Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Do I need Deon's Genesis Reptiles for shell? Can I have them?  (Read 916 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Do I need Deon's Genesis Reptiles for shell? Can I have them?
« on: November 30, 2010, 12:46:16 am »

So basically the motherboard on my laptop blew. Cheaper to replace than repair, however this gives numerous headaches, monetary and of course, coding loss (hard drive also died, yeah.... :) ).

In any event, I hated the shell problems associated with 31.XX. It has killed far too many of my dwarves. Yet moods are too good to get rid of.

Questions:

1.) Is there a reliable source of shell now?
2.) Can I please have the source code for Deon's Cave Turtles (I believe he called them that)?
3.) Also is the army training fixed? (because I remember inventing custom workshops for that as well).

Thank you for your time.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: Do I need Deon's Genesis Reptiles for shell? Can I have them?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 02:23:01 am »

This should go into gameplay question section but i'd try anyway:

vanilla-wise, turtle.

2.) Can I please have the source code for Deon's Cave Turtles (I believe he called them that)?
It should be in his download, just go get it?

3.) Also is the army training fixed? (because I remember inventing custom workshops for that as well).
Danger room should work in .18
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 06:42:59 am »

Danger room should work in .18

Some prefer not to use even proper danger rooms still. It can cause the crappiest casualties for no real reason. So to be honest, custom workshops are actually still a better solution for some players.

Thank you for your time.

1.) If you can call turtles reliable? Probably not, so likely going to have to turn to some modding (as with a good percentage of all problems :P)
2). You can use it personally without asking, outside the context of his mod [not like he's got a magic crystal ball to see what people do to his raws :P], and if you ever wanted to repackage them in your own mod you'd have to ask Deon about that. Obviously, using them and claiming them as your own creation/not giving credit when repackaging is a big, bad no-no. :P
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 07:14:03 am »

Some prefer not to use even proper danger rooms still. It can cause the crappiest casualties for no real reason. So to be honest, custom workshops are actually still a better solution for some players.
Shouldn't risk be the fun factor here? We are talking about combat!! If you've gone so far, might as well set all dwarves to innately have legendary combat skill, in all skills.

1.) If you can call turtles reliable? Probably not, so likely going to have to turn to some modding (as with a good percentage of all problems :P)
They show up in caravan, can be purchased upon embark and can be ordered via trade agreement. If you dont have a turtle procurement plan and still embark then it's your problem.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 09:05:45 am »

More importantly, a few updates ago, (.14? .15?) Toady changed moods so that the only time shell is needed is when a dwarf has a specific fetish for shell, as opposed to potentially being an ingredient in any mood. I've never needed a shell for a mood since.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 09:09:37 am »

They show up in caravan, can be purchased upon embark and can be ordered via trade agreement. If you dont have a turtle procurement plan and still embark then it's your problem.
Turtles purchased from caravans or when embarking do not yield shells.  Only raw turtles caught by your fisherdwarf and processed at a fishery leave shells in the current version.  And local turtle sources are not always present, and even when they are inevitably run out.

I just mod the material raws so that hooves and horn count as shell, which lets me meet demands for shell for moods by butchering a cow.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 09:46:17 am »

Shouldn't risk be the fun factor here? We are talking about combat!! If you've gone so far, might as well set all dwarves to innately have legendary combat skill, in all skills.
If you call a high master-level swordsdwarf getting struck down in a danger room just points away from gaining a skill level fun, then sure. But I find fun in playing realistically, setting my own challenges... but not doing the obviously dangerous. Aside from risking mining cotton candy. That kind of risk is fun. It's not just a 'wtf' moment where you lose your uber military dwarf. It's a calculated risk that tends to go awry, with included fun for your whol fortress. Not to mention the reason for danger rooms were to find a reliable and quick way to level skills. We modders have found and made another, safer, way to do so.

But to each his own I guess.

Sphalerite is right. That aside, even assuming embark/traded turtles worked, the question was whether there a reliable source of turtles. I hardly call that 'reliable.' If you do, that sounds like a personal problem. But to me, reliable is more along the lines of some sort of forest on embark for wood, flux stones in the embark area, a magma layer, a farm, etc. Those are reliable.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 09:49:21 am by inEQUALITY »
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.