Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: redundant  (Read 3227 times)

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
redundant
« on: November 28, 2010, 09:22:04 pm »

stupid
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:52:18 pm by Kearn »
i like goats

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: GOBLINS REALLY WANT ME DEAD
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 09:24:43 pm »

Well then. Fight back!
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

Kearn

• Bay Watcher
  • insert witty tagline here
    • View Profile
Re: redundant
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:27:38 pm »

dumb
« Last Edit: March 11, 2015, 11:52:26 pm by Kearn »
i like goats

UnrealJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 09:28:36 pm »

How many of the goblins are bowmen?
Huochong sounds like what you hear when a ninja hits somebody with a frying pan.

"HUOOOOOOOOOO-"
*CHONG*

MijRai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 10:11:36 pm »

Which siege is this for you? I got 51 goblins, all mounted on Voracious Cave Crawlers, a pair being Elite Bowmen (who took out half of my military through the fortifications) on my second siege.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 10:13:36 pm »

I once redirected a river to kill a siege. A pumping array with a superpressurised high-altitude cistern may work as well.

Or you could just use magma...personally, I like drowning them.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 01:43:24 am »

Which siege is this for you? I got 51 goblins, all mounted on Voracious Cave Crawlers, a pair being Elite Bowmen (who took out half of my military through the fortifications) on my second siege.

It probably didn't look as awesome as I'm imagining, it, but fuck it. That's awesome.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

MijRai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 03:01:04 am »

It probably didn't look as awesome as I'm imagining, it, but fuck it. That's awesome.

The fort is still running, albeit under siege. Training a new marksdwarf squad, pumping out armor and weapons, hoping the cave crawlers actually go for my cave-in pillars, and wondering about a way to get rid of those Elite Bowmen...

NewSheoth

• Bay Watcher
  • City of Madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 03:49:24 am »

Sadly, building destroyers don't seem to react to pillars. Now, if you used a maze with a cave-in prepared to fill it in, with a statue at the end...
That's not the biggest siege possible but it's possibly the biggest you will get on that fort. With sieges of such size, there are two remedies possible: use cage traps, LOTS of cage traps (yes, over 150), or use water or magma - pump it up somewhere high enough to be unreachable for the siege or simply far away enough for it to fill up faster than it will take the siege to get there (or just use a drawbridge-controlled door to finish the digging). Magma works best in this case, especially with pumps. If you have a volcano, you could try and make a daring attempt to tunnel up to its edge and pierce the top or even the side. This will leave you without a map to speak of, though. You will have a really nice magma lake to compensate for that, though.
" It... it's finally over. Oh Armok it was like the end of days in some kind of gristly death bathtub of untold horror and wow that is a nice waterfall."
Embarked on a haunted volcano. I am currently terrorized by skeletal alligators.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 04:52:42 am »

This is why I no longer use fortifications, or marksdwarves.  You might as well have your barracks outside the entrance, for all the protection it provides from elite units.  Better to lure them inside the winding corridor and have your axedorfs get in a few swings at close range rather than be picked off from 30 tiles away.

I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 05:02:20 am »

This is why I no longer use fortifications, or marksdwarves.  You might as well have your barracks outside the entrance, for all the protection it provides from elite units.  Better to lure them inside the winding corridor and have your axedorfs get in a few swings at close range rather than be picked off from 30 tiles away.

This dwarf speaks the truth! I use walls that wind through my outside barracks. There's a sheer U-turn, which means that ranged units get 2 or 3 ticks before my entire military comes crashing down on their head. Also, my hospital is right next to that, so the wounded act as a kind of defensive mechanism to help my dwarves flee to the depths.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2010, 09:30:14 am »

This dwarf speaks the truth! I use walls that wind through my outside barracks. There's a sheer U-turn, which means that ranged units get 2 or 3 ticks before my entire military comes crashing down on their head. Also, my hospital is right next to that, so the wounded act as a kind of defensive mechanism to help my dwarves flee to the depths.
Brilliant. I love dwarf fortress.
I just once had 5 full squads back in 40d. One with marksgoobos. Champion wrestlers solved that problem.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Megaman3321

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm everywhere but this Universe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2010, 09:40:16 am »

Do you have any caged megabeasts?  :D Or, for that matter, Seige Engines? I've heard you can hold off an entire seige with just one ballista... 8)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 09:43:29 am by Megaman3321 »
Glacial on dwarves being assigned socks:
You see, here's how I think this works:
Overseer: Welcome to the military! You need to wear socks! Dorf: Oh, I should get military socks. My socks are civilian socks. Dorf discards socks Dorf: You know, I need a whole lot of gear now. I should get socks... last. Oh, but these steel boots with the white goo on them are nice!
I know you can pick up water, then throw said water, while underwater, to kill a fish -He_Silent_H

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 09:41:44 am »

Hey! You sigged me!

I don't get sigged often. I'm going to go and get wasted, hire some cheap hookers and mix some Fisherman's Friends with LSD, so that when I start dropping it, I'll see in all the colours of the Mint Rainbow!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Sir Iryn

• Bay Watcher
  • Fier et fort
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 11:50:36 am »

I've got a nasty Human Fortress at the moment. 3z high walls with fortifications and archers. The gate house has 56 weapon traps filled with masterwork obsidian swords. I call it the woodchipper. (I make woodchipper noises whenever siegers run into it too.)
When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.
"Well, everything's going to shit, but on the bright side, My coffin industry is doing very well."
Pages: [1] 2 3