Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Powder Toy  (Read 55701 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Powder Toy
« on: November 30, 2010, 12:22:13 pm »

I found this game at another forum. It's basically a FSG mod. Except with electricity, heat simulation, pressure simulation, and a bunch of other stuff. Quote from the other forum :

Quote from: Other Forum
Powdertoy? Never heard of it?
Now you have, so you have no excuse.
Be there..http://www.powdertoy.co.uk

I find it very interesting the fill a resovoir with lava, then drop dust or something flammable/explosive in it and have an explosion.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Powder Toy
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 12:36:29 pm »

More fun that that cake simulator a few months ago.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 12:37:30 pm »

Yes, I've been playing with this for a while now. Blowing up premade cities with premade nuclear bombs is fun.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 12:43:11 pm »

Ah yes, Powder Game. I don't think it has heat simulation, just some clever element interactions. The true merit of this is the air pressure simulation. It's separate from the flowing entities like dust so you can't make dust walls and they don't have true pressure, but it's still cool and very fast. I think there is a rendering filter that deals with light, but it's been a while.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 01:31:09 pm »

It has heat simulation. Move your mouse over an element in the field and it will tell you how hot it is. It also has elements that interact with heat.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 01:43:48 pm »

I think that is just for the heat filter. I have yet to see any object ignite from simply being near but not touching magma, the hottest element, making me believe heat is purely cosmetic.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 03:20:35 pm »

I'm not so sure. I think I made diesel explode(or at least, convert into fire) by constanty fill-boxing it with the heat object. It didn't work for nitroglycerin, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 03:22:06 pm »

It has heat simulation. Move your mouse over an element in the field and it will tell you how hot it is. It also has elements that interact with heat.
Dude, your avatar pic.... what is that?

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 03:27:14 pm »

Cortex Command

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 03:46:07 pm »

Ahh yes, Powder Toy. At the beginning of this school year I uploaded a copy of it onto the School's network. I told a few people about it, who told a few more people, and now literally every time I walk into a room with computers, at least three people are playing it. It's a friggin plague.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 03:49:15 pm »

Ahh yes, Powder Toy. At the beginning of this school year I uploaded a copy of it onto the School's network. I told a few people about it, who told a few more people, and now literally every time I walk into a room with computers, at least three people are playing it. It's a friggin plague.

This happened with DOOM roguelike in the school I went to.

It was hilarious.
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

SquidgyB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 03:55:17 pm »

I could be wrong but I think that's Delve Deeper. it's available on Steam.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 03:58:01 pm »

Hehehe, made an improvised nuclear device. Somehow, detonating it caused some kind of vortex that was only visible because the water I had used to conduct the electricity to detonate the device had somehow boiled, and the steam started to blow around.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 04:03:28 pm »

Detonating a nuke seems to cause a vortex of low pressure at the core of the explosion. Its temporary me thinks, but it can glitch out become permanent.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 04:22:31 pm »

I think that is just for the heat filter. I have yet to see any object ignite from simply being near but not touching magma, the hottest element, making me believe heat is purely cosmetic.

It's not.  Make a nuke in a city.  Buildings catch fire and start to disintegrate before the bomb penetrates its shell.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14