Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clothing + Knapping + Extreme survival?  (Read 718 times)

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clothing + Knapping + Extreme survival?
« on: November 29, 2010, 09:30:43 pm »

Okay, so first up, I have briefly searched for this.. But I'll admit my searching skill is abysmal, so I apologize in advance if this has already been asked.

So, this is quite simple. I'm half way there already I think, but I'm just stumped with a little problem.
I'm currently using 0.31.16, however if there's a fix that will only work in a newer version, I'll look into upgrading.
But before I get onto exactly what the problem is, you may have already noticed I'm playing adventurer mode in .16? Strange? Certainly. However, I've spesifically generated a world with no civilizations, so I don't see or feel the bugs in this case.

Right now, my problem is that I'm trying to get a custom reaction that will let me make clothes and weapons for my adventurer. And while at the moment I'm using this to cheat, I'm hoping to develop this one stage further and have a fully working reaction set that means I have to craft a living from litterally nothing.

...That's great... But the trouble I'm having is that whenever my custom reactions create clothes, they always come out as large. Regardless of what my race is. So, I'm currently trying to make small armour, so I know what values need to change, the trouble is, I've tried [PRODUCT_DIMENSION:1] and.. Well, now I'm out of ideas.

...I mean, this is possible, right?
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing + Knapping + Extreme survival?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 09:35:05 pm »

What race are you playing as?
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 09:36:50 pm »

Kobolds have been the major testing point, but I've tried this as elves, dwarves and humans. It's all large.
(Heck, if I knew how large, I'd change my race to be draconic superbeings or something, but...)
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 09:40:56 pm »

Kobolds have been the major testing point, but I've tried this as elves, dwarves and humans. It's all large.
(Heck, if I knew how large, I'd change my race to be draconic superbeings or something, but...)

Hm, odd indeed. I'll test this out on .18 tomorrow, if no one else beats me to it first. (It's late here, and my modding juices have all been spent on my own stuff tonight. :P)

Malaclypse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 10:24:54 pm »

In creature_standard, look for these two lines in the human profile, and change all the numbers to 125. That will ensure that your human adventurer is the maximum size within the normal human size range. Remember that if you do this in your -base- raw files, newly generated worlds will contain only very large humans. Probably better to change it only in the specific save's raw file. You could, of course, just change the base size- that goes for any race. But I'm not entirely sure what the threshold is, so if you want to go that route you'll have to experiment with it yourself.

[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]

[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]

(When a new creature is generated, a number is chosen randomly from both of those lists. Those two numbers are used as percentage modifiers to that specific creature's size, thus creating random variation within the various species. For adventurers, the middle [4th] value is always used for those, I am fairly certain.)

----------

EDIT: After some quick calculation and a reasonable assumption, my guess is that the size threshold for that clothing to be considered normal rather than large is 100000. Haven't tested that, but I previously did some experimenting with one of the adventure mode mods to see if I could get it to work; a dwarf with both height and broadness set to 1.25 times the base (which is 60000) is unable to wear clothing created through reactions in adventure mode. The size for such a dwarf is 93750. A human with both modifiers set to 1.25 times the norm is able to wear said clothing, and has a size of 109375. With those numbers straddling 100000, I'd guess that's the threshold, since it's a nice round number. Seems like the sort of thing that the size of things might default to.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 10:51:37 pm by Malaclypse »

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 10:45:21 pm »

I was under the impression that clothing labeled large and small had to do with the creature's body size, not height/broadness modifiers...

Kiktamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 10:48:31 pm »

It's actually a common problem for any world generated before 0.31.18 also I don't think the appearance modifiers have anything to do with it pretty sure it's [BODY_SIZE:years:days:size] that needs to be altered not sure into what though.

Malaclypse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 10:58:14 pm »

From the creature_standard raw file:

Code: [Select]
These body modifiers give individual dwarves different characteristics.  In the case of HEIGHT, BROADNESS and LENGTH, the modifier is also a percentage change to the BODY_SIZE of the individual creature.  The seven numbers afterward give a distribution of ranges.  Each interval has an equal chance of occurring.

[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:HEIGHT:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]
[APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE:500]
[BODY_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:BROADNESS:75:95:98:100:102:105:125]
[APP_MOD_IMPORTANCE:500]

That being the case, and considering what I said before about the results I got, my conclusion is that there is some sort of threshold that needs to be met, or something. Maybe it's that the creature has to be within a certain range of the size of the armor, or something. Probably the armor size in fortress mode is set based on the base size of the race being used, but no size is specified in adventure mode, so it defaults to a default value.