes with deadly consequences. Google "Lisa McPherson"), and that they have been known to shun medical science in general, and psychiatry in particular, in favor of their "rituals" (for lack of a better word), which has also had dire results for people in the past.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 01:14:47 pm »

Maybe religions would be more relevant to people under the age of 50 if they stopped hating on the gays and started hating on cults stealing people's money.

The Quakers are like that.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 01:29:47 pm »

No, no, no. Cult, it is a cult, not a religion.

Cult is a small religion.
Christianity was called a cult.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2010, 02:02:45 pm »

Scientology is definitely a mystery cult.
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2010, 02:07:02 pm »

I don't think that means what you think it means

EDIT: or are you referring to the secretive nature of those cults as a paralell to the secretive (of sorts) nature of scientology? In that regard there is a superficial resemblance, but I feel bad comparing the practitioners of Grecorroman mysteries to scientologists.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 02:11:31 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 02:09:47 pm »

I always thought of it as more of a wacky book club.

"Hey Joey, after you read Battlefield Earth you should really check out Dianetics."

I don't think that means what you think it means

Actually Scientology seems to make a pretty good mystery cult. Secret figure gave them secret teachings that they only share with you if you join.

It's kind of like the shittiest version of gnosticism ever.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4