Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 2023

Author Topic: The Land of Lost Dimensions.  (Read 634766 times)

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The City of Madness. Apt.
« Reply #5520 on: January 31, 2011, 09:03:34 am »

"Credits"
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: January 31, 2011, 09:06:24 am »

"Ehh? CSE credits? Or something else? 'Cause, well, frankly, we haven't made contact with your civ before, so there's no basis for exchange rates 'n such."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: January 31, 2011, 09:11:59 am »

"You haven't ?, there's a mass relay in this system you know"

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: January 31, 2011, 09:16:08 am »

*Vorthon squints and tilts his head*

"'Mass Relay'? What's that? Do we even come from the same reality?"

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5524 on: January 31, 2011, 09:19:36 am »

"A long, sideways U with a big blueish glowball, though it did shut off once I entered the system."

"Also I don't think we were from the same reality"

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5525 on: January 31, 2011, 09:23:00 am »

"Are they FTL transport systems? We prefer to use wormholes. And where you come from, do sophonts live mostly on garden worlds, or do they use space-based habitats? This settlement we've got here is only temporary until we can mine enough materials from the asteroids in this system to build O'Neill cylinders and Banks Orbitals."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: January 31, 2011, 09:26:38 am »

"They are indeed FTL transport. Where I come from, there is a mixture of the two but mostly living on garden worlds"

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: January 31, 2011, 09:34:17 am »

*Vorthon tries to stifle a laugh, but fails miserably after a couple seconds. He burst out laughing.*

"You still have the majority of your population on garden worlds?" he manages to say between gales of laughter, "Do you still use chemical rockets, as well? Oh! I know! You probably still use fission power as a major energy source! And planet-based assembly for large structures! Oh kraahk, you guys really need a lesson in economics and resource management."

*He manages to stop laughing.*

"Seriously, it's not smart to concentrate most of your population on garden worlds. In the CSE, the populations on garden worlds very rarely exceed 250 million. Compare that to the 750 million that some of our larger habitats can host. Kraahk, at least 85% of the CSE's population lives in some kind of space-based habitat."

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: January 31, 2011, 09:38:57 am »

Berkar walks over to the prinnies and gives a quiet hello, while Dariel blinks over to the location of Vorthon.
"Hey there, well, I don't really get to see you much around here. Who are you?"
((And leaving now.))
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 09:41:47 am by Phantom »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5529 on: January 31, 2011, 09:42:49 am »

"Mind you, we do use fusion power, and the largest of our space-borne habitat only holds 11 Million. And there is a few species that need special environments. We're confined by a lack of conventional FTL drives and and are still in one galaxy"

"You can try and teach them economics but I doubt they'll listen, too greedy"

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: January 31, 2011, 09:53:50 am »

*Vorthon jumps a little, startled by Dariel.*

"Oh, sorry, didn't see you there. I'm Vorthon. I was just seeing if anyone wanted to head into the CSE settlement with me for some clubbing. Yeah, I'm a citizen, and I know the culture, so If you do decide to come, don't get seperated from me. There's some... rather unpleasant... situations you could find yourself in if you do."

*Vorthon glances over at Taricus.*

"So are we. And 'special environments' is pretty carbon-chauvinist of you. The CSE is composed of... let me see if I can remember... several hundred different species. A fair number of them have a boron-nitrogen biochemical substrate and use liquid ammonia as a solvent, then there's the silicon-based species which use sulphuric acid and require temperatures of around 422.03 kelvin, then there's the boron-nitrogen-based ones who use gaseous ammonia and are essentially floating gasbags and then there's this one species which seems to be artificial in nature because there native to a large terrestrial world yet use a dense smog-like gas as a solvent, and that's just for starters. Kraahk, even amongst the carbon-baseds, there's variation: Using a water/hydrogen peroxide mix instead plain old water, using a water/ammonia solution instead of just water, arsenic in place of phosphorus in DNA analogues, etc. And we still manage. And besides, we haven't even covered the milky way in our own universe. Just a few million systems out of ~200 billion."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: January 31, 2011, 09:58:20 am »

"We haven't even broken our thousands of colonized worlds, though it doesn't help species go extinct every 50 millenia to make eldritch abominations in our universe"

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: January 31, 2011, 10:02:32 am »

"50 million years is plenty of time to colonize the galaxy, even with STL technologies. And we've at for only about 150 years. Helps that we torikan breed like rabbits, to borrow a human phrase, though. And that we've managed to stretch life almost indefinetly with nanotech augmentations and mind backups. And yeah, let's just head downtown."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: January 31, 2011, 10:03:25 am »

((Millenia= 1000 years))

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: January 31, 2011, 10:04:10 am »

((Millenia= 1000 years))
((FACEPALMx10+HEADDESKx3))

((To self: STUPID! STUPID! STUPID! How the hell could you not notice it was 'millenia' not 'million'?
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 2023