Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How orderly do you do your mines?

Nothing is "orderly". Its just random tunnels
I try to place some order, but it sometimes gets insane...
EVERYTHING MUST BE IN PERFECT ORDER!
I just use fort mode for making dungons.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Whats your tunneling system?  (Read 2013 times)

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your tunneling system?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 12:54:04 pm »

Dig out the first four floors for workshops, dining, bedrooms, etc. Play for a few years, then go spelunking for caverns'n'such.

As mentioned, the frequency of ores is such that I pretty much never need to explore, but I used to explore like so:
Code: [Select]
██_████_███
███_████_██
████_████_█
_████_████_
█_████_████

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 02:52:53 pm »

I did a grid system in the start, but it quikly degenareted into digging random squares where I feel lucky or near where stuff I want in the caverns have been spotted.
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 03:15:07 pm »

When I'm low on stone (usually only at the beginning of a fortress) I designate a huge area and mine it out. Then it turns into tunnels for mining out specific stones.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 03:20:44 pm »

I tend to mine out chunks of the stone I need in squares.

Given that I embark 2x2 to keep both a decent number (~100) of dwarves my fps's playable, I can't be too picky about doing tunnels, and stuff, though.

Also, I don't use stairs at all while tunneling (in fact, I only use stairs as scaffolds). I use ramps instead.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 03:29:40 pm »

OBEY THE SHIFT KEY!

No really. All my rooms and stairwells are decided by that ever-so-handy shift key which makes your cursor move eleven instead of one square. Four shifts for every stairwell, three shift-rooms in between,... Are you guys getting this?
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 03:52:07 pm »

I build my things wherever they'll go, but only if they will go completely. For instance, my dining room MUST be in obsidian, but if there's no large area of obsidian, I'll dig down until I find one.

My workshops MUST go in the little shape I've designed for them:
  • 2-wide corridor
  • 10x5 room in the middle to hold 2 kennels
  • 12x3 on either side of that separated by a single wall from the kennels on the "inside" and the major industries on the "outside". The middle tile touching the corridor is left un-dug, with doors either side. These are the "assorted" workshops that work with anything that doesn't give off miasma. There are 8 such workshops, which go perfectly into the 2 12x3 sections provided.
  • The major industries get 12x3 as well. Craftswdwarf workshops are closest to the corridor, with 2 Mason's workshops in one of the Major industry sections and 2 carpenter's in the other. Bowyer goes in the final spot on the wood side, mechanic's gets the last spot on the stone side.
  • Another, 1-wide corridor is built connecting the edges of the two "assorted" workshop strips. This has three tiles in the middle widened away from the kennels, forming a hollow in which a quern or millstone may go.
  • From the milling hollow, a 21 tall, 11 wide mini-stockpile is dug, providing the basic materials for the workshops gathered here.

If I hit a vein in any stage of any mining project, it will get mined to its fullest and then walled up once all of the goods are gone. Veins found while mining these are treated likewise. Any vein touching an unsafe place will be mined when I have enough Stonesmoothers (my horde of mason/smoother/hauler dwarves whose sole purpose is to build and smooth en masse) to build walls immediately after the mining work is done.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

omniclasm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 03:54:36 pm »

Exploring one z-level -> 2 long digs, with 2 squares in between them, repeat until i find something i want

Going down z-levels -> just one long up/down staircase, if i hit caverns and dont want to deal with it, i build a set of up stairs on top of my last up/down

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 03:55:22 pm »

I have some patterns I like for workshops and every sort of room I'm going to define so I just dig a winding hallways and lay those things down on the side of it. Much more prone to + type hallways than actually completing a square of them around things. Maybe I'll start though to make things interesting.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 [2]