Poll

Is there a poll?

Yes
- 14 (51.9%)
No
- 13 (48.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Welcome to The Zombie Apocalypse!  (Read 5262 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Welcome to The Zombie Apocalypse!
« on: November 29, 2010, 10:46:45 pm »

Welcome to The Zombie Apocolypse!

If you are reading and participating in this thread, please do not read the thread You Are the Zombie Apocalypse!

In this game, you will all collectively create and control a character or group of characters as they attempt to survive the zombie apocalypse. More than likely, you will die, but each time you do you will pick up where you left off, time-line wise, with characters that are tougher and more capable (simply because they are the only ones still alive). The longer you go without dying, however, the better off you will be, as you will be able to meet and add new characters to your part without the penalty of the old ones dying. In addition, your characters may have new abilities revealed as time passes. Many of these will be free as a consequent of fleshing out your character.

For now, you have 4 character points to spend, and one free "body" to start.
Each additional character costs 1 point, and these character's each start with some free basic knowledge and items.
Adding a better than average profession, particularly noteworthy skill, perk, or proficiency to a character costs between one and three points, depending on its range of applicability and its power. Many of these will include your character getting certain possessions or items.
In addition, you can apply several drawbacks to your characters to make them cheaper. I'll go into this a bit more later. A character can never cost less than 0 points total - however, the negatives granted by such drawbacks as "Emotional Attachment" are dependent on the number of drawbacks held by the character they have the attachment to.

Example:
Sven Greenback, Grocery Bagger, 23 (1 point). Knowledge: Dura-Shop Grocery Store Inventory, layout, location.
Skateboarder (1 point) - Skateboard skill, good. Item: Skateboard. Knowledge: Skate Park Locations. Skate Shop Locations.
Motorcyclist (1 point) - Used to driving motorcycles at high speed. Primary mode of transport. Item: Motorcycle.
Forumgoer (1 point) - You maintain a lot of online connections. Usually this consists of playing crappy forum games and debating politics, but some of these contacts may prove useful in a pinch.
Calm (1 point) - You tend to just roll with whatever happens to you. You don't stress out much, and are generally able to just go with the flow no matter how bad things get.
Total Cost: 5 points

Drawbacks
You can recoup some of your points through the application of "drawbacks". Drawbacks can never reduce a character's cost below zero. The basic drawbacks are Reckless, Panicky, Poor Physical Condition, Physical Disability, Dependent, Strong Emotional Attachment, Absent-minded. Obviously, you can feel free to come up with more.

Emotional Attachment is only for extremely strong attachments. It is worth 1 point to start, and then an additional point for every drawback suffered by the other character (to a maximum of 4).

Example:
Donna Reed, Police Officer, 36 (3 points) Items: Pistol (16 rounds), Taser, Billy Club, Police Car, Handcuffs. Knowledge: Precinct Locations, Police Contacts
Athletic (2) Able to run, swim, jump and climb quite well. Good endurance and strength.
Focused (2) Good attention to details, able to work quickly and efficiently.
Aware (2) More likely to sense and process what is happening around you quickly and effectively.
Emotional Attachment: Single Mother (-3) Your daughter is the most important thing in your life. If you were to lose her, you just don't know what you would do.
Total: 6

Maggie Reed, Child, Daughter of Donna Reed (1 point)
Joyful Innocence (1) Just having this character around makes other character's happier.
Dependent (-1) No useful skills or knowledges, depends largely on another character for survival.
Emotional Attachment: Mother (-1) You need your mommy around to feel safe.
Total Cost: 0 points.

The Setting:
The setting is current day, roughly.

Satistics
Each character will have the following statistics
Cool - How well the character is handling what has happened. As this deteriorates, bad things happen to your mental stability. Having a high Distance or a strong social network is essential to maintaining your cool.
Distance - Distance makes a character less susceptible to the effects of trauma, but has other negative side effects. Emotional connections with others will reduce your Distance.
Happiness - How good a mood a character is in. Tends to fluctuate. How close they are to giving up. Bad moods tend to reduce Cool, but it is perfectly possible a a low Cool character to be perfectly happy.
Health - A character's overall physical state. Injuries, disease, and overexertion can all take their toll on this.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:44:49 pm by GlyphGryph »

Sgt. Sherman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Welcome to The Zombie Apocalypse!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 11:32:58 pm »

Johnothan Monroe: Marine, on leave (3 points) Items: Revolver [18 rounds], Military ID, satelite phone, 5" Knife with half serrated edge, civilian clothing. Knowlege: Military tactics, marksmanship, traditional combat techniques, location of military outposts, bases.
Athletic: Good strength, speed, endurance.(2)
Racer: Skill= Fast driving. Item= Pieco O' Crap Sedan. (1)
Drawback: Post Traumatic Stress Disorder= Rarely, explosions and gunfire will send him into fits of bloodlust or cowardice. (-1 point)
=5
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:09:54 am by Sgt. Sherman »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 11:41:09 pm »

Sounds good to me. We'll wait for some other people to weigh in first, though.

