Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Obsession with "New Age" Vampires?  (Read 7567 times)

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
Re: Obsession with "New Age" Vampires?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2010, 07:46:46 am »

vampire squash are the only vampires worth mentioning :P
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2010, 07:56:33 am »

vampire squash are the only vampires worth mentioning :P

And now it is official... the topic was hit with the derail.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 08:26:49 am »

For those who don't know the wonders of vampire squash:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_pumpkins_and_watermelons

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 08:32:36 am »

Vampires totally exist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_squid

Its name literally means "vampire squid from Hell."
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 08:43:41 am »

there is no a true way of the vampire portrait.

but I like the one white wolf did (before the modernization of course)

and that were emotional. desperately emotional, because to lose all your humanity and becoming feral was the second most dreaded end you can have apart from !!death!!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 09:22:48 am »

You see some vampire like entities in A Song of Ice and Fire called Others.

From what I have read so far they are completely emotionless and bring back the dead as their minions.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2010, 09:55:53 am »

Spoiler: *cough* (click to show/hide)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2010, 10:21:43 am »

Indeed.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2010, 10:39:10 am »

There's no real difference between Old vampire and New vampire. what people think of as "New Age" vampire is real just the male teenager with the vampire template dropped down on them. It's the same brooding, aloof bad boy with a mysterious past that every girls seems to want, but with super power, and those have been around in fan-fiction for ages. There's no true change, it's a combination of wish fulfillment and really, really bad writing.

That's not to say I don't approve of Twilight bashing.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2010, 12:31:29 pm »

There's no real difference between Old vampire and New vampire. what people think of as "New Age" vampire is real just the male teenager with the vampire template dropped down on them. It's the same brooding, aloof bad boy with a mysterious past that every girls seems to want, but with super power, and those have been around in fan-fiction for ages. There's no true change, it's a combination of wish fulfillment and really, really bad writing.

That's not to say I don't approve of Twilight bashing.

Is Twilight even "New Age"? It is just one book

Even Twilight doesn't know how its own vampires work (nor is it consistant with it)

So how could even twilight define new vampires?

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 12:37:34 pm »

Is Twilight even "New Age"? It is just one book

Even Twilight doesn't know how its own vampires work (nor is it consistant with it)

So how could even twilight define new vampires?

Because it's massively popular and likely spawning a bunch of imitators.

But here's a question, what the fuck did Twilight even do that was original? Sparkling? Yes. Vampires can have children? Likely yes. Go out in the sun? No. Don't need human blood necessarily? No. Sexy and gloomy? No, that was Bram Stoker. So what? I don't imagine that the imitators will be imitating sparkling. The only thing I can think of is that "New Age" vampires are ones that are the love interest in supernatural romances targeted towards pre-teen girls.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:47:53 pm by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2010, 12:39:35 pm »

I just want to say, vampire bats were only discovered and named after the vampire myth had already been around for a long time. They're only found in South America, for cris'sake.
This is a pet peeve because I'm an enormous bat fangirl but loathe vampires with every ounce of my being. Especially modern ones. Creep me the hell out. Probably partly because people creep me the hell out and they embody everything I find negative about people.

I'm a huge werewolf fan though, for what it's worth. I second the interpretation that werewolves not really emotional as much as instinctual. Emotion is a really human thing, as in "RARGH I'M GONNA KILL YOU CUZ I'M SO ANGRY", whereas instinct is more, say, automatically going into hunt-kill mode when something nearby looks/behaves like prey. Werewolves not being in control of their own actions in wolf-form is a pretty common thing, and I think it works a lot better when it's less "too angry/emotional to control yourself" and more "brain being overloaded with instinctual behaviours and acting on them while being dimly aware and horrified by your own actions".
But that's just my take.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 12:49:00 pm »

Wow DeKaFu, your opinions on vampires, werewolves, and even bats mirror pretty much everyone local to me, and certainly my tabletop gaming group.  :D
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 12:56:33 pm »

I just want to say, vampire bats were only discovered and named after the vampire myth had already been around for a long time. They're only found in South America, for cris'sake.
This is a pet peeve because I'm an enormous bat fangirl but loathe vampires with every ounce of my being. Especially modern ones. Creep me the hell out. Probably partly because people creep me the hell out and they embody everything I find negative about people.

I'm a huge werewolf fan though, for what it's worth. I second the interpretation that werewolves not really emotional as much as instinctual. Emotion is a really human thing, as in "RARGH I'M GONNA KILL YOU CUZ I'M SO ANGRY", whereas instinct is more, say, automatically going into hunt-kill mode when something nearby looks/behaves like prey. Werewolves not being in control of their own actions in wolf-form is a pretty common thing, and I think it works a lot better when it's less "too angry/emotional to control yourself" and more "brain being overloaded with instinctual behaviours and acting on them while being dimly aware and horrified by your own actions".
But that's just my take.
First off, thank you for correcting me about Vampire Bats, I said I was unsure which name came first so thank you.

Also that is basicly exactly what I think of werewolves, it's good to see another werewolf fan, too few of us seem to exist, most people focus on vampires, which while cool just can't compair to werewolves.

Oh and fqllve, loads of things did vamps haveing kids before twilight. Van Hellsing for one, Blood Rayne, a few others that don't immediately come to mind. And twilight is like 5 books, not one fyi.
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 01:02:06 pm »

The only thing I can think of is that "New Age" vampires are ones that are the love interest in supernatural romances targeted towards pre-teen girls.

Terry Pratchett. Carpe Jugulum. A vampire develops a crush on a moody teen girl because he can't read her mind. Published in 1998. Explain yourself, Meyer. :P

Of course, in that book, the vampires are mostly portrayed as blood-drinking monsters, and eventually get their undead asses handed to them by a bunch of witches.

Except the old count, a Bela Lugosi knockoff named Bela, who makes sure that he isn't too hard to kill so that no one bothers to ensure that he stays dead. He comes back to life every fifty years or so, terrorizes the countryside a bit, and gets killed again. No one seems to mind that much.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7