Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Dwarven Designs  (Read 27522 times)

jdturner11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Designs
« on: November 30, 2010, 04:06:56 am »

How do you construct your bedrooms, workshop rooms, breweries, forgeries?

Paste 'em here! I'm sure a lot of players would appreciate seeing new designs (really refreshes the game).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 04:33:21 am by jdturner11 »

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Designs
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 04:20:03 am »

Here's my basic layout:

• Entrance with initial serrated disc weapon traps followed by cage traps, and a couple bears on thief spotter duty
  • 10-story Pit-O-Doom next to animal storage and near military training area
  • Danger Room near barracks, weapon/armor storage, and archery range
  • Trade Depot next to stockpiles
  • Main dining hall next to food storage. I almost always sandwich it between the fields and food storage.
  • Farming plots, with two currently active and one with the roof removed to grow sun berries, also contains a seed barrel stockpile in the middle
  • Main food storage, with stills, kitchen and fishery for easy access to ingredients
  • Stairwell with a well in the middle
  • Hospital near well, with each bed adjacent an operating table and a traction bench
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 05:46:12 am by AngleWyrm »

jdturner11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 04:24:20 am »

Posted mine!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 04:34:18 am by jdturner11 »

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 04:51:44 am »

I give every dwarf a bedroom at least, I shoot for a bedroom, dining room, and office for every dwarf.  I will stack these using the sandwhich method away from any mining so dwarves dont get disturbed.  They all get cabinets, boxes, bags, tables, chairs, and if I am feeling extra kind, armor racks and weapon stands.  I dont know why I would bother with the weapon racks, we never have a military in my fort... I try to blend a statue garden with a dining hall with misting technology in a single color block.  (Marble or magnetite works great for this.)  Storage is usually in the soil layers but later on I have no problems hauling a little stone to make room for stuff. 

EDIT:The sandwhich method is where you build an access hallway with stairs in it.  then, above and below it for as many levels as you like build staircases going straight down.  each level build a bedroom for each staircase.  very space efficient and it lowers pathing costs overall (if dwarves want to sleep in their room, they only have one place to path to.)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 01:52:23 pm by Xenos »
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

jdturner11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 04:57:10 am »

Sand-which method?

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 05:37:22 am »

Sand-Witch method? Oooh new class :P

Mantonio

• Bay Watcher
  • Make Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 06:04:01 am »

I usually try to give all my dwarfs a 2x2 room. Big enough for a bed, a cabinet and a chest.

Is it too small for them though, do you think?
Who's the greatest warrior ever?
A hero of renown?
Who slayed an evil ocean?
Who cast the Lich King down?
BILLY!

jdturner11

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 06:29:35 am »

I'd say 3x3, but 2x2 certainly can work. Just smooth the walls.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 10:27:47 am »

Here's the first thing I dig out:
Bedroom design is extremely simple:

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 11:07:08 am »

ahhh, I wish I was at home to post pic's....
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

Bullettooth Todd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 12:30:08 pm »

The Bedrooms and central meeting hall. Noble Office and quarters south of the hall.   Working on containers and cabinets now.

belannaer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 01:25:01 pm »

I'm currently playing on a flat piece of land building a massive overground fortress, although I've been spending a lot of effort on underground lately as well. Anyways here's my workshops:

Directly above them is located stockpiles of materials they use and end products are then moved to below them or to other stackpiles elsewhere.

Included a Stonesense pic as well as they are always nice. On right bottom corner I'm building 4 new similar buildings for forges etc. Top left is my unfinished arena and golden glass topped zoo and other nice stuff here and there :)

Here is my food production level in my tower. The empty rooms are food stockpiles. In the middle is 5 artifact querns/millstones and artifact mechanism. On the top is my golden glass topped trade depot and dozens of my dwarves.

Acperience

• Bay Watcher
  • Introjection
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 02:49:21 pm »

Self-explanatory and annotated for her your pleasure.

The upper 5 levels is just a boring ol' magma chamber/trap still incomplete

« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 03:10:11 pm by Acperience »

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 05:42:20 pm »

I seem to be unable to make a fort where I don't plan it out from the very beginning to be able to fit 200+ dwarves. While it does end up more organized, my forts seem to lack the sort of character organic forts have.

Here's the main level of my fort (zoomed out) - I'm trying to go for a sort of "upside down buildings" sort of deal, where I have a main "street" level and each section expands downwards to fit my needs. As you can see, it's nowhere near done, so I added labels to describe my future plans.

This is the second level, to give you a better idea of how I structure the individual 'buildings.'

...and here is the outside of the fort, which also isn't done yet, but it should give you the general idea of my defense - lots of bridges to control enemy movement, which allows me to reset traps at my leisure even if I'm still under siege, along with what will eventually be two towers for archers to fire down at attackers from. And it's hard to see, but there are logs lying everywhere from clear cutting nearly the entire forest :D

I used a similar design back in an old 40d fort of mine, http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-8277-hallbanners . And I'm probably going to upload this one year by year to DFMA once I stop being lazy about it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 05:51:45 pm by Chicken Launcher »
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

twilightdusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 05:54:55 pm »

A man would see that as a difficult challenge.
An elf would see that and despair.
A dwarf would see that and say, "Bring it on."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6