Only problem is Athletic is really a wide enough skill that it is worth two points.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 11:53:19 pm »

Jacob Alder: College student, 22 (1). Items: Cell phone, notebooks. Knowlege: Campus layout, local fast-food places.
Focused (2): Good attention to details, able to work quickly and efficiently.
Aware (2): More likely to sense and process what is happening around you quickly and effectively.
Weak (-1): Not physically fit.
Total: 4

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 12:05:43 am »

Sam Hunter, Street Gang Leader, 18 (1 point). Items: Leather Jacket, leather pants, Switchblade, bottle of hair gel. Knowledge: Location of alleyways, shortcuts around town, members of his gang.
Street Smarts (1 point) - Able to navigate the streets and alleyways of the city with ease.
Ruffian (1 point) - Able to hold his own in combat and is proficient in use of his switchblade.
Headshot (2 points) - A childhood of horror flicks and games has taught Sam to aim for the head of the zeds whenever possible.
Drawback - Cool and Aloof (-1 point) - Sam has trouble forming relationships with others due to his snarky attitude and sarcastic demeanor.
Total Cost: 4 points

Good 'nuff? I always wanted to be a snarky bad boy from the 70's! I'll be like Fonzie in a zombie apocalypse.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 12:08:30 am by Krath »
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

MrNuke

• Bay Watcher
  • Always the trader...trading you some BLUE STUPH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 12:48:13 am »

Prisoner 0001934: Escaped Pyromaniac, 27 years of age (1 point).
Knowledge: Location of Prison, Location of fire department, Location of Military base
Items: Orange Jumpsuit, Face mask, Lead pipe
Tainted Mind (3 points): Has no sense of morale, and is unnafected by the horrors of reality.
Epic Pyro (3 points): Can set fire to almost anything in the world
Drawback: Pyschopath (-3 points): If made mad by anything, has the chance go berserk and murder anyone nearby.
Total Cost: 4

Must find me a flamethrower! Time to murder someone...maybe krath...MWHAHAHAHA
Forgotten Beasts seem to be akin to Toady playing Russian Roulette with your fortress, as they can be anything from harmless giant worms made of mud to necrotic-gas spewing nigh-invunerable iron hydras of doom.

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 12:53:10 am »

So I could start with four 1 point characters?

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 01:17:57 am »

Billy Bob:Redneck, 40 years of age (2 points)
Items: shotgun, 50(Or less) shells, jug o' moonshine
Marksmanship: some  marksmanship from huntin'(2 point)
Moonshinin'!: good at the art of moon shine making(1 points)
Sneaking: From huntin', can move quitely.(2 points)
Drawback:
Rural intelligence: Passin' by the city, uses uneducated language, not too acquainted with new fangled devices.(-2 points)
I got me a famileh!: Was seperated from his family, may break down from remembrance(-1 point)
Total Cost: 4
Any objections?
Hello Hunam

quip

• Bay Watcher
  • ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 04:25:33 am »

So we make the character here? Okay then, how about:
Spoiler: My character (click to show/hide)
If there's no space/ I've misunderstood the rules then can I go on the waiting list if there is one?
Hell hath no fury like an angry vampire pimp.

Sgt. Sherman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 07:37:33 am »

Megaman, i'm not sure, but i think 50 shells is overdoing it a bit. Try maybe 35, since your not carrying anything else.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 08:39:05 am »

So I could start with four 1 point characters?
You could, yes.

With the power of drawbacks, you could even start with more. ^_^

Also, Krath, "Street Gang Leader" is really more of a 2 point position. Street gang member would be 1 point.

Also, Quip, does Mr.Simpleton have any sort of job? Something you could call his profession?

The two characters who have passed so far (though they might not get in quite as is Mr.50 shells) have been added to the poll up top. The other three characters can either be modified to fall within cost, or they can be saved for a little bit later.

Also, Megaman, a two point drawback of rural intelligence implies a bit more than you have there, FYI. ;)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 08:59:45 am by GlyphGryph »

quip

• Bay Watcher
  • ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 10:24:39 am »

From now on? No, he was just made redundant at his job as a clerk at a bank.
Making things up is fun!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 11:51:54 am »

The bit of parkour thing would be easily included in running. So you've still got one more point. (perhaps a pet? A vehicle? A useless wife?)

quip

• Bay Watcher
  • ???
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 12:08:02 pm »

Gah! Curse you and your desire for character depth!
Spoiler: My character (click to show/hide)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 12:15:28 pm »

You're in.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5