Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ipod app?  (Read 1364 times)

TRodS

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
Ipod app?
« on: November 29, 2010, 07:11:27 am »

So like, this is a more or less "there should be" rather than a suggestion or request... Especially since I don't have anything near the technological knowhow to do this sort of thing but without digressing further into the disclaimer here's the thing I'm talking about.

We have a few generations of Ipod, and I'm sure DF fans have ipods. Has anyone had the idea of either putting out a DF that works for ipods, or (and this one takes the cake I think) making an app similar to dwarf therapist, that way you can have the whole monitor for DF and the Ipod for the manager. I mean, I guess I could just use two monitors, but if I do that then I could watch Eureka or Dexter while I play which would take up that second monitor... :p

Mckee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ipod app?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 08:24:46 am »

Honestly, I dont think you could run anything like DF on an ipod, just not the hardware for it. Its been talked about before on here, general consensus is that it wouldnt work.
As for Therapist, could work in theory. Seems awful complicated compared to pressing my windows key or Alt + Tab. Guess I'm a one screen kinda guy.
'What good is a lesson if your idiot is too dead to learn from it?'

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 10:53:32 am »

There is no phone powerful enough to run Dwarf Fortress.

But... wasn't there like a networked shell version? Someone a while back made a version that can be played through an SSI or Telnet client.  Something like that could work for handheld devices like an iPod touch or an Android phone.  Interfacing it would be a problem.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 11:24:48 am »

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 04:34:57 pm »

There is no phone powerful enough to run Dwarf Fortress.

But... wasn't there like a networked shell version? Someone a while back made a version that can be played through an SSI or Telnet client.  Something like that could work for handheld devices like an iPod touch or an Android phone.  Interfacing it would be a problem.

lets be honest, theres no pc or console powerful enough to run df

if you push it - large world several thousand years of gen, a large site, pop at 200 etc
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Gamli

• Bay Watcher
  • Will fight to the death over shiny black rock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 06:57:57 pm »

I have no interest in iPad, iPod, iPhone anything. 
Steve Jobs requires every iPhone app to be written in his hobby project Objective-C, which I find extremely weird.

But a proprietary Dwarf Fortress appliance device?  I would totally buy that, especially if it had a Nordic look and feel.

TRodS

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Wait... what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 04:34:39 am »

Apologies for repost. I did a search I swear it  :-[

These are pretty good points.
I especially like de5me7's response about no machine really being able to truly handle df.... Infinite possibilities + finite machine =  :(
(couldn't think of what to actually type on the other side of the equals sign but that seems to work)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 04:51:19 am »

Just to note if the terminal version is too complex then there is also a flash based version that should run on any decent phone with a browser. Obviously none of the idevices will due to apple's choice in denying flash to it's customers, but everything else should be fine.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Mdort Goblinsmiter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • JDS on YouTube!
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 04:54:22 pm »

lets be honest, theres no pc or console powerful enough to run df

if you push it - large world several thousand years of gen, a large site, pop at 200 etc

I think the main issue with performance is it's lack of ability to utilize multi-core and graphic co-processors (CUDA for example).
Check out my Dwarf Fortress tutorial series on Youtube.