Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: No more cavern monsters?????  (Read 2652 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No more cavern monsters?????
« on: December 01, 2010, 12:45:53 am »

So, I'm about 3 years into my fort, and for the last year or so it's been really quite, creature-wise, As in, the entire complement of the underground creatures I encountered was.... one zombie gremlin. (And my second Forgotten Beast, but whatever.) Whereas the first couple years was a cavalcade of troglodytes, a couple trolls, zombie troglodytes, giant toads, zombie trolls, etc. Surely the caverns aren't, like, depleted after only two years? I've explored all of the first two cavern levels; the third is all watery though.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No more cavern monsters?????
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 11:13:45 am »

Yes, it is possible to slaughter all local wildlife. :(

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 11:29:34 am »

theres a population cap built into creature raws. 

basically theres a finite number of these things.  one spawns or enters the map and the population total decreases by one.  if it leaves again it is re-added to the population.  if you intervene and kill/cage it it is not.

when the population hits 0 you have effectively extincted them in your local area.  This is most usually seen with surface critters and overhunting but also applies to underground guys.

You can increase the populations of these creatures by altering the entry in question (though my memory fails me and i dont recall exactly where this is).  Such an alteration may require regen of the world to take effect, im not certain.

The raw entry in question looks something like this:

population_count:number:number

where the second number is the total pool of creatures and is therefore the number you want to increase.

Might be someone will post here with the specifics such as the exact tag and its location.  If not youd be most likely to get the answer you seek in the modding section
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 11:31:07 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 12:50:54 pm »

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Creature_token#P

POPULATION_NUMBER    min:max    The minimum/maximum numbers of how many of these creatures can show up on a map per year.

Presumably if you crank those numbers up to absurdly high values there could be more population available, however it seems that you can run out of creatures, even for vermin!

Ever run out of fish or turtles? Even case spiders vanish after a while. :(

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 01:26:25 pm »

Can these numbers be jacked up and still work without having to gen a new world though?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 01:39:35 pm »

Can these numbers be jacked up and still work without having to gen a new world though?

No, you will need to generate a new world.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 08:52:21 pm »

Well, within a day of the year rolling around, a giant olm and two troggos walked in. Guess it's a yearly thing then. Phew, I was almost worried that there wouldn't be enough Fun around here!
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 09:37:53 pm »

Yeah, undead draws from an unlimited pool of creatures.  If none of them are showing up either then it isn't population that is your problem.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 09:52:22 pm »

basically theres a finite number of these things.  one spawns or enters the map and the population total decreases by one.  if it leaves again it is re-added to the population.  if you intervene and kill/cage it it is not.
That's likely the bug. My understanding of the pop cap is that it's simply to prevent them from having so many simultaneous members that it begins to bog down the game, not to limit the total number that can ever have existed.

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 02:46:26 am »

That's likely the bug. My understanding of the pop cap is that it's simply to prevent them from having so many simultaneous members that it begins to bog down the game, not to limit the total number that can ever have existed.

One of the numbers governs the total number at one time on the map.  Also, I remember reading somewhere that it wasn't a permanent cap, but a yearly one.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 11:13:27 am »

There is a permanent cap. I do long term fortresses, and with about a dozen hunter or soldiers I can entirely depopulate the area. Nothing ever spawns after I kill off the last creatures. :(

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 11:17:47 am »

There is a permanent cap. I do long term fortresses, and with about a dozen hunter or soldiers I can entirely depopulate the area. Nothing ever spawns after I kill off the last creatures. :(
POPULATION_NUMBER    min:max         The minimum/maximum numbers of how many of these creatures can show up on a map per year.

The wiki might be incorrect?
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

SmokedRWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 12:57:45 pm »

From personal experience you can definitely hunt a species into extinction as on a previous fortress I captured some 50 gorillas and then wild gorillas simply stopped showing up even after I tamed and butchered about 40 of them ( I kept the ones with the desirable traits for breeding purposes)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 01:12:00 pm »

I may have done something similar, I have about 10 Trogs in cages and havn't got a new trog in over a year, Elkbirds are also rareKLilling them off seems to bring more, but if you cpature them they seem to stop.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 08:11:27 am »

Isn't it possible to set things to unnumbered? I seem to recall that vermin and
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
get that treatment.
Pages: [1] 2