Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Creating a new race and using it in adventurer mode. How?  (Read 1215 times)

King of the Underworld

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Creating a new race and using it in adventurer mode. How?
« on: November 30, 2010, 06:16:17 am »

How to use a race that I just created in adventurer mode?

Another questions to not waste space in another topics:

1. Is the creature body size influential in the power of the attacks?

2. Let's say that I wanted my creature to have feet of stone and hands of iron and a fast regenerating head I would have to modify things in the material_template_defaut, tissue_template_defaut and the creature_standart only or anything more (what would I have to mod)?

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a new race and using it in adventurer mode. How?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 06:37:55 pm »

2. Let's say that I wanted my creature to have feet of stone and hands of iron and a fast regenerating head I would have to modify things in the material_template_defaut, tissue_template_defaut and the creature_standart only or anything more (what would I have to mod)?

1) Not really, that's all handled by strength from how I understand it.

2) Actually, number one I'm fairly sure that you can only have skin (the tissue you'd have to mod to make stone/iron creatures) be one type of tissue all around. To figure that one out, just look at how the vanilla Bronze Colossus is handled in the raws. As for fast regenerating head you would have to make the whole body that way, and that's the recuperation phys_att tag. Just change all the values to 5000, and there you go... though it'd be fairly tough to take down, I'm thinking, from just that alone.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 07:05:40 pm »

1) Not really, that's all handled by strength from how I understand it.

2) Actually, number one I'm fairly sure that you can only have skin (the tissue you'd have to mod to make stone/iron creatures) be one type of tissue all around. To figure that one out, just look at how the vanilla Bronze Colossus is handled in the raws. As for fast regenerating head you would have to make the whole body that way, and that's the recuperation phys_att tag. Just change all the values to 5000, and there you go... though it'd be fairly tough to take down, I'm thinking, from just that alone.

Body size has a massive effect on damage. Giants can splatter a human's skull with a decent punch, often through armour. The feet of stone guy seems possible too, but you'll need someone a lot more knowledgible than I to work it out. Try the Modding Help thread

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 08:58:08 pm »

A high body size can also allow you to successfully grab large enemies, such as dragons, without them breaking your grip. Depending on your size, you can then throw them halfway across the map.
Also, when attacking you will occasionally knock the target back with the force of the blow.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 08:59:39 pm »

A high body size can also allow you to successfully grab large enemies, such as dragons, without them breaking your grip. Depending on your size, you can then throw them halfway across the map.
Also, when attacking you will occasionally knock the target back with the force of the blow.

This is true. Thanks for the reminder, honestly. I needed that before I screwed with creatures in my mod anymore. :P
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 09:03:30 pm »

Yeah, size has a huge effect upon combat power, both in how much damage a creature can deal out and in how much it can take before it goes down. As for the changing types of tissues, it is actually possible to edit individual types of tissues on a creature to creature basis right in the creature file. In this way you could just redefine the tissues on the creature's feet as being stone, the tissues on the creatures hands to be iron, and you could even create new tissues that would just be placed on the creature's head that regenerated extremely quickly all in the creature entry. Unfortunately I haven't messed around with these capabilities enough to help you out that much with them, but I do know that all that I have said is possible.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

King of the Underworld

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 05:50:00 pm »

Well, guys, thank you.

vipre01

• Bay Watcher
  • asdf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2010, 02:12:32 pm »

Changing their ethics to something different from another civ will make them war.