Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Powder Toy  (Read 55723 times)

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
Re: Powder Toy
« Reply #150 on: December 13, 2010, 11:11:23 pm »

Can anyone explain this reaction to me?

Step 1: Make a circular shell or bowl out of anything. Anything at all.
Step 2: fill it around halfway with nitro liquid.
Step 3: Pour some liquid rubidium on top of that.
Step 4: Pour some thermite on top of that.

Step 5: It explodes.
Step 6: It leaves behind broken metal (if you use an indestructable shell) as a precipitant of the reaction.

What happened? Something about the combination of nitro, liquid rubidium and thermite causes it to explode, but ONLY if you mix them in that particular order. I can't get them to explode in any other order. And what's up with the broken metal?
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 14, 2010, 12:15:05 am »

By "liquid nitro" do you mean "nitroglycerin" or "liquid nitrogen"?

Because in either case I cannot reproduce your results.

The broken metal might come from the thermite (it does have an iron-oxide base).

Edit:
Ah ha, I figured it out.  Liquid rubidium needs to be a certain tempurature to remain a liquid, that tempurature (about 67 C) combined with the pressure from the two liquids (the rubidium and the thermite) falling on it caused the nitro to explode.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 12:28:45 am by Draco18s »

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #152 on: December 14, 2010, 10:06:43 am »

Awesome. Science!
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 14, 2010, 02:43:26 pm »

I did what Argem said.  I have a bunch of lava at the bottom of it now.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 15, 2010, 11:06:43 am »

Speaking of wierd reactions, Liquid Oxygen always ignites diesel, even though liquid oxygen is supercold.

Liquid oxygen also needs an ice form IMO......

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 15, 2010, 12:08:34 pm »

Speaking of wierd reactions, Liquid Oxygen always ignites diesel, even though liquid oxygen is supercold.
Doesn't happen for me. Maybe it was pressure? Also, Oxygen is flammable(in reality, it's needed for combustion), so if the Diesel was already on fire, the oxygen gets ignited(or vice versa).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 15, 2010, 12:21:49 pm »

Doesn't happen for me. Maybe it was pressure? Also, Oxygen is flammable(in reality, it's needed for combustion), so if the Diesel was already on fire, the oxygen gets ignited(or vice versa).
It only happened to me between a considerable amount of oxygen and diesel.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 15, 2010, 01:54:30 pm »

Which would be pressure ignition.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 15, 2010, 02:26:07 pm »

I'm fine with oxygen igniting diesel, I mean its expected, I just wasn't sure whether it was suppoused to do that with diesel element. Maybe it was pressure ignition that I was seeing.

And yes I know Liquid Oxygen is used as rocket fuel.....

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 15, 2010, 05:44:54 pm »

Oxygen is flammable(in reality, it's needed for combustion)
In reality, it is ALSO quite flammable. If you were to switch the ratio of N and O in Earth's atmosphere, you'd blow up the planet if you wanted to light a match.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 15, 2010, 08:58:29 pm »

Oxygen is flammable(in reality, it's needed for combustion)
In reality, it is ALSO quite flammable. If you were to switch the ratio of N and O in Earth's atmosphere, you'd blow up the planet if you wanted to light a match.

Oxygen itself is not flammable.

I've done this (more specifically the science teacher did, but I could reproduce it if I had the tools)

1) Perform hydrolysis.  Split water into Hydrogen molecules and oxygen molecules.
2) Fill a test tube with one (say Hydrogen).  Light a match, blow it out.  Stick it in.
3) *POP* goes the test tube with a flash of flame, as the hydrogen burns and rapidly exits the test tube.
4) Repeat with Oxygen.  Light a match, blow it out, stick it in the test tube full of oxygen.
5) Observe as the match merely re-lights itself.

Is oxygen flammable?
will oxygen burn by itself without a fuel source?

Best Answer - Chosen by Asker
The answer is resoundingly NO. Oxygen is NOT a fuel. Flames, fire and all related chemical reactions are a result of a FUEL being OXIDIZED, or being combined with oxygen. The application of oxygen to a burning fuel will cause the fire to burn much more vigorously, as well as hotter.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 15, 2010, 09:05:41 pm »

I remember doing an experiment like that in elementary school, only with a lit match, and we also did it with carbon dioxide(the match went out). Science is awesome.

Demki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 16, 2010, 02:35:30 am »

I remember doing an experiment like that in elementary school, only with a lit match, and we also did it with carbon dioxide(the match went out). Science is awesome.
And ‼science‼ is even better. ;D

‼Science‼=science on fire

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 17, 2010, 12:15:24 am »

So how does one go about obtaining stable absolute zero Deut? I've been letting my little coolant box/container go at it for a little while and when I shut off the clone it keeps getting reduced to one pixel.

Edit: Nevermind, after running it for about ten minutes I had a sizable amount for a stamp. Managed to copy and past that into a eleven pixel radius bomb (with two outer layers of insulation)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 12:32:16 am by Astral »
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #164 on: December 17, 2010, 03:55:51 am »

what does it do? can i see?
I got nothing
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14