Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Obsession with "New Age" Vampires?  (Read 7539 times)

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obsession with "New Age" Vampires?
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2010, 01:46:24 am »

It's harder to make cute dance songs about festering corpses that drink blood and spread disease than sexy vampires.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2010, 01:55:42 am »

It's harder to make cute dance songs about festering corpses that drink blood and spread disease than sexy vampires.

It's harder to make cute dance songs about Count Chocula than sexy vampires.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2010, 01:57:33 am »

hey u guys forgot about him:

fricking guy is all over the place with his personality.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2010, 02:39:42 am »

Psychic vampires? There is one in the Dark Tower series by Stephen King.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2010, 02:51:56 am »

So argument about culture.

Old time vampires seem to be zombies in fact. And if you look at them, I do not think they were called vampires, just something close to it.

I would not be surprised if Stoker took the name (and twisted it a bit) but made up his own beast (Or more likely took it from more obscure sources.)

Thus, old time vampires = zombies not vampires.

Still Ephemeriis seems to be deliberately obtuse here, of course when things change they change.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2010, 03:31:20 am »

Do you mean classical zombies or more recent incarnations? (Sorry couldn't help it)

On a more serious note I wasn't aware that folklaw vampires were rotten or fetid. When dug up proof of vampirism was often in their healthy, ruddy appearance.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2010, 03:37:00 am »

just something to think about:

if we talk about medieval lore, we should not forget what the meaning of blood was.
drinking blood and eating flesh was a very strong affirmation in a mostly fundamentalist Christian culture.

speaking of cultural change, now we have true blood, which get the blood part and ditch away all the medieval symbolism about it

so even what we now assume is a classical vampire trait it is not what it used to be.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2010, 03:44:40 am »

True Blood does no such thing. Vampires still have to drink blood. That it's possible to manifacture a substitute, syntethic blood, is irrelevant.
Love, scriver~

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2010, 03:47:18 am »

True Blood makes us question the humanity the vampires actually have in the first place. I often wonder while watching whether Vampire Bill is actually in love with Sookie, or if it's actually just an incredibly well-developed ruse to get her to feed him her blood.

There's some question about whether or not True Blood is actually a sustainable substitute for real blood, too.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 01, 2010, 04:40:05 am »

Do you mean classical zombies or more recent incarnations? (Sorry couldn't help it)

East Europe=Classical in this sense so classical, I will say Voodoo=voodoo Recent is both.

On a more serious note I wasn't aware that folklaw vampires were rotten or fetid. When dug up proof of vampirism was often in their healthy, ruddy appearance.

That came after the older myths. Which came after even older myths, which most likely came from a explanation why such and such had a hickey on their neck even though their significant other just died.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2010, 06:52:46 am »

Personally I think the Underworld series is the best iteration of vampires ever created...

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2010, 08:13:26 am »

folklaw

Stay out of the old forest at night, or the police might get you.

Something like that.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 01, 2010, 08:22:20 am »

So argument about culture.

Old time vampires seem to be zombies in fact. And if you look at them, I do not think they were called vampires, just something close to it.

I would not be surprised if Stoker took the name (and twisted it a bit) but made up his own beast (Or more likely took it from more obscure sources.)

Thus, old time vampires = zombies not vampires.

Still Ephemeriis seems to be deliberately obtuse here, of course when things change they change.

How am I being deliberately obtuse?

The original post was about how "new age" vampires seem to have taken away everything that made vampires cool in the first place.

I've been discussing all the assorted changes the vampire mythos has undergone over the years - from a shambling corpse, to Dracula, to sparkly things.

I don't like Twilight as a book, and I don't like Twilight's vampires.  But as I've stated repeatedly, I have no problem with the updated/altered/Dracula version of vampires.  Nor do I have a problem with things changing in general.

You can certainly call them vampires if you want.  And, seeing as the series appears to be absurdly popular, I'm sure we'll see plenty of other sparkly vampires in the future.  But that doesn't mean it makes sense.

Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2010, 09:18:19 am »

Succubus steal life energy from men to prolong there own. But yeah I get what your driveing at.

Is there actually any benefit for the Succubus in it? I thought that was just something they did to pass time.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 01, 2010, 09:48:05 am »

AFAIK the medieval succubi didn't steal energy. They stole semen from men to inocculate women as incubus. The child born of such an union would be a witch by default, or somesuch.

Also: In folklore, vampirism is not as much a reference to a particular kind of being as it is a practice which is attributed to several kinds of being, from evil spirits, to witches, to elves. In particular, the basque mytholog version of elves, the "basajaun" (literally "forest lord") is sometimes depicted as a vampire of sorts.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7