Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Dwarven Designs  (Read 27518 times)

jdturner11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Designs
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 12:24:33 am »

Damn, these are genius! Keep 'em up! I abandoned that ol' fortress, going to make another one.

Larry421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 01:59:31 am »

Most of my forts are open-plan "enter, shift-numpad9, enter" square rooms. I like them because (a) minimal RSI while designating, and (b) can be broken up into 9 3x3 rooms.

Here is a shot of the more interesting stuff.
Apologies for those who don't like tilesets.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 02:01:07 am by Larry421 »

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 02:01:43 am »

your screenie didnt work.  I like rectangular rooms (square is just weird.  part of why i like making square rooms in the ASCII font ;D) but I will often times put them into fancy patterns.  but this time, i am going with a very grid oriented fort that makes great use of z levels (especially for housing and the catacombs.  every coffin must have a nook.  I cant stand rooms full of coffins...ugh.)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 02:11:29 am »

I always just put all the living quarters (dining room, bedroom, statue garden) all in one area, with all the beds together in one section, with each bed getting a room that overlaps the entire living area, for massive happiness at low cost. Go Team Communism!
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

jdturner11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 09:36:02 am »

Y'all think a statue garden is necessary for Dwarven happiness?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 02:33:34 pm »

Not remotely. So long as their friends aren't dieing the legendary dining room puts them WAY deep into an ecstasy trance.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 08:17:31 pm »

Not remotely. So long as their friends aren't dieing the legendary dining room puts them WAY deep into an ecstasy trance.
Well, that depends.  What kind of housing do you have?  Even with a legendary dining room dwarves will go ballistic from time to time, if you have them stuffed in a dormitory and there is much death, this becomes more likely.  The point is, getting a legendary zoo, statue garden, dining room, and giving all dwarves really nice bedrooms and putting nice things throughout your fortress will not hurt the happiness factor (just dont put any vermin in the zoo.  It makes some dwarves grumpy.)
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Saposhiente

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENGINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 08:30:42 pm »

They all get a really nice bedroom with a personal office, dining room statue garden, and tons of furniture. The fact that they all get the same room doesn't stimulate their capitalism glands any less.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'
Fun

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2010, 10:11:32 pm »

a Mist Generator will also work wonders on dwarves and t seems to stack whenever a dwarf encounters the mist.

Most of my dwarves have over 4000 happiness (check with dwarf therapist) and it is year 3. And the 4 dwarves that have made artifacts have over 5000.

No. Nobody make that joke. Just don't.

Harudoku

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼«☼Dwarf Fortress☼»☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2010, 11:34:12 pm »

I've got two good examples.
This one here's one of my oldest fortresses (before I decided to put coffers and such in everyone's rooms, hence why they all look terrible with clothes everywhere)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Of course, my fortresses are always multi-tiered things, so that's just the living areas and not the work areas.

Here's a more recent Fortress' version. Note the little lever in the Baron's room.
The little cages in the arena are gobbos. Perfect training.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 12:07:10 am by Harudoku »

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2010, 11:59:51 pm »

Here's a more recent Fortress' version. Note the little lever in the Baron's room.
The little cages in the arena are gobbos. Perfect training.

Prime example of why I hate engraving leaving symbols: It took me a while to realize that there was not, in fact, some sort of party in said baron's room.
A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2010, 12:54:31 am »

Well, that depends.  What kind of housing do you have?  Even with a legendary dining room dwarves will go ballistic from time to time, if you have them stuffed in a dormitory and there is much death, this becomes more likely.  The point is, getting a legendary zoo, statue garden, dining room, and giving all dwarves really nice bedrooms and putting nice things throughout your fortress will not hurt the happiness factor (just dont put any vermin in the zoo.  It makes some dwarves grumpy.)
Ok yes, they don't go nuts if nobody dies except when people are dieing.

You've got to deprive them of a lot of stuff to get tantrums despite a legendary dining room. Death effects add up in a severe way though (maybe they are multiplicative? Or just huge to begin with.)
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2010, 02:06:50 am »

Ok yes, they don't go nuts if nobody dies except when people are dieing.

You've got to deprive them of a lot of stuff to get tantrums despite a legendary dining room. Death effects add up in a severe way though (maybe they are multiplicative? Or just huge to begin with.)
Well it depends on if its some random dead guy who gets shoved in a coffin right away or if it was their best friend who rots outside the fort while the siege prevents burial.  if you have dwarves idling...lots of #2 happens...
[DWARFINEERING]

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2010, 02:50:11 am »

a Mist Generator will also work wonders on dwarves and t seems to stack whenever a dwarf encounters the mist.

Most of my dwarves have over 4000 happiness (check with dwarf therapist) and it is year 3. And the 4 dwarves that have made artifacts have over 5000.

Urist, what does the scouter say about his HAPPINESS LEVEL?

ITS OVER 9000!!!!

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2010, 03:15:03 am »

Urist, what does the scouter say about his HAPPINESS LEVEL?

ITS OVER 9000!!!!

How large would a mist generator system have to be to successfully pump around multiple 6/7 squares of water?
[DWARFINEERING]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6