Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Dwarven Designs  (Read 27519 times)

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Designs
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2010, 08:13:26 pm »

Lovin' the game so far, can't believe it's free. I can easily see me paying 25$ atleast, but let's not give Toady ideas.

Donate :P

Also...

Surface
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
first of my 2 wading pools turned out to freeze in winter so i had it floored, the entrance tunnel created by the walls is roofed but boneyard isnt

z-1

theres another 15 or so levels with that workshop setup.  couple round the central stair with associated stockpiles next to 'em.  got about 40 workshops with no more than 26 steps between any given two...that stair sees a LOT of traffic.  I used this vertical layout here since the 1st caverns are about 25 z tall between floor and roof which limited me a lot.

dining hall and dormatory

bedrooms (every dwarf except the very newest migrants)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 08:16:22 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Jaxicat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2010, 08:14:42 pm »

Here's one of my old bedroom layouts from a fort I had a while back. 

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2010, 08:16:40 pm »

wow....thats epic mate
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2010, 08:19:36 pm »

All of my forts are laid out in neat 17x17 city blocks with 3 tile-wide corridors. This makes design much easier, adding a new block is done largely with sets of two shift-arrow keystrokes. The bottom left block has the main dining room with adjoining food stockpile and individual rooms for six of the seven founders. The seventh founder is the expedition leader, and has a suite in the adjacent administrator block, complete with private 4x5 bedrooms and 4x5 dining rooms linked to a special food stockpile. The manager and bookkeeper have suites in this block, as will the militia commander (when he/she is appointed). The administrator's offices are immediately across the hall to the right.

The topmost block has the migrant dormitory. Migrants are assigned one of the empty bedrooms in this block once they achieve legendary status in a skill (usually via the Danger Room).
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

ext0l

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2010, 09:04:34 pm »

This is awesome.
Why isn't it on the wiki yet  >:(

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2010, 09:18:35 pm »

Very pretty :)

I use a basic modular (boring) design at the moment, I am still fairly new and have yet to try the engineering options apart from the very basics (drawbridges and floodgates). I will get around to it eventually.  :P

First level in is my storage area with a little area to the north west where I drained a small pond and made an underground farm for shrooms.

Workshop level with magma forges and smelters in the south east corner. two corridors to the east and west leading to mining shafts.

Communal level with the magma channels to the south that fuel the forges upstairs. The hospital is to the north west along with the wells, the kitchen area to the right and the rather modest dining area to the north. The rooms to the east are prison cells though I havent had to use any yet as everyone is happy.

Bedrooms for the grunts. (x2)

Noble area. the Dukes quarters, office and dining area to the south west with areas for the Mayor, sheriff and (spare) just north. the entire east side is reserved for the king/queen with a large throne room on the south east and bedroom/ dining area in the north west section.

And finally the crypt. Pets and grunts are buried in the north west section with nobles buried in the tombs in the southwest. The large room in the south east might be used as an arena and the rooms in the north east are just spares.

Apologies for the uncropped images, paint refused to let me crop them and it's late here and I can't be bothered to fight with it.  :o
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 10:00:33 pm by Sir Crashalot »

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2010, 09:21:39 pm »

please use the built in insert image link? :[ laziness discourages the opening of new tabs.

Sir Crashalot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2010, 09:33:21 pm »

Doesn't work with those links, Im afraid. :(

Its from an old fort and I (also lazily) just copied over this post from another forum that I posted it on a while back. D:

Edit: ok fixed.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 10:11:44 pm by Sir Crashalot »

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2010, 09:34:16 pm »

I build my fortresses around the principal that 3D paths are shorter than 2D ones. Hence, I have many small floors around a central column of stairs.

Most floors are built on what I call the Cloverleaf Pattern:

Output stockpiles surround the workshops. There is a supply floor directly above or below every production floor.

Private rooms are the Asterisk Pattern:

As you can see, the whole design is door-free and uses diagonal entrances to contain miasma.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2010, 10:12:54 pm »

Holy shit, Jaxicat, that's a NICE design!

Anyway.
Here is my bedroom complex. I'd rate it at half as good as the above. ;)

Some industrial...

And a cavern entrance. I'd honestly like to see a pict or two from other people on this, as I'm not satisfied with the current state of the entrance.
Il Palazzo: "Urist, quick, grab your ax! There's a troll rampaging through the decimal conversion chambers!"
melomel: DF is like OCD candy, isn't it? existent: No, DF is like the stranger in the trench coat offering the candy.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 02, 2010, 10:17:05 pm »

I build my fortresses around the principal that 3D paths are shorter than 2D ones. Hence, I have many small floors around a central column of stairs.

Output stockpiles surround the workshops. There is a supply floor directly above or below every production floor.

As you can see, the whole design is door-free and uses diagonal entrances to contain miasma.

Wouldn't that design be a bit limited if you hit a relatively shallow cavern layer? And what about defense? Or are these individual columns for bedrooms and workshops that go down from the main floors? Like the design though.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #56 on: December 02, 2010, 10:29:23 pm »

Wouldn't that design be a bit limited if you hit a relatively shallow cavern layer? And what about defense? Or are these individual columns for bedrooms and workshops that go down from the main floors? Like the design though.

I deliberately begin construction as high off ground level as possible so that I can often get 15 to 20 floors in before even hitting the water table. Defense begins on the ground level descending with long staggered hallways filled with traps. The main entrance is a long hallway connecting some floor to the outside, with a widened area for the depot.  Also, there is a space between each room and the stairs to insert a trap or an animal rope.

I don't think I've ever had a forgotten beast make it to the main civilian area.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 02, 2010, 10:50:45 pm »

I deliberately begin construction as high off ground level as possible so that I can often get 15 to 20 floors in before even hitting the water table. Defense begins on the ground level descending with long staggered hallways filled with traps. The main entrance is a long hallway connecting some floor to the outside, with a widened area for the depot.  Also, there is a space between each room and the stairs to insert a trap or an animal rope.

I don't think I've ever had a forgotten beast make it to the main civilian area.

Sounds like you have this very well planned out. I might use that strategy next time I start a new fort, with certain floors staggered a bit to allow for magma furnaces (I do love my magma  :D)

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2010, 10:56:13 pm »

Sounds like you have this very well planned out. I might use that strategy next time I start a new fort, with certain floors staggered a bit to allow for magma furnaces (I do love my magma  :D)

Some of my floors do have slightly imperfect shapes to accommodate things like magma forges. The farms and fresh water are also usually an area of their own connected by as long a tunnel as need be. I do exploratory mining starting in a cross-shape from the one-tile-wide areas between the rooms on the clover.

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2010, 11:31:49 pm »

Some of my floors do have slightly imperfect shapes to accommodate things like magma forges.

Just had a potentially Fun idea concerning this problem. Take one section of a floor, seal it off (magma-safe, passage-forbidden door should do the trick), channel magma into it. Above this section is your magma powered smelter, forge, etc. As a bonus, you could put housing for a potentially frustrating noble below this. With a lever that just so happens to open a magma-proof floor hatch in his ceiling  ;D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6