Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Powder Toy  (Read 55695 times)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Powder Toy
« Reply #165 on: December 17, 2010, 07:36:43 am »

Is it just me, or did the latest version fuck nuclear reactions to hell? Devices that reduced Destructable City 5 to a single giant crater full of lava struggle to even take the top off the tower... D:
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #166 on: December 17, 2010, 09:00:50 am »

Yeah the materials we used to use for shells now shatter long before the reaction is at a satisfactory state...

I find the Fuse material makes a good replacement if you used to use Coal shells. But it has to be a really big shell, still...
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 17, 2010, 09:29:47 am »

Hmm... That must be it, since the "gigantic block of DEUT at absolute zero surrounded by a ring of neutrons and metal" annihilates the city as well, or better, than it used to.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 17, 2010, 10:20:48 am »

Will metal still work?
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 17, 2010, 10:51:10 am »

Hmmm... While giant blocks of absolute zero deuterium seem to work just as well, plutonium doesn't... Adding a thicker (metal, as always) shell just ate up more of the reaction strength.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2011, 02:19:02 pm »

New version is out.

Spoiler: New materials (click to show/hide)

Another noticable change, on some display settings, materials will glow red when heated up, increasing in intensity as it reaches its melting point.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 12, 2011, 11:00:56 am »

Wow, the boyle gas is great for making stable nuke triggers. A bit of that in a metal shell with a couple of wifi blocks triggers plutonium slowly and under controlled circumstances. Provided it's all at absolute zero.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 25, 2011, 11:46:02 am »

Bump.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 25, 2011, 12:23:24 pm »

Heh, I just updated this this morning, and set to work trying to build a still in it (again). Unfortunately, the water cloners just filled with steam, and turning water into distilled water isn't too impressive...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 25, 2011, 09:16:32 pm »

Interesting effect from putting uranium and boyle in an enclosed space.

Also tried to make a furnace that drops coal and a mix of iron and sand(for impurities), and melts it out by blasting it with plasma gas(regular fire+burning coal isn't hot enough for that. Could replace coal with thermite. That's hot enough), but it just isn't working right. :-\
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 25, 2011, 10:20:44 pm »

Heh, I just updated this this morning, and set to work trying to build a still in it (again). Unfortunately, the water cloners just filled with steam, and turning water into distilled water isn't too impressive...

When you said "still" I thought you meant the DF sort at first. THAT would be fun to put into a game like this.
Same concept: a simple retort still for extracting something that has a different point of vaporization from a fluid by heating it so that it evaporates and recondenses someplace where it ends up in a separate container. If yeast ate sugar and shat out alcohol when in water, it would be possible in theory. The main problem is how hard it is to control the temperature. I've made a semi-functional still before (complete with a cooling/condensation bit to recondense the water after turning it to steam), separating oil from water, or turning saltwater into distilled water, but in the first case the gas from the oil was ignited by the steam, and in the second the salt piled up, then turned into lava.

Interesting effect from putting uranium and boyle in an enclosed space.

Also tried to make a furnace that drops coal and a mix of iron and sand(for impurities), and melts it out by blasting it with plasma gas(regular fire+burning coal isn't hot enough for that. Could replace coal with thermite. That's hot enough), but it just isn't working right. :-\
I tried that. Problem is both broken metal and sand turns into lava when heated enough. A plasma blast furnace is easy enough, using some creative electrode setups (creative because every single conductor other than electrodes melts when exposed to the heat the plasma produces...).

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2011, 11:11:40 pm »

I used cloned plasma, plus a E-Wall and Fan wall. Metal and sand do both lava-ize, but at different temperatures, so the trick to seperating them would be to make it cool down so one of them solidifies(metal solidifies first), but I think one of the walls I think I need for that is bugged/mislabled.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 26, 2011, 12:03:29 am »

Use high pressure and gradual cooling. I couldn't get a self-sustained rig to accomplish this, but using the white hole material and manually cooling/heating the lava in a bowl produces the effect of forcing the glass to the bottom, leaving molten metal on top. The problem otherwise is on cooling broken metal behaves like metal, and broken glass behaves like glass (and sometimes just ends up as glass to start with), so the pressure keeps them "broken" so they both behave like particles, meaning the glass drops to the bottom while the metal remains on top. Might even be possible to use voids and careful cooling to make it automatically remove the glass, so long as the metal keeps flowing over it fast enough, and ends up in a separate cooling chamber.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 26, 2011, 01:29:49 am »

The only thing I don't like about this game is that heat doesn't travel through empty space. Things need to be touching in order for heat to transfer.

And FYI, deut bombs are the best.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 26, 2011, 01:31:20 am »

I'm not really sure what is causing it, but I appear to be incapable of cloning bombs. They simply explode the instant they exist. The upswing is that it makes for a cool energy cannon.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14